PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's up, who's down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsRI said:
I didn't see much of Sullivan was he out there?
he was out there... cant say i saw any good/bad plays though.

Supposedly Sully led the team in tackles...

Zuma said:
I think both Cobbs and Evans showed something.

ATT YDS
P. Cobbs 11 44
H. Evans 12 34

Cobbs fumbled, again. He's a practice squad player at best, but I think we knew that last week when Evans, not Cobbs was subbing in the second quarter.

I've said this on another thread, but I don't think jobs were won and lost tonight. Remember, two weeks ago Belichick said that 40 of 53 roster spots were already set.

1. Backups and hopefuls against backups and hopefuls (for the most part)
2. No NFL films videotape of the game available to the coaches before cutdown deadline on Saturday

i think childress won a job (unless everyone thinks he had it already).
i think hill lost one tonight.

Last edited:
I'd give Cassell an up, or at least a 'hot'... I didn't see the last two preseason games but it looks more and more like some of the extreme enthusiasm heaped on him on here was justified.

Cobbs or Evans. Evans for me, couldn'f ail to contrast him snaffling a tricky low pass with Cobbs dropping a similar ball.

Great to See Rodney snarling.

Kight, Cobbs and Warfield all played themselves off the team

Childress solidified his spot, although with the depth, I thought he had made the team already.

I don't know if I should take Andrews not taking a single return as good or bad.

The only question left for Gostkowski is whether he will fold under a high pressure situation, because he passed every test in the preseason with flying colors.

Cassel looked pretty good. He just keeps getting better.

The first team Oline did a great job of pass protection again. Run blocking could have been a little better.

Geno wasn't in perfect position on the long TD run, but he was just one of many to blow that play.

Gay didn't have a great game, but he wasn't anywhere near bad enough to not make the team.

Hill looked like he always does: looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Wright is really playing well right now.

I honestly won't take much from this game because the coverage was always loose, even on 3rd and 3, and it seemed as if the team game planned to play poorly as a unit. It was as if they wanted guys to end up in lots of 1:1 situations. We like to believe that the team is full of all pros, but what drives this team is guys playing as a unit, and it was pretty clear that they weren't today.

Up
Artrell Hawkins: decisive, tough, smart
J. Sullivan: very active and energetic compared with the other 2nd line stiffs
Bam Childress: our #2 receiver with Troy Brown, if Branch isn't back.
Cassell: Could probably start on half the teams in the NFL. Frankly, looks more poised, less mechanical than Eli Manning (plus has better arm and leadership skills).
M. Light: good lead block on the early TD run
H. Evans: a bulldozer who could replace Dillon if Cory gets injured.
E. Alexander: has good range and instincts
Mincey: tough attitude, never quits even when the D-line gave up.

OK
Beisel: a good guy trying hard, just not big enough.
S. Thomas: gave effort
Spann: had some hard hits, sacrificed his body.
R. Harrison: would have punished Shockey catching the pass over the middle, or broken it up in years past. This time, a drag down tackle. I see the attitude back, but the performance isn't there-YET.

Down
O Callaghan; got owned early by the Giants D-line
P. Cobbs: awful
Hill: give him a pass since it was his first game back, but looked sluggish and disinterested, worse than last year.
Kight: going through the motions, confused
Seau: running around, not filling holes. Like his energy, but needs to make tackles.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
Up

H. Evans: a bulldozer who could replace Dillon if Cory gets injured.

Down
P. Cobbs: awful

Am I missing something?????

Yeah that 2.7 ypc really outshone the 4.2 ypc.

Evans has 6 years in the NFL. He won't be getting any better than the sub-JAG he is.

Cobbs has outshone him in the PS and can only improve with experience.

shmessy said:

There's always more to it than naked statistics. Or, if there isn't, then maybe the zero dropped passes and zero fumbles outshone the one dropped pass and one fumble.

shmessy said:

Evans has 6 years in the NFL. He won't be getting any better than the sub-JAG he is.

Cobbs has outshone him in the PS and can only improve with experience.
Did you watch the game? If you did you would have seen Evans running decisively and with power, and Cobbs doing jitterbugs in the backfield.

UP:Chidress, obviously, only consistent receiver on the team besides the emergency QB.
Evans -showed more than usual. wins the Evans/Cobbs battle
Rt side of the O-line-got some good push in the 2nd 1/2
Gost- 54 yds!
Woods- making plays sideline to sideline
Mincey- making plays at LOS
Down:
Cobbs- maybe playing to not get picked up, make the PS---
Hill--classic- 3 DB's make the tackle at his feet while he stands around and watches.
Kight- 4 screw-ups, one catch
Biesel-- tackles like he spent some time steer wrestling back in Kansas
Warfield, Gay, and Spann--whiff,whiff,and whiff--WWHD? Is he still available?

PonyExpress said:
Up
Cassell: Could probably start on half the teams in the NFL. Frankly, looks more poised, less mechanical than Eli Manning (plus has better arm and leadership skills).

Heck, I'd almost rather have Cassel than Peyton. . . . At least Cassel doesn't have a known history of egg-laying in the playoffs. ;)

But you forgot STEPHEN GOSTKOWSKI and his 54-yard FG. :rocker:

jczxohn1 said:
UP:
Evans -showed more than usual. wins the Evans/Cobbs battle
?
by default?
jczxohn1 said:
Down:
Cobbs- maybe playing to not get picked up, make the PS---
?
did a great job of that.
jczxohn1 said:
Hill--classic- 3 DB's make the tackle at his feet while he stands around and watches.
seemed like exactly what i saw. dude has to go.

Up - besides Bam:

Harrison - is back although that penalty was very unfortunate.

Vrabel - he is probably the surest tackler on the team and perhaps best at inside LB.

Sullivan improved as he went along and started to look solid by the end of the game. He seems very slow developing which sometimes happens with a DL, but the Pat's will give him plenty of time. He is exciting because of his potential at NT.

Santonio Thomas did very well and much better than Hill. He was around the QB a number of times, although a little too slow to get the sacks he deserved. He chased the QB out of the pocket once, but again was a little too slow and the QB got away. His biggest contribution this season may be as RE in a 4-man DL which is where he excels.

Kuzar did an excellent job as a blocking TE - he should make the PS.

Troy Brown - 3rd QB.

Down:

Backup OL - the LG let a big DL through right on Cassel. In a regular season game that could have been an injury for the QB. After that Luzar (TE) did a good job helping block on the left side to keep Cassel from getting hurt. The backups did better running the ball with Hochstein at Center.

Beisel has some very rough spots, like tackling, although he showed more talent against the run then he has been given credit for. He is very slow improving his skills and needs to apply himself better - he has Bruschi and Seau as resources. He showed just enough to keep the Pat's interested and probably make the roster.

Hill - played a lot but did very little and shouldn't make the roster.

Dillon did manage to eke out 3 yards per carry, his best in the last 3 games. He also caught a nice pass, the 2nd longer pass in the last 3 games, and of course he hasn't fumbled. I'm not clear why the Pat's need Dillon anymore.

Jarvis Green played extremely poorly on one play when he first came in - it was shocking how bad he was. Too bad the Pat's paid Green so much money last season because he had problems out there.

Seau was very slow moving laterally to the outside.

Colvin has not shown enough this year and was playing with the backups.

lobster said:
I'm not clear why the Pat's need Dillon anymore.

They can't cut him because the cap hit would be bigger than if he were on the team this year. Also see what happens when a rookie RB has to carry the load for the entire regular and postseason.

Everybody is throwning dirt on Cobbs because he had a bad game, he sure di stink tonight. Evans didn't show much himself, and Cobbs outplayed Evans in 3 of 4 preseason games this year. At best Evans is a placeholder till Pass comes back off the PUP list.

A lot of people are down on Hill and Green. Neither one has practiced or played in a while - should have expected some rust. With that being said, Green can point to past success; Hill cannot. I'll reserve judgement on Green, but I think Hill better wake up with a sore ankle today or he's out of a job.

I thought Wesley Britt was terrible. He was the guys who Strahan steamrolled into the QB for a sack. Also, beaten a few other times. Had some drive on running plays though. Of the other backup OL, I though Yates looked best. Didn't notice much +/- from the rest of the crew.

I thought Evans played ok,Childress made some nice plays,as someone said,good to see RH playing aggressively.Cobbs made some good plays,but did fumble....what was really cool was Troy Brown lining up behind the center....I loved it!

UP: Corey- the first run of the game showed that he still had the burst. No , He is not A. Smith allover again. ( I like A. Smith though)

Evans: I thnk he won himself a place on the 53. I don't know if Cobbs did.

Rodney: Showed his old agressiveness. I thought he looked tenative againts the skins. Now he needs to get his timing back. Someone said it was a foolish penalty that he took. Maybe if it was a regular season game. But, last night it showed he had the fire back.

Childress; Reminds me of a Troy Brown when he was in his 1st and 2nd year.

S. Thomas- liked what he has shown all yesr.

Sullivan: showed hustle for the second straight week. Not a started but could be a guy who gives Big Vince a few plays off.

Down:

Hill- hard to tell in his first game- does he still have that potential?

Warfield; don't think he makes it.

Several back up LO's- Hand, Murc, Britt all can say bye - bye

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
UP: Corey- the first run of the game showed that he still had the burst. No , He is not A. Smith allover again. ( I like A. Smith though)

Evans: I thnk he won himself a place on the 53. I don't know if Cobbs did.

Rodney: Showed his old agressiveness. I thought he looked tenative againts the skins. No he needs to get his timing back. Someone said it was a foolish penalty that he took. Maybe if it was a regular season game. But, last night it showed he had the fire back.

Childress; Reminds me of a Troy Brown when he was in his 1st and 2nd year.

S. Thomas- liked what he has shown all yesr.

Sullivan: showed hustle for the second straight week. Not a started but could be a guy who gives Big Vince a few plays off.

Down:

Hill- hard to tell in his first game- does he still have that potential?

Warfield; don't think he makes it.

Several back up LO's- Hand, Murc, Britt all can say bye - bye

Yes, I forgot to mention this before. The second-team OL was pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back