PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whose Playing Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care where Gay is on the list, he's a JAG. Let's see how the offseason plays out, guys like Ty Law and Patrick Surtain are candidates to be released, and that's just from one team. Trades, cap cuts and the draft will give us a plethora of options, hopefully Bill and Scott will pick wisely.

Where did you buy your rose-colored glasses? I'd like a pair. I'm afraid

that the superabundance of options that you mention will involve rummaging

in the trash bin and trying to salvage some of the discards from other teams.

Unfortunately for the Pats, this happens to be a year when good free agent

cornerbacks are in short supply. Luckily, it is a good year in the draft for

cornerbacks so the long term prognosis might be good. Trouble is as

mgteich asks who is playing corner this year? The best option is

to make a real effort to re-sign and maybe even over pay Samuel. Failing

this, the Pats have to re-sign and probably over pay both Randall Gay and

Chad Scott. Over the last part of the season, the Pats' defense was not

able to pressure the quarterback enough to cover for their deficiency

at cornerback. Next year could be worse without Samuel.

Failing this, the Pats have to re-sign and probably over pay both Randall Gay and Chad Scott. Over the last part of the season, the Pats' defense was not able to pressure the quarterback enough to cover for their deficiency at cornerback. Next year could be worse without Samuel.

I'll be perfectly honest, I'd probably be more comfortable throwing a highly drafted rookie out there to start than having Gay as my starting corner. BelichickFan is exactly right, he's a JAG at best and we all know it. I'm fine with him at nickelback, but that's it.

I really liked the idea that's been tossed around a bit about bringing back Ty Law. As long as he doesn't still want to be paid like a superstar, if you couple that move with drafting a corner or two high, I think it aids the transition. Most feel that Law is going to move to safety soon anyways, so even once you want to work the young guy in next year, Law would still see plenty of time, especially if Harrison is nearing the end (and Wilson is gone, which I expect). Of course, this hinges on the kind of contract Law would want (this is all assuming he's cut), but count me as on board with that idea.

Last edited:
Where did you buy your rose-colored glasses? I'd like a pair.
Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

But let's say we sign a veteran like Law or Surtain for a year or two - I believe either one is an upgrade over Gay. Then use a #1 pick, whether seventh overall or after a trade down, on one of the CB - it's a good year for first round CB although maybe not quite top ten.

#1 pick + Surtain vs. Samuel + Gay ? There's some risk on how fast the #1 pick would be ready but it's not a clear downgrade at all, not in my mind. Then draft another CB in the 2nd or 3rd round and we have depth and youth.

But let's say we sign a veteran like Law or Surtain for a year or two - I believe either one is an upgrade over Gay. Then use a #1 pick, whether seventh overall or after a trade down, on one of the CB - it's a good year for first round CB although maybe not quite top ten.

#1 pick + Surtain vs. Samuel + Gay ? There's some risk on how fast the #1 pick would be ready but it's not a clear downgrade at all, not in my mind. Then draft another CB in the 2nd or 3rd round and we have depth and youth.

We are 100% on the same page. I think this is the smartest course of action suggested so far. You bring in a veteran presence either way to help the young guy.

Hobbs + Surtain/Law type + One or two high CB draft picks is going to be alright with me, whether Gay is brought back or not (and I have no problem if he is).

You're not wrong. You recognize the that the corner situation is so critical that we would sign a top free agent plus our 1st and a 2nd or 3rd to try to remedy the situation.

Law/Surtain, Hobbs, #1, #2/#3, jag veteran

Sure this could work. But there is a lot to do to make it happen. The first is to find out whether either Law or Surtain have anything left, and whether they want to play here. This is like bring in O-T-I-S.

I would use two 2nds for the corners (with a trade up from the Oakland 3rd), but that is draft judgment that pioli can make.

Hobbs is nowhere near as bad as many make him out to be. It's too bad, because he's one of the more outspoken players and has some good leadership qualities. Fans ought to give him more respect. He shut down Plax in the SB until bad defensive playcalling left him on an island in the critical play of the game. Not his fault.

I agree with this 100%. Hobbs has played well this season and he defintely should not be blamed for the TD. He was put in a lose-lose situation, but then again who ever was covering Moss on the TD before was also put in a bad situation

You're not wrong. You recognize the that the corner situation is so critical that we would sign a top free agent plus our 1st and a 2nd or 3rd to try to remedy the situation.

Law/Surtain, Hobbs, #1, #2/#3, jag veteran

Sure this could work. But there is a lot to do to make it happen. The first is to find out whether either Law or Surtain have anything left, and whether they want to play here. This is like bring in O-T-I-S.

I would use two 2nds for the corners (with a trade up from the Oakland 3rd), but that is draft judgment that pioli can make.
All I'm really saying is that we don't need to feel like we have to overpay to keep our guys. Between veteran options who would come cheaper (not saying cheap but not premium price) and the slew of interesting CB in this year's draft, we will have a bunch of options. Like last year with WR they can take their shot at the various options and use the draft if little to nothing has panned out by then. We need to bring some youth in, though; even Hobbs is only signed for two more years.

I absolutely agree that we will not break the bank to sign Samuel or Gay.

All I'm really saying is that we don't need to feel like we have to overpay to keep our guys. Between veteran options who would come cheaper (not saying cheap but not premium price) and the slew of interesting CB in this year's draft, we will have a bunch of options. Like last year with WR they can take their shot at the various options and use the draft if little to nothing has panned out by then. We need to bring some youth in, though; even Hobbs is only signed for two more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back