PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why a transaction now??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I know many are thinking of a trade (like WRs Walker or Stallworth or LB Edwards) or a signing of Law, for instance, but why would they do that BEFORE the draft. Would this not tip the hand as to what they would do OR not do?? Have the trade or the signing solidified, but do not announce it till after..keep the other teams guessing. If the other teams have less information, then isn't that better for the Pats?? Just wondering what teh advantage is of annoucing any transactions this week...if any.

Pats726 said:
I know many are thinking of a trade (like WRs Walker or Stallworth or LB Edwards) or a signing of Law, for instance, but why would they do that BEFORE the draft. Would this not tip the hand as to what they would do OR not do?? Have the trade or the signing solidified, but do not announce it till after..keep the other teams guessing. If the other teams have less information, then isn't that better for the Pats?? Just wondering what teh advantage is of annoucing any transactions this week...if any.

I think they dont care about tipping hands. If the chance to make a deal is there now, they do it. Let the NFL react to what the Patriots do, not refrain from doing anything to tip any hand. BB doesn't strike me as someone who cares if the Jets or Fins focus on what the Pats are doing. He's probably very used to that by now.

Pats726 said:
I know many are thinking of a trade (like WRs Walker or Stallworth or LB Edwards) or a signing of Law, for instance, but why would they do that BEFORE the draft.
In terms of a trade the reason would be that everyone loves draft choices right now. As much as I love the draft, picks are way overvalued this time of year. Regarding Law, I don't care if it would tip our hand or not, we would be locked and loaded at CB with Law, Hobbs, Samuel, Gay, Warfield and Scott.

Pats726 said:

Read an article somewhere about this.

Said it's almost impossible to trade during the draft unless something's pre-arranged.

Doing it before prevents stress related goofups.

RayClay said:
Read an article somewhere about this.

Said it's almost impossible to trade during the draft unless something's pre-arranged.

Doing it before prevents stress related goofups.

It was in this weekends tip sheet by Len Pasquerelli

"Unless you've got something arranged ahead of time," said the personnel chief, "it's hard to make trades during the draft. People don't understand that, once the draft starts, a trade offer is like a curveball. You're so focused on the draft, what's going on and how names are coming off the board, that concentrating on a trade that actually involves a body becomes a tough thing to do. So you'd better have some contingencies in place. But, even then, it's dicey. Still, there are some names being dangled."

Transactions completed are reported to the league. Transactions not reported are not complete. A team could of course have a hand shake agreement with a player and wait. I would rather the transaction be complete, so that we know where we stand for the draft.

My recollection is that the Corey Dillon deal was made right around this time 2years ago. This is the point at which the Pats have had as much time as they are going to have to determine value and strategy for the draft AND it's the point at which teams are done waiting - and are wanting to get more picks for Saturday's festivities - for compensation value for player X-Y-Z (Stallworth? Walker?) to settle into its proper place.

Pats726 said:

You're looking at it backwards. By plugging holes before the draft, it gives them more flexibility during the draft, and makes them less predictable.

Of course, I don't think Belichick and company care too much about appearances. If they like a player, why would they not trade for them just because teams may infer that they no longer will draft somebody of that position? Is maintaining this inference worth missing out on a player you want?

dryheat44 said:
You're looking at it backwards. By plugging holes before the draft, it gives them more flexibility during the draft, and makes them less predictable.

Of course, I don't think Belichick and company care too much about appearances. If they like a player, why would they not trade for them just because teams may infer that they no longer will draft somebody of that position? Is maintaining this inference worth missing out on a player you want?
Great post I agree completely.

I also wanted to add that you do a trade before the draft since a team will most likely want a draft pick in return. There are not too many player for player trades anymore, though it does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes