Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why America is at a dis-advantage

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BradyForPresident, Mar 21, 2007.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The right and brave thing to do would have been to go into the Royal Palace in Riyahd and arrest the Saudi Royal family within one week. Then drop a nuke on top of a mountain in Afghanistan for CNN to tape. Then we demand OBL, dead or alive, within 72 hours delivered to US forces in the temporary US territory of Arabia or the next bombs will rain on Mecca, one shrine at a time. (At least that's what I wanted to do). Remember how you felt the day after WTC?

Instead he invades Iraq, the military equivalent of beating up an old drunk in an alley and taking his wallet, where we get bogged down in a civil war unable and unwilling to respond to the terrorists, including OBL, in Pakistan.

Bush has shown no courage, and running into a brick wall head first does not demonstrate courage. It shows stupidity and arrogance as well as a total lack of respect for the dead of 9/11/01.

2. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

We are not at war. When's the last time you had to "chip in for the war effort"?

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 22 / -19

When Reagan was president, I had the opportunity to give a little tour of Boston to a member of the Hungarian Supreme Court. As we were walking in the Boston Common, she saw people posing with a cardboard cutout of Ronald Reagan. She said to me, "If I was the President, I would never allow that."

4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Right, the Muslim extremists who drove four planes to the destruction of 3000 people on 9/11 was just a small group, not even a nation. Just because *they* think of themselves as "the Islamic Jihad" -- which ALL Muslims are pressured to join, doesn't make this a war!!

And the bridge even comes with its own cleaning crew!! Half from the Brooklyn side, and half from the Manhattan side!

Anybody for a whiff of coffee?

//

5. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Do you agree with the original post, Fogbuster!?

6. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

WTF are you talking about?

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

You really don't have a clue, and are a complete partisan hack on this. The Secret service has a protocal it follows in all of this. There is no way any president, on that day, was going to be permitted to fly in front of the White House and wave in all challengers. HA! This is really retarded of you.

So then ALL PRESIDENTS AND LEADERS OR ANY INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS GIVEN AN ORDER AND NOT THEMSELVES BEEN PHYSICALLY INVOLVED IN THE FIGHT ARE COWARDS.

Sheesh you are stupid sometimes.

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

I don't disagree in some respects, but I actually think it took politcal courage to oust Saddam Hussein. Many before had talked about doing it, and he took the politcal chance and did.

Wanna know what I'd have done post 9/11? I'd have done the same in Afghanistan, and would have invested whatever it took to develop an alternative to gasoline. I'd have then flashed the middle east the finger and told them to take their oil and drink it. By eliminating the US as a consumer, oil prices would have plummeted, and chaos would have fell upon the regimes in the ME.

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 22 / -19

I think any president but Bush would have gone back to DC far more quickly. It was a disgrace and embarrassment the way Bush went into hiding. I could understand Cheney going into hiding, in case something really did happen, but the President should have shown guts by speaking from the White House. He didn't even go to NYC until several days later. I think he was terrified.

Not sure how you concluded that, from this: "Lashing out the way he did was more like an angry child who does not have the courage to rationally evaluate the events, the information, and the alternative approaches. He was so afraid something would happen, he hit back too soon and has create an international disaster."

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Yup. :rolleyes:

Did you not say this?

It's not especially courageous for the CiC of the most powerful military to sit in DC and order troops to Iraq or Afghanistan. The word courage is reserved for those who risk their lives.

11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 15 / -8

Just responding to the original post here, and to any others who embrace the "democracy is a disadvantage" routine (note correct spelling please):

Democracy does just fine. If Bush is not succeeded by a president who shares your personal delusions, that is also fine.

I love the notion that the American people "obviously" want a leader they won't vote for... that is, no such leader can be found and brought forward, and everybody -- everybody -- wants such a leader.

Ah, yeah. It's gonzo posts like this that just discredit the usual fascists hereabouts. You can urge people to vote for one or another successor strongman, but you can not urge the nation to jettison the democratic process entirely, and not be laughed off the board by right and left alike.

By the way, please don't talk about "fighting for freedom" and then disenfranchising the entirety of the American people for the sake of freedom. What the hell do you mean when you say "freedom"? This stale recitation of "for freedom" really, really needs to be thought through.

In conclusion, please ask your guidance counsellor if you could repeat Civics and American History, as this may be instructive for your future character as a citizen.

Pleased to be of assistance,

PFnV