Welcome to PatsFans.com

who's watching Thrones?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Titus Pullo, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

great series... great books. Season II finale was tonight.

fictional story, ... but lots of political intrigue, as well as themes of slavery and class division.

An occasional demon thrown in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. Patradomous

Patradomous In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +341 / 60 / -86

#87 Jersey

Outstanding series. Most entertaining thing on TV.
    Would love to have Khaleesi as my love slave.

[​IMG]

3. Amazon4

Amazon4 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

did not read the books... totally enjoying the series!! Can't believe season two is over all ready :mad:

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

Terrific series. I wonder what happens to the Imp. He's one of my favorite charactors.

I personally prefer Jeyne Westerling. Otherwise known as Oona Chaplin in real life.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  5. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

she fine...

i still prefer Queen Cersei ...

6. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

The good news is that they have said they will break book three into two seasons. This way they do not have to bastardize the story like they did for the first two books (although they did a great job of following the story).

Also, they need to slow it down because they need to let him finish writing the last book.

7. Hamar

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

The Imp is the best character in the series, period :) Arya Stark is a close second and then John Snow and Bran. Samwell is great as well.

If you are just watching the show then you are missing out on half of the story. The books are probably the best written fantasy series ever.

Robert Jordan's books are really the only series that can compare, and even then it is a totally different beast. Apples and oranges and such.

P.S. love Lord of the Rings, but it is a little simplistic compared to Martin and Jordan.

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

I plan on reading the books this summer. I want to take my time with it because I don't want to read past the point where the show currently sits. I find the show to be terrific, and I want season 3 to be new to me when I watch it. With LOTR I read all the books and saw all the movies. I'm looking forward to the Hobbit flick that's due out soon.

9. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

That a boy. I hate to be that guy, but I tell EVERYONE to read the books. I started reading Martin before 2000, and the wait between his book releases is EXCRUCIATING. Of course, TV and books are different mediums, but the experience is so much more complex and rich with the books. You're missing a lot. For any of you that don't know, the books are written from the perspectives of different characters. In this first book, for example, there are chapters from the perspectives of characters like Eddard (one of my favorite characters ever), Dany, Tyrion (another of my faves), and Jon. You miss so much of the background and important stuff that makes Westeros so much more real.

Anyway, I do like the show, but everyone who likes the show should read the books. The end of the last current book, Dance with Dragons, is a real humdinger (sorry to use a Grampa term).

10. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yeah, Storm of Swords is two season, which I assume means A Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons will be as well. That's six more seasons right there hahaha.

I love Martin, but I'm so anxious to know the back story of so many things in this series. Does R+L=J mean anything to you? (PS, if you're following the show and don't want a potential spoiler, IGNORE THAT EQUATION!)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  11. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

While HBO has said they will keep producing the show as long as Martin writes the source material, financial ramifications may present other ideas. If we learned anything with "Rome" and "Deadwood," the sets and CGI are enormously expensive. And anyone who's read the books knows that it all goes to a whole 'nother level in Book 3. Losing Rome after just two seasons was an enormous disappointment.

I've seen several sources speculate that they'll do two more Thrones seasons (splitting book 3) and end it. There are reasonable end points there, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Hobbit will be split into two and the first part is set for the holidays.

Even if they cover that far, I doubt they'll split those seasons. Books 4 and 5 run concurrently, and they are (especially 4) underwhelming compared to the first three. Just my opinion.

I don't think there's much doubt any longer that R+L=J. Martin was asked about it in a talk show last year, and he sheepishly declined to answer. Makes perfect sense, and makes Eddard's silence all the more honorable.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  12. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

That's true Titus, I forgot that ADWD and AFFC run overlapping to each other (probably because they came out half a decade apart).

13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +246 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

See? There is enough room here for the occasional unpolitical thread. :)

14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 26 / -33

My son bought me the book for my birthday, and immediately knew that I could not process all the unfamiliar names... kind of like a Russian Novel.

Last night watched the first episode on HBO, and could not follow it or even begin to understand what is going on.. it really lost me when one of the characters told his sister, that he would allow his sister to be f...ed by 40,000 of another dude's army to get what he wanted... I turned it off.

15. Hamar

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

And their horses... :)

16. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

the themes are hardcore... slavery, incest, summary execution... it's not for everyone. ... and yes, the refugee prince doesn't care much about his sister, and thinks only of his right to the crown.

to begin to understand, it's best to look at it as a make-believe adaptation of the War of the Roses, with two wealthy 15-century English families at odds with each other. Lannister (Lancaster) vs. Stark (York).... But, add some vaguely alluded magic and demons.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  17. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +813 / 26 / -33

I wound up watching the whole series, it is entertaining, but still do not get all the characters..

19. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

There's a lot of them... What are you confused about?

20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +813 / 26 / -33

It is not important, just long time difficulty with any novel or media event that uses names other than Joe, Mary or Bill... I used to slog through Solzhenitsyn and Dostoevsky and had to write the names down. Some people learn differently than others..

My son is a Thrones "Aficionado", and for Christmas got him the HBO Thrones Boxed Set complete with the story board, he tries to explain it to me, but it does not register. The series is entertaining, that is all that is important.