PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why all the Vinetierri hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh....I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't hate the guy. He was vital to the Patriots' 3 Super Bowl championships and provided some of the most memorable kicks in NFL history....

Vinatieri made a business decision to sign elsewhere. McGinest did the same. I don't begrudge either, they will both always be Patriots, and remembered fondly in New England when their playing days are over...

So simply put, I still love Adam but I'm very disappointed with his decision. But that's from a sentimental standpoint. Frankly, the Patriots haven't missed a beat with Stephen Gostkowski.

What this guy said!

Did he go to a hated rival? Sure. But no matter who he signed with, AV will never have to buy a drink in this town for what he accomplished for the franchise (at least if I happen to be the one buying).

On the other hand - Damon who?

Seriously-you have to be the most UNGRATEFUL fans-the guy was the X factor in your three Lombardi Trophies.

Why all the hate for him? But en yet, why all the love for Drew Bledsoe, despite his erratic/heart-breaking play?

Thanks for taking the heat off of me for the "Mike should shut up" thread.

Hehehe. Actually, some guys do hate on the sports level, and I find that blindingly stupid and hilarious. I think some little boys had their feelings hurt when Adam acted like a man and went for the dough.

I like the guy. I also like to see him miss now. I like to see him miss because I want to believe that we got his best years, and now we have a better kicker. It's that simple. No hatred - just another homer moment.

If Adam lines up to kick the game winner against the Bears last February, I'm rooting for him to nail it though. That's because the Pats are out of it by then. Just another homer moment.

Eh....I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't hate the guy. He was vital to the Patriots' 3 Super Bowl championships and provided some of the most memorable kicks in NFL history.

I don't hate Adam at all, just disappointed he left. I still acknowledge him as a 3-point threat every time he has an attempt though, despite his recent struggles. So I won't throw him under the bus like others are doing.

I dare any of you to find a better kick than the 45-yarder with the wind and snow blowing at his direction to bring the Snow Bowl into overtime. I'm still amazed that he made it...if he had to kick it again I don't think he would make it...

Adam himself admitted on the America's Game program of the 2001 team the same thing.

Last edited:
I don't remember the polling numbers but, AV ranked pretty high when members cast votes concerning back stabbing remarks made by a former Patriot player. Adam was becoming the anti-Brady, there is no I in team. I remember him fondly for his all-time clutch kicks, but also remember his weak and nobody loves me attitude before/after he left. Do you think BB would have let him walk so easily if there wasn't more to the story. He goes to the Colts who are the biggest obstacle to the SuperBowl, are we supposed to feel for him when he botches a game winning kick?

For the record: I loved it when he missed the field goals. Just loved it!!

But no, I don't hate him. As someone pointed out, I hate the uniform that he is wearing. Simple.

I read other comments on how ungrateful he was. But it looks like he had a lot of reasons to feel disgusted with our FO just as the average fan is disgusted with his decision to sign with our 'enemy'. A lot goes behind the scenes - and how the media potrays it - that makes it too cloudy to know the truth.

So, instead of slamming him for whatever message he intended to send to our FO, I refrain from judging him because he upset the fans.

Thanks for the memories Adam. You make them truly precious by your current misses. Hope you continue the streak...:D

Vinatieri = Damon

the comparisons are striking really...

If Damon went to the Tigers, we'd all still still love him.

If Vinetierri went to the Jaguars, we'd all still love him.

But no, they both went to our biggest rival for money. How can't that piss you off?

The thing that really burns is he actually did win a Championship his first year there, unlike Damon, justifying his move in a way. Though I'm sure the upcoming years of Brady to Moss will have him changing his mind.

Last edited:
He is Vinatraitor. I don't respect traitors, no matter what they have done for us in the past.

Yeah he left alot differenlty then Drew did. Can you blame Drew for wanting to start somewhere else? No. Can you blame Vinitraitor for not even coming to the table with us to work on a deal and jumping ship to our biggest rival yes.

As you can see VinnyT is choking on that contract hope it tastes good Adam.

Seriously-you have to be the most UNGRATEFUL fans-the guy was the X factor in your three Lombardi Trophies.

Why all the hate for him? But en yet, why all the love for Drew Bledsoe, despite his erratic/heart-breaking play?

I recognize there's a legitimate fan reaction to dislike a player who does not let the Patriots have a chance to improve their offer and goes off to their biggest rival....

But I still have a problem hating AV given all he did for this franchise.

If I ever meet him in person my initial reaction will be to thank him for what he did for us...

Last edited:
Does anyone else think he will make the HOF? I think all bad blood will go away when he enters as a Patriot.

Sadly for him, The Vinitraitor's ego driven career decision has cost him money. He's clearly on the downslide of his career, mired in the media backwater of Indy. Had he not emulated Benedict Arnold and 'betrayed his side for the money' he'd still be here in a major market area and fondly remembered. Endorsements and media opportunitie$ would abound. He damaged his endorsement value by not retiring from NE. Indy fans now revile him. Read the IndyStar hate threads.

Sadly for him, The Vinitraitor's ego driven career decision has cost him money. He's clearly on the downslide of his career, mired in the media backwater of Indy. Had he not emulated Benedict Arnold and 'betrayed his side for the money' he'd still be here in a major market area and fondly remembered. Endorsements and media opportunitie$ would abound. He damaged his endorsement value by not retiring from NE. Indy fans now revile him. Read the IndyStar hate threads.

I know, it's so funny. They've been rubbing it our faces since they got him and trying to give him the same worship that we did. 1 miss later--GOAT. Hysterical.

I know, it's so funny. They've been rubbing it our faces since they got him and trying to give him the same worship that we did. 1 miss later--GOAT. Hysterical.

It is, isn't it?
But he's on a downward slide. Kickoffs shorter than ever, exacerbating a bad ST situation. Missed a FG in Indy's SB. Missed against the Pats and missed on 2 attempts last night, albeit the 1st try was under extreme duress, but a 'clutch' topmost paid player in the NFL is paid to make that play.

But they do really hate him there now. I hope he opted out of the team plane and flew back commercial last night. :)

Last edited:
Bledsoe gets plenty of it on here. Six years down the line, he's still a divisive figure. I expect Adam will climb the ranks again once he's retired and no longer subject to the rancour attached to the Colts rivalry.

You are partially correct. The pinheads in the Boston media will roll him out and prop him up as the reason we won three superbowls when it suits their agenda.

However, most NE fans have a memory like an elephant. He will NEVER get a royalty deal around here to line his pockets. He will NEVER be in demand amoung the average fan. He just won't be a draw in NE.

The animosity at this point is mutual, and he started it. He could have left town and kept his damn mouth shut, but instead he left town and burnt his bridges.

Wait until he outwears his glamour with the Colts, and there is a backlash in Indy because he is overpaid and just plain old.

Yes sir...

Cost himself a goldmine of endorsements and the love of a fanbase.

And make no mistake, he was the one who started it. Right during the peak of his declining skills, when BB would have kept him around and shown him the same deference that Troy Brown and Bruschi and others get for being one of BB's trusted guys.

Does anyone else think he will make the HOF? I think all bad blood will go away when he enters as a Patriot.

The problem with spitting on the hand that feeds you is that absolutely nobody really will care if he gets in the HOF. Not Indy and not the Pats.

What that means is that he will have no real support as an entrant into the Hall. There are plenty of other players each year with a public outcry to get them into the Hall.

Who is going to have his back? Nobody.

He doesn't get in, IMO.

I heard him called the Johnny Damon of football today, that worked for me. He seemed ungrateful and arrogant after being the highest paid kicker in football. He thought about himself and moved on to kick in a dome so he could add to his legend (sic). I got his legend right here.

Eh....I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't hate the guy. He was vital to the Patriots' 3 Super Bowl championships and provided some of the most memorable kicks in NFL history. I dare any of you to find a better kick than the 45-yarder with the wind and snow blowing at his direction to bring the Snow Bowl into overtime. I'm still amazed that he made it...if he had to kick it again I don't think he would make it. Not many would. I never forget the magnitude of that kick, or the others he's provided as a Patriot. He misses that and you may as well have placed Norwood or Vanderjagt on his back because nobody would know the difference, and none of us would be in the least bit bothered with him leaving.

Vinatieri made a business decision to sign elsewhere. McGinest did the same. I don't begrudge either, they will both always be Patriots, and remembered fondly in New England when their playing days are over. The only thing I can say is that I am mad at Vinatieri as a Patriots fan for choosing to sign with the Colts of all teams. So when he misses a kick in a clutch situation like last night, I take pleasure in that. It's more about seeing the Colts fail than Adam fail. From 1996 to 2006 that was a foreign concept to me, to be happy to see him miss a FG. It was like Johnny Damon going from the Red Sox to the Yankees, only for less money. That irks me.

So simply put, I still love Adam but I'm very disappointed with his decision. But that's from a sentimental standpoint. Frankly, the Patriots haven't missed a beat with Stephen Gostkowski.

I agree 100%

But no, they both went to our biggest rival for money. How can't that piss you off?

It's a game for us, and a living for them. When it comes down to their livings, put your homer crack pipe down long enough to sober up to reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back