PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's to blame for Moss' absence in the post season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who's to blame for Moss' near absence in the post season?

• Belichick/McDaniels

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Randy

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Opponents

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bakes781

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Who's to blame for Moss' absence in the post season?

He was open deep 4 times that I counted, the protection just didn't hold up enough to exploit the Giants weak secondary.

I think absence is the wrong word. Moss was not absent. He was very much part of the offense during the post season. Serving as a decoy, taking on double/triple/multiple coverage, downfield blocking, are all specific and important roles on the offense. What you're looking for is something to describe the lack of targets to him. Lack of targets <> absence.

Assuming that's what you meant, so I think it's ultimately on the opposing defense, because the Pats take what they are given. You can script as many plays to Moss if you want, but in the end, if the opposing team is determined not to give it to you, they won't. In the games leading to the SB, Jax and SD gave them Maroney and the short passing game because they were determined not to let Moss beat them. In the SB, the Giants gave them a little bit of Moss. Enough for him to make some catches and score.

I think absence is the wrong word. Moss was not absent. He was very much part of the offense during the post season. Serving as a decoy, taking on double/triple/multiple coverage, downfield blocking, are all specific and important roles on the offense. What you're looking for is something to describe the lack of targets to him. Lack of targets <> absence.

Assuming that's what you meant, so I think it's ultimately on the opposing defense, because the Pats take what they are given. You can script as many plays to Moss if you want, but in the end, if the opposing team is determined not to give it to you, they won't. In the games leading to the SB, Jax and SD gave them Maroney and the short passing game because they were determined not to let Moss beat them. In the SB, the Giants gave them a little bit of Moss. Enough for him to make some catches and score.

Completely agree. I also thought Moss came up big in the clutch when NE needed him, too - both at the end of the first half (when he did well to make a good catch and get out of bounds to give NE a chance to score points before Brady's fumble) and at the end of the game on NE's last scoring drive and catching what should have been the game-winning score.

I thought Moss played well last night

Brady/McDaniels didn't get him the ball enough

I think the emergence of Faulk and Welker had as much to do with it as opponents did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes