PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why are the pats 16 Million Under the cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwallnuts

Rookie
Reaction score
Is it possible that the Kraft's will not let Belechick spend to the cap? Think about it, why would Belichick want to be 16 mil under? I could see future years not spending big money becasue of cap reasons, but to be 16mil under
for this year, it makes no sense. If the pats don't use this money to sign current players to long term deals, I think the Kraft's coulg be the reason. If this is the case, will Belichick eventually leave?

NEM said:
They have to pay off Charlie Weis's Jenny Craig Bill. :D
What, Charlie's not fat, he's big-boned.

mrwallnuts said:
Is it possible that the Kraft's will not let Belechick spend to the cap? Think about it, why would Belichick want to be 16 mil under? I could see future years not spending big money becasue of cap reasons, but to be 16mil under
for this year, it makes no sense. If the pats don't use this money to sign current players to long term deals, I think the Kraft's coulg be the reason. If this is the case, will Belichick eventually leave?

I am guessing that you have delayed gratification issues and feel no responsibility to search for the umpteen threads that have regurgitated this ad nauseum.

The bottom line is that nobody in these forums can offer any more than an educated presumption based upon past years. The conclusion is that the money will be spent on extensions and advancing some due bonus money, not to mention emergency FA signings during the season.

Why would you think that Bob Kraft is the problem? This is a man that paid for a new stadium with his own money. This is a man that brought all of these damned johnny-come-lately caviar fans with their deep pockets to the stadium. This is a man that launched the first ever NFL web page in a foregin language (Chinese). This is a man that has proven to be one of the most savvy owners in the league and is highly respected as a businessman unilaterally. This is a man that is from MA and bought the Patriots to make them a winning franchise. This is a man that paid the price to obtain the best current coach in the NFL.

Why the hell would he undermine his own team/business??????

Some of that space was for Ty Law, some of it was possibly for extending contracts (Branch, Koppen et al) and some for the fund to sign a player or 2 during the season. Of course, Law fell through, Branch never got extended and a lot of guys got overpayed the first few weeks of free agency.

I suspect now they will try and sign deals with some upcoming FA's including Koppen/ Wilson and the Graham.

Aldogg said:
Some of that space was for Ty Law, some of it was possibly for extending contracts (Branch, Koppen et al) and some for the fund to sign a player or 2 during the season. Of course, Law fell through, Branch never got extended and a lot of guys got overpayed the first few weeks of free agency.

That's what I said in a post a while back. We tried to sign players, it didn't happen. If there's no one else worth the money you set aside, what are you supposed to do?

The example I used was a guy goes to a Dodge dealership with $100,000 cash looking to get a Viper. The dealer tells him he's out of Vipers but has some nice Chargers instead. Is the guy supposed to give him $100,000 cash for a car worth 1/3 that?

Were we supposed to give Seau $5 million just because?

Crazy Patriot Guy said:
That's what I said in a post a while back. We tried to sign players, it didn't happen. If there's no one else worth the money you set aside, what are you supposed to do?

The example I used was a guy goes to a Dodge dealership with $100,000 cash looking to get a Viper. The dealer tells him he's out of Vipers but has some nice Chargers instead. Is the guy supposed to give him $100,000 cash for a car worth 1/3 that?

Were we supposed to give Seau $5 million just because?

ya i remember u using this analogy a while back
def right on

id love to see us extend koppen
id like graham, assante, and gay (but wouldnt break the bank for any of these three)

anyone know who some other fa's from other teams will be???

we're not the only team that far under.. i remember hearing on WEEI that 10 teams or somehting like that are 10mil or more under.. theres just so much extra money now with cap the way it is..

asante and koppen should be the priority right now.

mrwallnuts said:
they don't misspend and save for a rainy day. but you might be right, they're not smart there, i mean they've only won 3 superbowls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots