Not open for further replies.

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Re: Why all the focus on Offense? The Defense needs to Step up.

I said the same thing going into the game; it's the defense that needs to step up. Not a good performance at all last night. Today I'll be going back to some older tapes and seeing what those defenses did to hold teams to 0, 3, 9, or 12 points as they often did in 2003.

Look no further then youth. Bruchi, Rodney, and Vrabel were able to get to the ball carriers a lot faster than they do now.

Sure - the offense needs to play better, and can play better - certainly better than last night's score.

But I seem to recall that we're playing without our starting QB (and starting RB last night) so I'm not expecting the offense to score 31 points a game, and I think its unrealistic that anyone else should.

The bottom line - unless the Defense steps up and holds opposing teams to much more reasonable totals we've really got no reason nor right to expect the offense or ANY backup QB to strap the team on his back and carry the entire team and consistently score 30 points and more.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think the commitment and performance of any squad on this team is anywhere near close to Patriots standards - and I'd have no problem telling most of the players that to their face. But heaping blame on an offense that's this undermanned doesn't make sense to me.

The D really needs to step up before anything positive is going to happen.

(Edit: Special teams, though it has not been perfect, should get a decent amount of credit for giving their all this season)

Last edited:

I said the same thing going into the game; it's the defense that needs to step up. Not a good performance at all last night. Today I'll be going back to some older tapes and seeing what those defenses did to hold teams to 0, 3, 9, or 12 points as they often did in 2003.

I'd have to agree. My expectations for the O were tempered as soon as TB went out but I really thought the D would pick it up. The only bigger disappointment to me has been LM's play, or should I say his inability to.

For this team to win a SB this year, it would have to be on the strength of the defense while the offense does enough to "not lose the game".

Sure - the offense needs to play better, and can play better - certainly better than last night's score.

But I seem to recall that we're playing without our starting QB (and starting RB last night) so I'm not expecting the offense to score 31 points a game, and I think its unrealistic that anyone else should.

The bottom line - unless the Defense steps up and holds opposing teams to much more reasonable totals we've really got no reason nor right to expect the offense or ANY backup QB to strap the team on his back and carry the entire team and consistently score 30 points and more.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think the commitment and performance of any squad on this team is anywhere near close to Patriots standards - and I'd have no problem telling most of the players that to their face. But heaping blame on an offense that's this undermanned doesn't make sense to me.

The D really needs to step up before anything positive is going to happen.

I agree. We gave up 30 points last night and probably could have given up more. All we hear though is how bad Cassel was or how bad McDaniel is. A lot of fans of this team never want to blame the defense for anything. It was like the AFC Championship game a few years back against the Colts, the defense gave up the largest point deficit in playoff history and all people wanted to do was blame Reche Caldwell.

Sorry, I believe we lost the last two losses because the defense collapsed in both games. When Brady went down, we said we had to win like we did in 2001. That is strong defense and offense that didn't make costly mistakes. The problem is that if your defense isn't producing at all, you can't win with an offense that doesn't make costly mistakes.

The second we found out Brady was done for the season, most people agreed that the Pats would live and die based on their defense this season. And guess what? They have. The Pats are undefeated when the defense shows up to play and winless when they haven't.

With Brady at the helm the D could get away with a lot more, and now it can't. Our pass rush among other things has been less than great:halo: before Brady's injury,so I'm not sure "stepping up" is going to be enough,or that they're even capable of a whole lot more than what we've been seeing?

With Brady the D had issues; I'm not sure that without him those issues are going to get remedied by just 'stepping up'.

Today I'll be going back to some older tapes and seeing what those defenses did to hold teams to 0, 3, 9, or 12 points as they often did in 2003.

That'll be interesting pats1,looking forward to your observations :)

Our D has changed a lot since then though,personnel-wise and of those who are still here, age/wear and tear-wise. Could we effectively run those same plays with what we have now?

yeah i agree. some thoughts so far

1. we can still stop the run. our D is built to do that, and we do it. miami's wildcat was a crazy exception

2. what did u think of the chargers throwing on Oneal most plays? do you think they identified a weakness? ONeals not great, but i didnt think he was Earthwind Moreland either. i think we is better than he looked

3. why were all those bombs against man-to-man coverage? where were the safeties? (in stopping the run?) looks like we got outcoached there

4. We have not enough pass rush. ive said it before and gotten crucified in here, but Colvin was a huge factor in his outside speed rush. now vrabel has lost a step, thomas is a bull rush everytime. we just dont get to the QB that much.

I think the D can pull it together somehow someway....it will turn out well. how? its a mystery

I agree with the posters in questioning the defense. They played some pretty lackluster ball last night and the coaching didn't help them out either. As someone pointed out, the first two big passes were against single man coverage with no safety help.

If you're rushing the safeties, the pass rush best be gettin' to the QB. The blitz packages are being picked up and the timing is completely off. Looks like the defensive coaching isn't living up to it's end of the bargin either.

We have no pash rush 0, zero, nada zippo. The coverage by Oneal on the first 2 bombs was pretty good they were exceptional catches. But wow our pass rush is horrid. PLus we did get out coached. Dont need to load up and stop a hobbled LT when they just go up top every play.

The Offense was an abortion out there Mcdaniels needs some new plays. We cant run we cannot protect and we cant catch. Epic failure on all levels last night.

Maybe we shouldnt have gotten rid of Asante, CB is no position to play it cheap on. Maybe we can get some Lito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back