PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why 1976-1978 team was not able to win a Super Bowl ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ItalianPatThePatriot: "PatsFans resident 70s Pats (red uniforms and all) enthusiast."

Last edited:
Not fair to compare QBs INT to TD ratios back then with those of today. You didn't have all the rules that protect the WRs and QBs back then that you do today. Look at HOFer Joe Namath and his 30% or so MORE INTs than TDs. 50/50 TD/INT wasn't bad if you go back far enough. I also agree with Ray that Grogan was no Brady either, but he was good, and he did have some qualities Brady didn't (running, cannon arm, although Tom has built up his arm a lot). The best description for Grogan in his early days was that he thought his arm was so strong that he could throw the ball through the DBs chest on its way to the receiver. Later he learned to lob it over the DB.

Grogan had a strong arm but he didn't have good touch.

Eason had great touch but he was a fairy. I'll quit now.:p

what was the main reasons we were unable to get a win ?

the terrible loss on 1976 with Oak (Ben Dreith...) or some bad decisions during that 3 years period where we had a big opportunity to win it ?

i feel bad for some players (i.e Hannah) that should have earned it...

i have read that in that period probably we had the best team ever...

pity...

As much as liked that club, and thought it got screwed, it just doesn't compare to the Belichick teams. It may have had lots of Offensive stars but the DL was nowhere near as good as any of the BB teams. Ditto for the LBs.

It had stars in the secondary but no where near the depth throughout the roster that are earmarks of the BB teams. BB has taught all of us that injuries are inevitable, and in the last part of the season, you want a team with no holes, playing against teams that are fielding bubble gum and baling wire scrubs trying (and failing) to patch holes where injured stars used to play. :rolleyes:

I think you could argue the 76-78 Pats teams had among some of the best talent in Patriots history - from Hannah to Haynes to Nelson to Clayborn. But, most of that star talent was young then, and they just didn't have the mix of wiley veterans like the 2001-2004 Patriots teams did.
I agree those teams had more bonafide stars, but I still believe the Belichick teams have had not just the wiley veterans, but in general they have better depth.

BB has taught all of us that injuries are inevitable, and in the last part of the season, you want a team with no holes, playing against teams that are fielding bubble gum and baling wire scrubs trying (and failing) to patch holes where injured stars used to play. :rolleyes:

Great line!!!

76-78 Pats , had great talent but was mismanaged very poorly... But without those Pats, I would have never found football..

Best running game ever. 3000+yards in one season. Back then a great running game and defense was suppose to win you Championships. I have no doubt Karma and bad decisions played a part of them not getting one.

People are letting nostalgia cloud their judgment. The 2003-2004 stretch was better (34-4 including playoffs with two superbowl wins can't be topped). That said, Dreith's call probablydid cost us a title - everyone knew that the winner of the Pats-Raiders game was going to win it all.

I agree. The 76 team was great, but lets still keep a little perspective.

The 2003-2004 team was considerably better, and made it over the hump.

Steve Grogan was a very good quarterback before he blew out his knees.

IMO, Grogan became a better QB when he couldn't run as well as he did in his early years.

ItalianPatThePatriot: "PatsFans resident 70s Pats (red uniforms and all) enthusiast."

i would have liked to see more games only for the red uniforms and Pat Patriot

Last edited:
76-78 Pats , had great talent but was mismanaged very poorly... But without those Pats, I would have never found football..

this is a great sentence imho

All this brings to mind that ESPN Classic is a total waste of a channel for airing the 2005 World Poker Challenge ten to twenty times a week, but they can't ever seem to find a tape of the 1976 Pats-Raiders playoff.

the biggest reason that Patriot team didnt get over the hump was that they werent that great defensivly, and defense is what wins championships. They had some talent on defense, but I cant remember a time that team ever won a game when their offense didnt put up at least 20 points.

Much has been said about 1976, but my feeling about that team is the same as the 2001 Oakland Raiders. After the tuck play, the Raiders laid down and died. Championship teams suck it up and find a way. As was said, the Patriots didnt do the little things to put that game away. they blew a 21-10 lead. Cunninghams play. the false start by Francis. And lets not forget the defense allowing Stabler to go right down the field twice in the fourth Quarter. Dreiths call put the ball around the 10, I believe. Goal line stand anyone?
So, yes, the 1976 team was a terrific team, but they were not a Championship team like the Belichick group.
Super Bowl 36: After the Rams tied it up a lesser team would have lost. But they kept it together and found a way to win. A Championship team.
thats what seperates the Patriots of 1976-1978 from 2001-?
the coach. the quarterback. the defense. the mentality.

* that being said, there was one moment in 1978, when the Patriots jumped out to a 23-0 lead on Houston, after a game in which they scored TD's on their first SEVEN possessions in a 55-24 win vs the Jets, that I thought I was looking at the best team of all time. of course, Houston scored the next 26 points and we lost the game.

All this brings to mind that ESPN Classic is a total waste of a channel for airing the 2005 World Poker Challenge ten to twenty times a week, but they can't ever seem to find a tape of the 1976 Pats-Raiders playoff.

here in Italy, so probably in all Europe, Espn Classic i think never showed an NFL game...

My sentiments precisely. NFL Films must have it somewhere. I've only been able to find small clips from that game, but I have heard the radio broadcast. I'd kill for a copy of that game...or any others from '76 for that matter.

ive seen traders lists that have the '76 MNF game vs the Jets.

My sentiments precisely. NFL Films must have it somewhere. I've only been able to find small clips from that game, but I have heard the radio broadcast. I'd kill for a copy of that game...or any others from '76 for that matter.

I have found a few games from 78 on ebay. None from 76 however, probably because VCR's were rare even in 78. I agree with most of the sentiments expressed in this thread, that era hooked me on football and the Pats. My first game was the 76 blowout of the Raiders 48-17. I will say I have watched those 78 games (I have the Raiders, Colts and Cowboys games) and there was definitely something missing in those teams. They had a maddening habit of blowing scoring opportunities, at least in the games that I have. The Cowboys game still frustrates me to watch, the Pats put up over 300 hundred yards of offense in the first half including something like 170 yards rushing but only led 10-3. By the way, does anybody remember what a huge game this was at the time? I remember that the Cowboy's were like a mythical team at the time and the Pats playing them in Dallas seemed like one the biggest sporting events I could remember. In the Colts game, the famous Joe Washington game, Grogan threw critical and very stupid interceptions to blow a couple of scoring drives otherwise this would have been a blowout. I love Grogan as much as anyone and especially admired his courage later in his career but during the 76-78 area he was a problem. On a team as talented as the Pats were they needed a QB who didn’t lose games and that’s what Grogan often did. By the way one of my favorite things from these games is that on the Cowboy tape it has the entire NFL today show on it with Brett Musburger and Irv Cross.

I have found a few games from 78 on ebay. None from 76 however, probably because VCR's were rare even in 78. I agree with most of the sentiments expressed in this thread, that era hooked me on football and the Pats. My first game was the 76 blowout of the Raiders 48-17. I will say I have watched those 78 games (I have the Raiders, Colts and Cowboys games) and there was definitely something missing in those teams. They had a maddening habit of blowing scoring opportunities, at least in the games that I have. The Cowboys game still frustrates me to watch, the Pats put up over 300 hundred yards of offense in the first half including something like 170 yards rushing but only led 10-3. By the way, does anybody remember what a huge game this was at the time? I remember that the Cowboy's were like a mythical team at the time and the Pats playing them in Dallas seemed like one the biggest sporting events I could remember. In the Colts game, the famous Joe Washington game, Grogan threw critical and very stupid interceptions to blow a couple of scoring drives otherwise this would have been a blowout. I love Grogan as much as anyone and especially admired his courage later in his career but during the 76-78 area he was a problem. On a team as talented as the Pats were they needed a QB who didn’t lose games and that’s what Grogan often did. By the way one of my favorite things from these games is that on the Cowboy tape it has the entire NFL today show on it with Brett Musburger and Irv Cross.

It was a very frustrating period to be a Boston sports fan. In the late 70's you had a talented Red Sox team that never had enough pitching so they would break your heart. The Patriots were a maddening team that blew opportunities and didnt have enough defense. And who could forget the Bruins and "too many men on the ice"?

I do remember the buildup to that Dallas game. In fact, I remember the media building it up as the Super Bowl preview, even though Pittsburgh at 11-2, was a game better than the Patriots and had 2 SB wins in the decade behind them. It was a real test. It was strangely similar circumstances when the two teams met in Dallas on Thanksgiving in 1984 and when they met in 1996. losses all three times. But the loss in 1996 was encouraging because the way the defense played. 1978's game was just frustrating.

Larry Johnson did a classic cartoon in 1979 after a late season Patriot loss at the Jets. A Red Sox player meets the Patriots player coming off the plane
"Great Job! Just a Super choke!!! I was scared for a minute you were going to mess things up and win the game but I KNEW you'd come through!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes