PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's your favorite Patriot cut/released/purposely not resigned by BB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like all the names mentioned, but here's a shout for Greg Spires. I was disappointed with his release because I believed at the time he was our best defensive lineman. I feel bad because he was a good player here and the year after he left, we won the SB. He's doing fine in Tampa though, and we drafted a decent DE during the offseason which he was cut. I guess Spires and a 3-4 don't mix.

If the pats were running a 3-4 in 2000/01, I feel that Spires could have possibly made the transition to 3-4 OLB. As it was, he was simply too small for our version of the 4-3 then. Willie Mac, Bobby Hamilton, Anthony Pleasant and Mike Vrabel were more our type.

... but the guy I was sorriest to see go at the time was Chad Eaton.

Washington State alum Chad Eaton signed a FA contract with his hometown Seattle Seahawks after the 2000 season. The pats definitely wanted him back.

I can't believe no one has mentioned BEN COATES. Wasn't he cut back in 2000? Best TE in Pats history and will be my favorite TE of all time. The dude was always open, required at least 2-3 guys to take him down and caught EVERYTHING.

http://www.footballdb.com/players/coatebe01

Coates had a forgetable final year in '99. Didn't he also get into trouble then for drag-racing with Rod Rutledge, very late one night after spending time at The Foxy Lady in Providence?

O-t-i-s Smith.

Otis was pretty much at the end, but I would like to have had him re-signed for one more season as backup FS. He then could have retired with one more ring.

can I get a shout out for the undertaker?

Vincent Brown

(ole 55 is my personal choice though, and I sure as hell was sad to lose Plunkett and Curtis Martin in terms of all former Patriots players)

http://www.footballdb.com/players/brownvi01

Why did Vincent retire so soon? After all, he started the pats' last 48 games. He had career highs in INTs and sacks (tie). One more year, and he would have played in the SB.

I'll go with Wiggie from Eastie. Absolutely instrumental in the 2001-02 playoffs, and made the final catch setting up the kick that won our first Super Bowl win. 3rd in receptions by a tight end over the past three seasons behind Gates and Gonzalez, the guy is a true New Englander in more ways than one.

Amen, PL. Wiggie should have been playing for us in SB38, instead of the Panthers.

I don't know if I'd put Andruzzi down there. According to my, uh, sources, Andruzzi was already planning on leaving as early as August 2004.

Why was he planning that?

Mark Edwards. Antowain Smith. There have been a lot of them, come to think of it. Jermain Wiggins. Grey Reugamer. Daniel Graham. Bobby Hamilton. Dedrick Ward. Tim Dwight. The roster has turned over so many times...

Good names. Ruegamer just re-signed with the Giants; good for him. I don't know why he wasn't re-signed here after 2002; he should have won 2 more rings. Dwight definitely should have been re-signed. That one made no sense.

5) Marc Edwards- decent blocker, decent runner, decent patch catcher. Gritty
4) Ted Washington- We won without him, but he provided great value as a middle of the D
3) Does Ted Johnson count?- Gotta love Teddy vs the run
2) Willie Mac- Enough has been said
1) Ty Law- Idiot? yes. Worth every dime? Yes.

Milloy was a favorite until he copped an attitude when Rodney showed up, did zippo in 2002 and wouldn't budge over 600k

Adam didnt want to be here. Sayonara

# 55 Willie Mc Ginest

Don't hate on Floyd!

camp73.jpg

law, milloy and branch (not technically)

5) Marc Edwards- decent blocker, decent runner, decent patch catcher. Gritty
4) Ted Washington- We won without him, but he provided great value as a middle of the D
3) Does Ted Johnson count?- Gotta love Teddy vs the run
2) Willie Mac- Enough has been said
1) Ty Law- Idiot? yes. Worth every dime? Yes.

Milloy was a favorite until he copped an attitude when Rodney showed up, did zippo in 2002 and wouldn't budge over 600k

Adam didnt want to be here. Sayonara

Um...I don't remember Milloy having attitude regarding Rodney being signed. Lawyer was always a class act throughout his career in New England. Business is business, as they say, and he didn't want to take a paycut, which is reasonable. If your boss asks you to take a paycut and you're only doing your best and giving 110% every day, is that fair? I still love Lawyer Milloy and he will always be my favorite player. He was a great leader, defensive captain, teammate, dedicated to winning; always the first one at practice and last one to leave. Can't ask anything else from a guy. I still sometimes wonder if things were different, how was BB planning on using both Milloy and Harrison in the same backfield. I remember rumors of going with 3 safety formation back then, but I guess we'll never know. Anyway, Lawyer Milloy is my #1, with Ty Law and Willie Mac close seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes