PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Are All Of The Elite Teams Struggling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haterproof

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
What the Hell is going on!

Last edited:
They're all struggling because the starters don't really play in preseason, especially the last preseason game, so when they come out for the first game they are rusty and not used to playing for 60 minutes. This week should be a lot better.

Actually they are struggling for several reasons:
1)Parity-There is true parity in the NFL
2)Sports is cyclical- Believe it or not, the Pats used to suck, and they will suck again some day (hopefully not for 10 years or so). Sports is cyclical, there was a time where the 49er's were pretty bad, Then they win 5 SB's in 15 years, and now they suck again (they may be making that turn around). That's how sports is, hell the Yankees went from 1978-1996 without a World Series championship.
3)Free agency-Look at the Colts, losing Edgerrin, a linebacker, and a defensive lineman, all important to their team. Same with the Pats, who no longer have their SB receivers (One FA and one trade) or kicker.

Those are just three reasons, I think 1 and 2 are key reasons.

I think there may be another factor to consider.

To my perception, the 'elite' teams tend more to schemes and overall team execution to achieve their results. No question many of them have some top playmakers, but I'm speaking of the general approach.

Many of the less successful teams seem to feel that the way to glory is to pay big dollars to some 'superstars' (whether they really are or not - but they sure collect superstar money). Of course, they pretty much universally prove that this is wrong.

But in the first game of the season, the scheme and team approach is still getting itself tuned up and is probably not as strong as it will be after a few games. On the other hand, the superstar teams are built more on individual effort which is probably at it's highest starting the season fresh.

So this may be another factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back