PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's your favorite Patriot cut/released/purposely not resigned by BB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGameguy

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I'll start with Chris Slade. Not only was he a good pass rusher, but he had those funny Reebok commercials. Lawyer's a close second.

Willie Mac

O-t-i-s Smith.

Probably Ty Law. He did and said some dumb things, but man could he play.

Joe Andruzzi. I think he started all 38 games in the back to back Super Bowls. His brother's are heroes, too.

1.) Bruce Armstrong (It was time for him to retire, but a near Hall of Fame type of talent. I guess technically he wasn't cut, released, or not resigned but he was clearly pushed out the door to retire)
2.) McGinest
3.) Milloy (I know he tarnished his image after he left the team, but he was one of my favorite all time players for this team)
4.) Law (Ditto)
5.) Bledsoe (I was always a Bledsoe fan, but very glad we chose Brady over him. Alway though many fans gave him far too much crap)
6.) Branch (see Milloy)
7.) Bobby Hamilton (the guy was probably the most underrated player in the Pats' Super Bowl run)
8.) Andruzzi (the guy wasn't all that talented, but a classic overachiever)
9.) Givens

Joe Andruzzi. I think he started all 38 games in the back to back Super Bowls. His brother's are heroes, too.

Something we actually agree on.

BTW, Andruzzi started all 19 games in each of the 3 SB years.

I like all the names mentioned, but here's a shout for Greg Spires. I was disappointed with his release because I believed at the time he was our best defensive lineman. I feel bad because he was a good player here and the year after he left, we won the SB. He's doing fine in Tampa though, and we drafted a decent DE during the offseason which he was cut. I guess Spires and a 3-4 don't mix.

Lawyer Milloy, I loved his fire and passion.

Ty Law (not close for me)

I'd have to go with Ty Law

6.) Branch (see Milloy)
Actually, Branch was neither cut, released or purposely not re-signed by BB. He was still signed and under contract, but refused to play.

I'll go with Greg Spires, but the guy I was sorriest to see go at the time was Chad Eaton.

Law and McGinest for their repeated clutch play during Super Bowl runs.

Vinateri should be on the list, but the manner of his departure seems annoying. More so than Law's, whose big obnoxiousness was well before he left. He pulled himself together, behaved well and, incidentally, "paid" a lot of cash for his errors.

Last edited:
Law and McGinest for their repeated clutch play during Super Bowl runs.

Vinateri should be on the list, but the manner of his departure seems annoying. More so than Law's, whose big obnoxiousness was well before he left. He pulled himself together, behaved well and, incidentally, "paid" a lot of cash for his errors.

I forgot Vinatieri. He would be in my top 5.

Actually, Branch was neither cut, released or purposely not re-signed by BB. He was still signed and under contract, but refused to play.

I'll go with Greg Spires, but the guy I was sorriest to see go at the time was Chad Eaton.

Well, I kinda lumped him in because he was traded and it is kinda like releasing him except you get compensation in return.

I forgot Vinatieri. He would be in my top 5.

I need a little more time before I can start liking Vinatieri again. I think my opinion of him will come down to which team he reitres for. If he doesn't retire with us I'll be pissed.

Last edited:
Lawyer Milloy, no question (at least to me). I loved the way he was always a leader in practice and on the field. He was always the first one to show up at practice and the last one to leave. Set a great example to all the young guys in the locker room and was a great teammate. Can't ask for much more. To this day I still wonder the WHAT IF thing with him and Rodney in the same backfield and how BB was planning to use them. Wouldn't that have been some combo? Milloy is my all time favorite player.

I can't believe no one has mentioned BEN COATES. Wasn't he cut back in 2000? Best TE in Pats history and will be my favorite TE of all time. The dude was always open, required at least 2-3 guys to take him down and caught EVERYTHING.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing