PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why all the negativity??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If you think the Eagles supposedly set a blueprint for you guys, don't sweat it...

Back in '91, Dallas was nothing more than a young, inexperienced, and up and coming team going into RFK to play the mighty 10-0 Skins. Supposedly, they had NO chance b/c the Skins just had no weaknesses in all phases.

However, they somehow went from getting pressure on Mark Rypien(something that didn't happen all year) to playing physical with their Posse receivers to !schooling Darrell Green! to the OL pushing around the Skins' DL which opened up holes for Emmitt.

But despite the Skins losing, what happened subsequently? They went on to win their next 4/5 reg season games(with their only loss meaningless as they rested their starters), and then went on to DOMINATE in the playoffs, including the Super Bowl. No-their run game didn't get stuffed, Darrell Green had a big game in the SB, their front 7 pressured Jim Kelly and stuffed Thurman Thomas all game long, and Rypien got the game's MVP.

What's the point? It just seems like as the season progresses with these undefeated teams, the media distractions seem to disrupt their concentrations more than anything.(I remember Bill Walsh eluded to this after the Skins lost that game) So it's no surprise why they ultimately don't go undefeated in the reg season. Look at that '98 Denver team, some .500 Giants team supposedly set the blueprint on how to beat them ending their 13-0 streak, but of course, they went on to repeat as champions.

I can't believe the amount of negativity.

Any winning streak is going to have close games that you don't expect, and blowout games that you don't expect. The fact is it's hard to get up for every game, and we know the opposition is going to treat a game against the Pats as a huge event.

Last night the Eagles threw absolutely everything at the Pats (going for it on 4th down, onside kick, flea-flicker, the attempted WR pass), they caught everything thrown their way, and Feeley made some unbelievable throws; yet the Pats still pulled out a win.

Alsom the theory that "team A did something, so imagine how much better team B will do it" has never been a great argument in my book.

Why the negativity? The Patriots "lost" against the spread by 21-22 points.

Fortunately, they still won the game. :D

Last edited:
Some very naive people lost their bragging rights or their shirts. That's about the only problem with last night's game.

They talk too much, and they bet too much. They think they have it all figured out. They don't. They don't figure on the ups and the downs, or how the ups meet the downs, or the downs meet the ups.

All they figure is that we have a great team. Well, earth to bettors and braggers: Some days your guys aren't exactly having their best game, and the other guys actually aren't as bad as you want to believe.

The negativity is about getting caught with one's pants down and not owning it. I suggest that the braggarts and bettors just own it - you got caught believing in a fairy tale that some humans are actually perfect. They are not perfect. There is no such thing in our current paradigm.

I was unhappy with the way the game was going but I knew the Pats would pull it out in the end. And if they didn't, I would have been fine with that too because the Eagles played a great game.

The losses that bother me are the ones where my team beats itself with turnovers and dumb mistakes. That didn't happen last night and they won the game.

pats are still on their way to being the greatest team ever. the bears lost to the phins....did the league get the blueprint? in 2003 we got blown out by the bills. lost a wash , beat houston in overtime !

in 2004 we got whipped by the steelers, lost to the phins. how did those years turn out?

the Pats are right on schedule. they will only get better. each week they learn...these are the lessons that are very valuable during the reg season. they will adjust. usually teams lose such a game...but the Pats came through. bery impressive. big teams win even when they dont play their best games. and the "D" which didnt have a great game..came up big when it had to. only 7 points in 2nd half.

I was unhappy with the way the game was going but I knew the Pats would pull it out in the end. And if they didn't, I would have been fine with that too because the Eagles played a great game.

The losses that bother me are the ones where my team beats itself with turnovers and dumb mistakes.
That didn't happen last night and they won the game.
I'm the same way. After the Eagles recovered the onsides kick, I said "Wow. Good play. Good for them." My wife looked at me in shock, because normally I get anxious when things don't go good for the Pats. When the Eagles scored to take the 28-24 lead, I said "Good drive. Good for Philly." Again, she was shocked. I shrugged and told her, "What can I say? They're playing great. The Pats aren't giving this game away."

Regards,
Chris

WErd 11-0 !
figure9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back