PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why all the Tomase hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
First, let me say up front that the Herald's John Tomase is not my brother, cousin, or sister's lover.

I just don't understand why he gets bashed. I enjoy reading him, and think he provides alot of good insight and nuggets.

Yeah, he wrote that Dillon is rounding off his cuts right now in Mini-Camp, but so what? If that's true, it's good to know where Dillon is at right now, isn't it?

He also has a glowing article on Brady, and if you look at Tomase's archives he seems to write the good, bad, and in-between.

He just doesn't seem to have an agenda to me. I like his writing. Seems to have decent access to the team (as decent as one can have with the Patriots).

So I axe you, why you hatin' JT?

P.S. - John, mom wants you to call her.

I think its kindof like hazing the new guy - especially the new guy that only recently has begun covering the Patriots, having previously been a Sox writer.

So you've got a situation where diehard decade-long fans look skeptically at the opinion expressed by a guy who's couldn't have been following the Patriots personally or professionally for all that long.

Things will ease up over time.

I agree...he's a Sox guy doing what the paper wants..in time he may be OK..bt now, he's the new kid on the block that has a bit to prove.

Just because you think that he's a self promoting, fat loser ******* who doesn't know **** about the Patriots or football and you wish he would be fired or just go away, doesn't mean you hate him.

Maybe if John Tomase hadn't done a baseless hatchet job on Manny Ramirez to further his own career, and maybe if his anti-Dillon agenda wasn't so transparent, and maybe if he didn't update his blog only when a negative story is there to be had, I'd trust him. Too late now though.

Pats67 said:
Maybe if John Tomase hadn't done a baseless hatchet job on Manny Ramirez to further his own career, and maybe if his anti-Dillon agenda wasn't so transparent, and maybe if he didn't update his blog only when a negative story is there to be had, I'd trust him. Too late now though.

I don't remember the hatchet job on Manny but his blog does tend to be negative (and needs to be updated more frequently -- hence the definition of blog) though I must say he doesn't bother me when he's on the radio with Felger. He's not quite so negative.

Seriously though, don't Pats fans deserve better than a failed Red Sox hack, who wasn't good enough to cover his own team and was therefore granted the 'B' status level by being demoted to the silly ole' Pats beat.

Sure, he will try to do his job as best he can, but we ALREADY KNOW who this guy is.....

PATSNUTme said:
Just because you think that he's a self promoting, fat loser ******* who doesn't know **** about the Patriots or football and you wish he would be fired or just go away, doesn't mean you hate him.
While I may not be quite as harsh as PATSNUTme, I do happen to think that Tomase is in that stage where he is deliberately writing controversial and confrontational things to make a name for himself (also known as "The Borges Maneuver").

Oh, and I also have to say he sure is a goofy looking fellow... just IMHO...

I hear, and appreciate what everybody is saying.

If you forget that a writer is fat, or ugly, or use to cover baseball, or ripped a player in another sport, or is the new boy on the block and just read his articles, he seems pretty good to me overall.:)

In any event, I'm gettin' the flavor of why there is a lack of love. I guess we can agree to disagree. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bostonian,
I don't think you fully appreciate the reasons why Tomase is not getting love. He and Felger are approaching this camp like mischevious children trying to cause problems in school. Whether it's Dillon and Sullivan's alleged fatness, which has been contradicted by multiple other sources, expectations that Dillon would "freeze-out" the rookie, the barely concealed giddiness with which Tomase declared that the "Deion Branch Watch has begun", Felger's over-the-top trashing of Eugene Wilson, his confrontational needling of Beisel, the flippant sarcasm about the new kickers... These are examples of people who we as fans have no "trust level" with. Trust in a journalist is built up over years of evidence, and Tomase has none and does not seem to feel that a trustworthy relationship with his readers is as important as pal-ing it around with his goofy side-kick Felger. Reiss is an excellent "reporter" of information, and I tend to believe what he writes because he is not self-serving and seems to value the concept of objectivity. The other buffoons have demonstrated no such attachment to the truth and therefore I give their comments no credence. If you actually believe that the fans dissatisfaction with Tomase is groundless, try reading between the lines.

Last edited:
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Seriously though, don't Pats fans deserve better than a failed Red Sox hack, who wasn't good enough to cover his own team and was therefore granted the 'B' status level by being demoted to the silly ole' Pats beat.

Sure, he will try to do his job as best he can, but we ALREADY KNOW who this guy is.....

Are you talking about Tomase.....or Cafardo?

5 Rings for Brady!! said:

This is more of a hatchet job than anything Tomase has ever written. You guys are just being jerks.

PonyExpress said:
Bostonian,
I don't think you fully appreciate the reasons why Tomase is not getting love. He and Felger are approaching this camp like mischevious children trying to cause problems in school. Whether it's Dillon and Sullivan's alleged fatness, which has been contradicted by multiple other sources, expectations that Dillon would "freeze-out" the rookie, the barely concealed giddiness with which Tomase declared that the "Deion Branch Watch has begun", Felger's over-the-top trashing of Eugene Wilson, his confrontational needling of Beisel, the flippant sarcasm about the new kickers... These are examples of people who we as fans have no "trust level" with. Trust in a journalist is built up over years of evidence, and Tomase has none and does not seem to feel that a trustworthy relationship with his readers is as important as pal-ing it around with his goofy side-kick Felger. Reiss is an excellent "reporter" of information, and I tend to believe what he writes because he is not self-serving and seems to value the concept of objectivity. The other buffoons have demonstrated no such attachment to the truth and therefore I give their comments no credence. If you actually believe that the fans dissatisfaction with Tomase is groundless, try reading between the lines.

No, I think FELGER is doing that, and you guys are rather simplistically lumping him in with Felger just because Tomase said something negative about Corey Dillon. Could this just be a place where their points (Tomase's being legit, Felger's being his typical *****-stirring) intersect for a moment?

Nothing like a non-proportional response like these posts to make the rational thinkers among us line up in support of a media guy. Bostonian is right - for the most part, Tomase's columns have included some good nuggets, insight and fair-minded comments - good, bad and ugly. I appreciate his work and the inside details we're getting from him. Not quite Reiss's Pieces, but it's the next-best thing.

Bostonian1962 said:

If you forget that a writer is fat, or ugly, or use to cover baseball, or ripped a player in another sport, or is the new boy on the block and just read his articles, he seems pretty good to me overall.:)

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Bostonian1962 said:

In any event, I'm gettin' the flavor of why there is a lack of love. I guess we can agree to disagree. Thanks.

I think Tomase's done an adequate job. I have no problem with him.

Now, Ron Borges...

Nah, I won't go there. ;)

What was the article Tomase wrote earlier that was spammed to death supposedly by somebody here? It was completely negative and totally off-base. That's where the hate started and it continues with the Dillon piece.

Last edited:
Willie55 said:
What was the article Tomase wrote earlier that was spammed to death supposedly by somebody here? It was completely negative and totally off-base. That's where the hate started and it continues with the Dillon piece.

I don't recall that being a negative piece. It was actually an article trying to name his "Point After" column. People need to stop acting like juveniles - getting personal and vitriolic, even if you disagree with something he has written, is totally ridiculous. It makes YOU the bad guy.

I just read this piece, and thought to myself... that is one of the best written articles on the Pats I've read in a while.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=143805&format=&page=1

I actually knew about this side of Tom, but it was never articulated so clearly or completely, with illuminating quotes from multiple sources: Chad Jackson, Matt Light, Matt Cassell, Lonnie Paxton... all guys who see him regularly and know him.

Felger is on my sh!tlist. I've got no problems so far with fatboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back