PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whose Playing Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. It will quite likely that the defensive backfield of the jets will be stronger than ours.

Well the question should be who is not playing corner

Assante Samual , who will be the Jets starting CB next yr..

Indeed. It will quite likely that the defensive backfield of the jets will be stronger than ours.

Its not something I want, but you might as well right the thread a month in advance Assante Samual will be a NYJ

Yes, the real question is whether Gay follows him. As was pointed out, the jets showed interest last year when Gay was a RFA.

Its not something I want, but you might as well right the thread a month in advance Assante Samual will be a NYJ

Does anyone have Chris 'Dancing Bear' Canty's phone number. :eek:

Gay is a playable but below average CB. We don't need to pick up 3 top CB. Or two. We have one average to slightly above average CB. If we get two more then we'll have three above average CB instead of one excellent one, one above average one and one below average one. My guess is Belichick would make that trade because teams can throw away from an excellent CB and to the below average one. I don't have names to give you but I bet Belichick would be OK with "trading" Samuel and Gay for two guys about like Hobbs to have more consistency of ability across the field.

How about this mixed message:

Samuel wants to stay
By Pat Bigold
Globe Correspondent / February 8, 2008
HONOLULU - Asante Samuel said "it's gonna take a lot" to keep him a Patriot.
But the 27-year-old unrestricted free agent cornerback, who has spent his five-year career in New England, added that on a scale of 1 to 10, he'd probably rate his chances of coming back a 10.
"The fans love me and I love them back," he said. "The organization loves me and, hopefully, we can work it out."
Samuel had six interceptions during the regular season and has 22 in his career. He's returned three for touchdowns.
"It's gonna take a lot to make me happy and my family happy," said the first-time Pro Bowler after an AFC practice session at Kapolei High Wednesday. Samuel is one of six Patriots who will play in the all-star game Sunday at Aloha Stadium.
Asked how much he thinks he's worth, Samuel threw the question back at his interviewer: "You take a guess and see if you can hit it. It's no secret I'm looking for a big, huge, blockbuster deal."
Samuel's agent, Alonzo Shavers, is also in Hawaii and said he won't begin talking with the Patriots until after the Pro Bowl.
Samuel, who made $7.79 million this season after being designated the team's franchise player and sitting out most of training camp, was the last Patriot to arrive in Hawaii. He flew in late Tuesday.
"I was just relaxing in Phoenix and getting squared away," he said.
Samuel had a chance to stop the Giants' winning drive in Sunday's Super Bowl when he got his hands on an errant pass by Eli Manning with 1:15 left.
The missed opportunity haunts him.
"I could have made the play and ended the game," he said. "I didn't see the replay yet, but I know it hit my fingertips. But the kind of player I want myself to be, I believe I should have had it."
If he had it to do over, "I think I would have jumped a little higher so it would have gone in the palm of my hand rather than my fingertips," Samuel said. "I probably misjudged it a little bit."
Asked if the Patriots' game plan was flawed in their 17-14 loss, Samuel was adamant.
"No, we basically just broke down and didn't make plays," he said. "I'm never gonna criticize my coaches about things you guys may have thought they did wrong. I thought it was a perfect game plan but we just didn't make the plays."

Samuel wants to stay
By Pat Bigold
But the 27-year-old unrestricted free agent cornerback, who has spent his five-year career in New England, added that on a scale of 1 to 10, he'd probably rate his chances of coming back a 10.
"The fans love me and I love them back," he said. "The organization loves me and, hopefully, we can work it out."
Samuel had six interceptions during the regular season and has 22 in his career. He's returned three for touchdowns.
"It's gonna take a lot to make me happy and my family happy," said the first-time Pro Bowler after an AFC practice session at Kapolei High Wednesday. Samuel is one of six Patriots who will play in the all-star game Sunday at Aloha Stadium.
Asked how much he thinks he's worth, Samuel threw the question back at his interviewer: "You take a guess and see if you can hit it. It's no secret I'm looking for a big, huge, blockbuster deal."

it'll take alot to make him, and his family happy???????????????????????
he's looking for a huge, blockbuster deal?????????????????????????????
im learning to hate him more, and more everyday. someone (mangini) spiked his glass of koolaid. :bricks:

Samuel wants to stay
By Pat Bigold
Samuel's agent, Alonzo Shavers, is also in Hawaii and said he won't begin talking with the Patriots until after the Pro Bowl.
Samuel, who made $7.79 million this season after being designated the team's franchise player and sitting out most of training camp, was the last Patriot to arrive in Hawaii. He flew in late Tuesday.
Samuel had a chance to stop the Giants' winning drive in Sunday's Super Bowl when he got his hands on an errant pass by Eli Manning with 1:15 left.
"I could have made the play and ended the game," he said. "I didn't see the replay yet, but I know it hit my fingertips. But the kind of player I want myself to be, I believe I should have had it."
If he had it to do over, "I think I would have jumped a little higher so it would have gone in the palm of my hand rather than my fingertips," Samuel said. "I probably misjudged it a little bit."
Asked if the Patriots' game plan was flawed in their 17-14 loss, Samuel was adamant.
"No, we basically just broke down and didn't make plays," he said. "I'm never gonna criticize my coaches about things you guys may have thought they did wrong. I thought it was a perfect game plan but we just didn't make the plays."

I read between the lines its says, Im going to enjoy trying to intercept Brady when he is with the jets

Samuel wants to stay
By Pat Bigold

Asante was a lot more likeable when he was quiet and led by example on the field. Apparently he completed his studies at the Deion Branch school of disingenuous self expression and was awarded his BS...

The only glimmer of hope I had that he would remain was if the look on his face over the last several weeks was an indication that he was coming to grips with the reality that he is who he thinks he is only because he's well suited to this system. I guess it was just indigestion.

Somebody loves me some me. He expects Belioli to show him the money. He acknowleges that special players make special plays on special days, that he didn't apparently is what it is. Whatever...

We have lots of players on this team who entered the league with a chip on their shoulder who are driven to prove the naysayers were wrong about them. The ones we acquire or retain want to do that by striving to win championships, even if it means settling for a little less ca-ching to allow a team to be built to acquire the bling. The one's we do not acquire or retain want to do that by landing a big, huge, blockbuster deal so they can feed their family. They don't really care if in doing so it weakens their other family in the locker room.

AD showed himself to be worth a $20M signing bonus and a $7M AAV on Sunday even in defeat. Asante's performance wasn't even close. More than any his missed opportunity will haunt those fans he loves who loved him back...for EVER.

See ya at the Meadowlands, 'Sante. Where you will find out how fleeting fan love can be for a corner on a team without a functional QB. Just ask Ty Law.

I think Samuel legitimately wants to stay, someone who left, maybe Branch, said that Samuel really like it with the Patriots. Despite that, though, I would be shocked if we pay him enough to keep him.

Why be stunned if our first pick isn't a corner? Belichick usually sees DB value in the 2nd-4th rounds. As someone else posted, I would look for our second and Oakland's third to be used on corners. Also, we could our third and fourth to move up in the second with either or both of these choices.

You're right that he's been able to find value in the middle rounds, after all Hobbs was a 3rd rounder and Samuel was a 4th, but when both of those guys were drafted they were coming into a more stable situation. The fact is, if Asante does leave, which most of us expect, then whoever replaces him is going to be playing a lot of snaps right away. As others have pointed out, the only two CBs on Asante's level likely to be available are Trufant and Asomugha, and they really aren't likely to cost any less than AS himself is.

I think when the team has a need this glaring, and no other pressing needs (you can argue about LB all you want, but I think they'll be fine with the group they have and some vet signings for at least one more year) than that argues strongly for using your top spot on that position. People doubted BB would ever spend a first rounder on a RB until he did so, and considering he went safety last year, it wouldn't shock me at all if he likes one of those corners. The fact that he can probably trade down in the 1st and still grab one of the top 2 or 3 CBs is another strong reason to go in that direction.

Maybe I'll just be naive and hopeful, but at Asante's age, and being possibly the top corner in the game ((let's forget about the possible super bowl pick, but hes at least top 3 in the league), the Pats might open up their checkbook and offer him something slightly below MV, and spread it over a longer time period. They didn't pay Branch b/c they knew he wasn't worth that kind of money, but if any corner is worth a big paycheck, its probably Asante. If he wants every single penny, then he's gone. But if he's willing to take a slight discount (as every Pat does), I think they'll pay him and he stays.

Gay is one of top CB's on the FA list. From where do you expect to get two players of the quality of Hobbs to replace Samuel and Gay? And understand that all three need to contribute this year.

Gay is a playable but below average CB. We don't need to pick up 3 top CB. Or two. We have one average to slightly above average CB. If we get two more then we'll have three above average CB instead of one excellent one, one above average one and one below average one. My guess is Belichick would make that trade because teams can throw away from an excellent CB and to the below average one. I don't have names to give you but I bet Belichick would be OK with "trading" Samuel and Gay for two guys about like Hobbs to have more consistency of ability across the field.

I don't see any reason at all that we look to shore up our OL. Not at all. A healthy Brady and an OL that doesn't have their heads up their arses can absolutely block the Giants. It wasn't for lack of ability. Our OL was missing their assignments. I saw Strahan turn the corner on Kaczur a few times, and I saw Hochstein getting overpowered. So on the right side I am worried about ability. But Koppen, Light and Mankins missed assignments. Mentally, they were out of it. Not to mention Light's penalties.

We have to bring linebackers and defensive backs into this team. Simple as that.

Just keep drafting them one right after the other.

If you can find a Deion Branch type in the 3rd round, then sure you draft him.

Otherwise, just make sure you focus on the back 8 on defense.

The only other thing I would consider is a trade for Chad Johnson.

This year more than any other year the Patriots have pretty focused needs.

Gay is one of top CB's on the FA list. From where do you expect to get two players of the quality of Hobbs to replace Samuel and Gay? And understand that all three need to contribute this year.
I don't care where Gay is on the list, he's a JAG. Let's see how the offseason plays out, guys like Ty Law and Patrick Surtain are candidates to be released, and that's just from one team. Trades, cap cuts and the draft will give us a plethora of options, hopefully Bill and Scott will pick wisely.

I don't see any reason at all that we look to shore up our OL. Not at all...

I saw Strahan turn the corner on Kaczur a few times, and I saw Hochstein getting overpowered.

Hochstein is not a quality starter. Neal is. But if he can't get 100% healthy, we absolutely must find a replacement to START there.

If going 4 wides or even 5 wides remains part of the plan, there can be no weak link.

He outplayed Asante on Sunday. Covering the #1 WR and playing with a sports hernia. He had the only pick of the game

Hobbs is better than people give him credit. He's a decent #2 corner provided the team plays primarily zone.

However, it is hard to give him credit when he gets beat badly but comes up with an INT due to poor execution. He was beaten by a good two steps but the QB throws low, it bounces off the WR's hands, and he picks it. If Manning makes a little better throw or Smith catches the ball as he should have, it is an easy first down and he may take it the remaining 9 yds for a TD.

I'm tired of people sticking up for Hobbs. He SUCKS. I can't even count how many times he just fell down this year when trying to cover receivers. He's built to be a nickel corner. He can't cover good receivers. We need CB Help this offseason, badly.

We are not going to pay the price for a guard who can stop Strahan. It's that simple. Our OL did fine protecting Brady to a 18-0 record. We have Hochstein and Yates behind Neal. We will bring in the required two wasted 5th and later picks to compete with our OL, and then be cut. The jets need the help.

I DO THINK that we are always on the lookout for a TOP OT. We could very well draft Long or Clady.

Hochstein is not a quality starter. Neal is. But if he can't get 100% healthy, we absolutely must find a replacement to START there.

If going 4 wides or even 5 wides remains part of the plan, there can be no weak link.

I'm tired of people sticking up for Hobbs. He SUCKS. I can't even count how many times he just fell down this year when trying to cover receivers. He's built to be a nickel corner. He can't cover good receivers. We need CB Help this offseason, badly.

Needing CB help and Hobbs being a decent player are not mutually exclusive. No one is contesting that we need to improve that position, but whether you like it or not Ellis Hobbs is likely going to be one of our top two corners next year. He's still young and improving, and I doubt that we're going to bring in TWO corners who are better than him. Get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back