PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why are so many Patsfan members spoiled rotten?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a fan since Bob Kraft bought the team. Prior to that I was just a casual observer who knew very little about football.

I think what they've accomplished thus far is GREAT. With that said I won't be satisfied with this season until we've won the Lombardi Trophy. Does anyone disagree with me on that??? So when some of us are critical it's because we've come to expect a certain level of play. It's only natural.

The offense this season is at it's best EVER. However let's be honest the defense isn't great nor even as good as in recent years. Most of that has to do with age at LB. Stopping the run has clearly been an issue this season. So when we see the offense struggle, in inclement weather especially, I think it's fair only to show concern heading into the playoffs.

Last edited:
Re: Refresh my memory: the game was played in wind and freezing rain, right?

This is something I noticed on ESPN and in the NY daily papers today - I was flying back here to L.A. on jet blue (got engaged this weekend) - almost NO talk about the wind and rain. It was all about the jets D deserving credit. WHICH THEY DO, don't get me wrong. But the fact that there was such scant acknowledgment of the conditions, and how they factored into the passing game woes is beyond me.

This is something I noticed on ESPN and in the NY daily papers today - I was flying back here to L.A. on jet blue (got engaged this weekend) - almost NO talk about the wind and rain. It was all about the jets D deserving credit. WHICH THEY DO, don't get me wrong. But the fact that there was such scant acknowledgment of the conditions, and how they factored into the passing game woes is beyond me.

Congrats on the engagement.

Congrats on the engagement.

Thanks! It was an awesome weekend that finished up with watching the Pats beat the jets on local tv - her dad's a jet fan but he was cool about it.

My feeling on the Pats-jets PERFORMANCE - as opposed to the weather's influence on it - is that I'd be PSYCHED if it was just a matter of Brady and the WRs being out of sync. That can be FIXED.

OTOH, if it's the wind, we have no control over that - aside from trying to learn from yesterday and make baby steps of progress in those conditions. So hopefully the next game, and the home playoff games (not to mention at the Giants), the weather forecast, if foul, will not call for high winds. THAT is what causes problems. Rain and snow can kiss my ass.

Last edited:

I agree there's too much whining about a win. But that doesn't mean there aren't reasons to be uneasy about yesterday's game. We may play in elements again, and the kind of effort we put out yesterday may very well not be enough to beat a better team. It doesn't make a guy a whiner to note that. I think it's worth discussion, so long as it doesn't get to be a silly gripe session like this board has become today. There is definitely a middle ground.

Here's my problem with saying the elements explains Brady's performance. Pennington has been on the bench much of the year, and doesn't have half the talent Brady does. But he was sharper. He didn't force the ball as much, even though his team was losing. In the same weather conditions -- and even going into the wind in the 4th quarter -- he faced the same elements and his passing game was more sharp.

I also think the game would not have been as close if we hadn't taken a bunch of stupid false start penalties. Needing 15 yards in a series is a big problem in weather.

All that said, I was left with a mild sense of unease. I'd love to say "Brady managed the game and took a hit to his stats for the sake of the team," which I think is the pollyanna-ish response of some. I think he has not looked good in 2 of the last 3 games, and even though I agree that the weather had a lot to do with yesterday I don't chalk yesterday's performance entirely up to the elements.

:agree: Happy with the win, happy with the overall effort, unhappy with the execution. Had "Hands" McCareins avoided bobbling the ball, Jets would have been within 3 before the two-minute warning.

here's what I would have liked to see: Hanson handling the damned snap :( , better coverage on the final kickoff :mad: , and no false start penalties! :enranged: I also would have liked to see Brady being more selective with his passes and dumping off to the open man, settling for 7-8 yards instead of going for 30-40 yards in that weather.

In short, I would have been more than happy with a 27-6 win instead of 20-10. With better execution on a handful of plays that would have been possible. Spoiled? Maybe, but I don't think it's beyond reasonable expectation. Do you?

blahblahblah....

yeah, and how did the jets score their td?

but I guess they get to keep that while you add all your imaginary scoring.

I think this may be the blueprint -- just pretend you score more than the pats.

I agree there's too much whining about a win. But that doesn't mean there aren't reasons to be uneasy about yesterday's game. We may play in elements again, and the kind of effort we put out yesterday may very well not be enough to beat a better team. It doesn't make a guy a whiner to note that. I think it's worth discussion, so long as it doesn't get to be a silly gripe session like this board has become today. There is definitely a middle ground.

Here's my problem with saying the elements explains Brady's performance. Pennington has been on the bench much of the year, and doesn't have half the talent Brady does. But he was sharper. He didn't force the ball as much, even though his team was losing. In the same weather conditions -- and even going into the wind in the 4th quarter -- he faced the same elements and his passing game was more sharp.

I realize there's an aspect here of each team taking what the other was giving. That's true. Patriots focused on run. On defense, they were content to play run first and allow dink and dunk passes, but Pennington put a lot of those passes on the screws in a way Brady didn't in the same conditions. That explains some of why Pennington looked more sharp, but not all of it. Particularly when you take into account that Pennington played from behind all day, yet Brady was the one who looked like he was trying to jam passes in there. And there were several sets where the Jets were jamming the box and Brady was still missing his targets.

And at the end of the day, the Jets were in pretty good position to be in contention late. We were a miss on a short FG away from being in a one-possession game with 3:00 left and the Jets with all time outs. Actually, it was worse than that -- on the replay call, Pennington delivered the ball and it should have been a TD to make it a 3 point game. It wasn't, of course, and we converted opportuities they didn't. We won that game yesterday on turnovers, not anything else.

I also think the game would not have been as close if we hadn't taken a bunch of stupid false start penalties. Needing 15 yards in a series is a big problem in weather.

All that said, I was left with a mild sense of unease. I'd love to say "Brady managed the game and took a hit to his stats for the sake of the team," which I think is the pollyanna-ish response of some. I think he has not looked good in 2 of the last 3 games, and even though I agree that the weather had a lot to do with yesterday I don't chalk yesterday's performance entirely up to the elements.

Excellent post. Sums it up well. My take is that each season Brady has a stinker or two and he just had his Sunday, ignoring open receivers and forcing the ball to Moss deep where the weather conditions affected the ball's trajectory too much. I hope that the coachs use this as a teaching opportunity.

I'm impressed that the run worked so well with Sprach at newbie TE most of the game.

If we make it to the Superbowl, it's quite likely that two, three or even all four of the upcoming games will look similar to yesterday. Late season football in the NE is very rarely a pretty thing.

yeah, and how did the jets score their td?

but I guess they get to keep that while you add all your imaginary scoring.

I think this may be the blueprint -- just pretend you score more than the pats.

???

I don't understand. I get that it was a 10 point game. I was pretty clear I was complaining about a win, which is a special species of complaining that shouldn't be overstated. Did you even really read my post?

But I still think there are grounds to find concern sometimes in wins. We may need to play in weather going forward. If this was our test, I'd grade us out at a C+. Our opponent was worse, happily, and we won.

I have only one theory and it is ESPN....

most band wagon fans are not really versed in football, they are more like rock star groupies who, like moths, are attracted to the light given off rather then the substance.

So when ESPN predicts blowouts, slaughters etc, these band wagoners expect just that never realizing the truth that it is HARD, HARD to win in this NFL of parity even without a HUGE MEDIA TARGET pinned to your chest.

The Pats get everyones "A" game because to knock off the Pats is a real feather in ones cap with a guaranteed weeks worth of interviews on ESPN and if you do not think that factors into the equation remember what some of the Steelers said about Smiths guarantee, "Hey man he has been on ESPN all week".

Thus unfulfilled expectations of ESPN fantasy's creates an emotional crash that feels like the team Lost the Game rather then that the team is on a possibly Historic run to the Super Bowl

Its a Really Really sad situation, all these opportunities too be happy, Gleeful and content utterly destroyed by talking heads without any soul, without any understanding and without loyalty to anything except their own self importance.

GJAJ15
"Was thinking this AM, that is scary, our team has played just about every game in the elements.. when Peyton set his records he played at least half in a weather controlled dome... if Brady breaks it, he will have even more credibility.. "

I was thinking the same thing. I.E. Manning gets half of his stats playing in a dome,no (Talking Head) ever mentions that. And if Bradys breaks Manning's mark, it will be more impressive.

That is also one of the things that makes Favre's records impressive as well. Marino played in sunny Miami while Favre played in the frozen tundra.

I wouldn't say pats fans are spoiled rotten. You have to remember that you are judging the entire fanbase off of a message board.

I wouldn't say pats fans are spoiled rotten. You have to remember that you are judging the entire fanbase off of a message board.

ummmm I think the OP is referring to THIS FORUM only,Not the entire fanbase

Right P64?

VERY wishful thinking. Sustained success in the NFL is all about the Quarterback position. The Patriots have been incredibly lucky at that position. They had the great luck of getting the #1 pick in 1993, as Drew Bledsoe was the #3 QB to enter the league in the 1990's, after Brett Favre and Peyton Manning. Then in 2000, the greatest QB of this generation or any generation falls into their lap in the 6th round. Aside from the rare start from Zolak or Secules, the Patriots have only had two starting QB's since 1993, both of them multi-time pro bowlers. Bottom line, finding an excellent starting QB is extremely hard. Look at what the Ravens have been through for their entire history. Or what the Bills and Dolphins have been through after Kelly and Marino left. I think the Patriots will likely end up in the same position post-Brady, if they avoid it, their incredible luck will continue.

Except the Ravens won a Super Bowl.:confused:

All the whining and misery is a by product of a lack of history.

There are alot of folks on this board who have only followed the team since 2001. They have no memory of Jim Plunkett, John Hannah or Russ Francis. The new fans have no history. I only go back to the mid 70's and there are plenty on this board who go back even further. We understand what this franchise has gone through to get to where it is now. If you know who Bobby Greir was, you're probably not complaing much after a win like yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back