Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why Are Cigarettes legal and other drugs not?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wildo7, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Should We Ban Tobacco? | DrugReporter | AlterNet

how comez mccain people wants 2 banz da weed but luvs de cigarettes? What is hiding you are rite wingiedingies?:singing::singing::singing:
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Stoned people make bad lobbiests.

seriously, thats the reason.
  3. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

HAHA that's very funny. It's a good question really. And what about alcohol, I'm sure being drunk effs you up just as bad, if not worse, than being stoned. Can't say for sure, I've never been stoned. But I'm good friends with two guys who regularly smoke up, usually before we do MMA workouts oddly enough. But it's an interesting line our society has drawn.

And actually, I don't think we have to wait that long. Cigarettes might get banned in my lifetime, because I can't believe how fast smokers and smoking have become demonized and vilified.
  4. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

You're friends with Eddie Bravo and Joe Rogan?:D
  5. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

Two reasons:

1. History
    2. Other drugs are more likely to cause car crashes, etc. than tobacco

Especially the first reason.
  6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

It's about who lobbies the best.

Guns, cigs, booze have strong lobbies.

This country is run by the lobbyists and special interest groups, not American voters.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

Anybody see this one...?

[​IMG]

So happens that the alcohol, tobacco, and firearm lobbyists get together for happy hour in this version... I am SURE I've actually seen them...
  9. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We spent all day fighting and we find common ground...history.

The Hearst connection was shed upon in a recent Family Guy episode, made sense for the times and makes sense today that someone that rich and powerful who had interest against the stuff would be against it...and hemp does make good rope and clothes.

I gotta say...that's probably the dumbest film I've seen. If someone fell for that crap today I don't think they deserve to vote or be in Washington :eek:

That was over a decade ago...nowadays it's the movies Dazed and Confused, PCU, How High, and Half Baked as the parodies for the lobby :cool:
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Ha!

heres to weed uniting us!
  11. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Must be the lobbies.
  12. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:eat2: :cool:
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

If you are ever in the biggity bay....holler, and we'll go get some government grown...and debate politics.
  14. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Great movie.
  15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Booze makes you pay.

You wake up dehydrated, with super sensitive ears, a nasty headache and nausea.

There's a certain righteousness to that, and I'm sure god treats hangover time as time already served in Purgatory when you die. So you're kinda doing your time as you go along instead of all at once.
  16. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Ha. I wish, then I might be able to improve my rubber guard. But the guys that I refer to really have showed me that, just like alcohol, pot seems to be fine in the hands of someone capable and responsible.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Jesus Christ, I agree with Wildo.........:confused:

Drugs are everywhere, you can buy them on every street corner and school yard in America, you can probably even buy them in Church and the stupid people still want them "Illegal".
    AMERICANS LOVE THEIR DRUGS, all drugs should be legal and sold in Wal Mart, put the slimy smelly Drug Dealers with their $500 sneakers and their guns out of business, America should Grow & Manufacture their own Drugs it's big business, it's bigger than McDonalds, why let the Crummy Drug Dealers make all the profit, turn all the "Drug Prisoners Loose" they can go to work cleaning toilets, Two of the worst drugs on the Planet are already legal (tobacco & alcohol) Oh God, the “war on drugs” is a friggin joke, the DEA is a friggin joke, LEGALIZE IT AND CONTROL IT, then tell the Filthy Mexicans and Colombians to shove their sh!t up their mothers stinking a$s.

When drugs are legal the people that will be using drugs are the same people that are using them now.
  18. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Boy do they ever. The funny part is that we as a society find many psychotropic drugs acceptable as long as a doctor or pharmaceutical company rep says its ok, but pot is looked at as a hideous affront to social morays. It's insane. My wife works in a hospital pharmacy, and the pharmacists there said they would flat out refuse to take a lot of the drugs they deal with, because they know what's in them. I understand that some of the anti-psychotic, anti-depressant, and sleep assisting drugs can help people, but they're so overprescribed and people become dependent on them.

To me the odd part isn't that we love drugs; it's more that we pretend some are ok but others are crap. How freakin' weird is that?
  19. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Tobacco was this countries first major cash crop. You can't just throw away the history of what built this nation.

The bigger, and better question is, why are any drugs illegal, and why can we not allow people to decide for themselves what to put in their body.

Of course you can still break the law by driving while intoxicated, and you can still break the law if you harm someone while on drugs, but on private property, in your own home, you should be able to do whatever it is you want.

I read somewhere that Hemp was lobbyied hard to be banned becuase it was a direct competitor to cotton, and the cotton lobbyists won that long ago.
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Good Blog Mcgraw, I book-marked it, take one day at a time away from the "butts" I quit 39 years ago, my generation smoked constantly, ash trays were everywhere, smoking was a way of life, a carton of cigarettes was a standard "Xmas Gift" parents used to tell the kids "you can smoke when your 21" we were friggin nuts.....