PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's the emergency QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I mean, who's the non-QB who'd take snaps if all 2 or 3 (as the case may be) were injured in the same game? It used to be Faulk, then Troy, then ... uh, who was it after Troy?

I mean, who's the non-QB who'd take snaps if all 2 or 3 (as the case may be) were injured in the same game? It used to be Faulk, then Troy, then ... uh, who was it after Troy?
pretty sure its edelman

I think the last time it came up...it was Faulk...BUT I do not think they will be going into game 1 with only 2 QBs...9 days away...a LOT can happen.

If only the Pats had someone on the roster who played quarterback in college and threw for almost 5000 yards... oh, wait.

Do you have any basis for thinking that other than the fact that it seems to make sense?

edelman is also really cool...that better?

edelman is also really cool...that better?

Yeah, for a rookie he's garnered a lot of positive spin.. :)

Personally, I just can't see what all the hand-wringing is about. We have Brady & Hoyer. If both get knocked out, then Faulk or Edelman can step in until someone else gets aboard. Right now, with everything else going on, i think we'll be fine with the two QB's on the roster. :cool:

If both get knocked out, then Faulk or Edelman can step in until someone else gets aboard. Right now, with everything else going on, i think we'll be fine with the two QB's on the roster. :cool:
This isn't sand lot football...one doesn't JUST step up and play without a lot of preparation...I can remember in the past..Troy even had a series in a preseason game. IF they do intend to go with only 2 QBs..Faulk OR Edelman will be getting plenty of reps in practice...just in case. This isn't fantasy football where one can easily place players in and out... My thoughts are that they will have a third QB by the first game.

This isn't sand lot football...one doesn't JUST step up and play without a lot of preparation...I can remember in the past..Troy even had a series in a preseason game. IF they do intend to go with only 2 QBs..Faulk OR Edelman will be getting plenty of reps in practice...just in case. This isn't fantasy football where one can easily place players in and out... My thoughts are that they will have a third QB by the first game.

Yup... I agree. It just seems to me that the Patriots feel comfortable at the moment with Brady & Hoyer, especially considering the slim pickings for Veteran QB's out there.

What will be interesting is seeing if anyone besides the 2 QB's get any practice snaps this coming week.

respects,

This isn't handwringing, except that I was triggered to post it by a reference in another thread.

I try to figure out the "emergency" roster frequently. It's an amusing exercise.

Others:

Emergency CB -- some safety, probably Meriweather
Emergency S -- some CB
Emergency ILB -- Thomas
Emergency OLB -- some ILB

Emergency RB -- probably none except on short yardage; not sure who that would be (Wilfork?)

Emergency WR -- Watson or Faulk

Emergency P -- Gost
Emergency K -- Hanson? Welker?
Emergency LS -- Ninkovich (if active)? Who else? (Was Hochstein)
Emergency holder -- probably a QB

pretty sure its edelman

I'm not sure if people realize that there's actually a technical designation of "Emergency QB" that allows teams to have 46 players on the game day roster instead of 45.

The rules state that the Emergency QB can't play until the 4th Quarter - if he does the #1 and #2 QB are done for the day and can't return to the game.

That's not a huge problem normally - the 3rd string QB is often the Emergency QB - but for that reason Edelman is the LAST guy you'd want with that designation, because chances are BB would be looking to use him in other situations well before the 4th quarter.

If anything you'd make Hoyer the Emergency QB, knowing that he can't come in until the 4th quarter of a blowout (perfectly fine with all of us!). If Brady were injured and BB felt Hoyer were a major upgrade over Edelman I'm sure he'd put Hoyer in before the 4th Quarter and just roll the dice that Hoyer isn't going to be injured.

If the nature of this question is "who is the 3rd and 4th string QB" that's a different question completely - but the Emergency QB (46th player on the roster) likely wouldn't be Edelman, nor Faulk as I tend to think that Belichick might want to use Faulk sometime before the 4th quarter as well.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if people realize that there's actually a technical designation of "Emergency QB" that allows teams to have 46 players on the game day roster instead of 45.

The rules state that the Emergency QB can't play until the 4th Quarter - if he does the #1 and #2 QB are done for the day and can't return to the game.

That's not a huge problem normally - the 3rd string QB is often the Emergency QB - but for that reason Edelman is the LAST guy you'd want with that designation, because chances are BB would be looking to use him in other situations well before the 4th quarter.

If anything you'd make Hoyer the Emergency QB, knowing that he can't come in until the 4th quarter of a blowout (perfectly fine with all of us!). If Brady were injured and BB felt Hoyer were a major upgrade over Edelman I'm sure he'd put Hoyer in before the 4th Quarter and just roll the dice that Hoyer isn't going to be injured.

If the nature of this question is "who is the 3rd and 4th string QB" that's a different question completely - but the Emergency QB (46th player on the roster) likely wouldn't be Edelman, nor Faulk as I tend to think that Belichick might want to use Faulk sometime before the 4th quarter as well.

They don't list an emergency QB. If there is no plan to dress Edelman at WR then he would be named emergency QB

Given that the emergency QB rule is as it is, why list Edelman as a QB at all? Couldn't you just have him officially be a WR, and don't even have a backup QB? That way, bringing Hoyer in would just end Brady's day, and if Hoyer somehow got hurt, then you could move Edelman from WR purely as a matter of necessity. Is there anything specifically saying that the emergency QB has to be #3, and you have to designate 2 QBs before you can take advantage of the special Emergency QB designation?

Because if not, then it's only a matter of time before teams start using guys with a lot of positional versatility as their 'unofficial' #3 QB, and carrying only one official QB on the active roster, to be backed up by the emergency qb.

Last edited:
The poster was I believe interested to know who would take over the QB position if both were injured.. Clearly neither of the two would be the 46th player...BUT would be the player that would fill in an emergency. The use of an emergebcy QB as an inactive player hives the team a 46th active player BUT only by the guidelines.

The poster was I believe interested to know who would take over the QB position if both were injured.. Clearly neither of the two would be the 46th player...BUT would be the player that would fill in an emergency. The use of an emergebcy QB as an inactive player hives the team a 46th active player BUT only by the guidelines.

Right.

However, come to think of it -- if the emergency QB in my sense happened to be inactive, he could still be listed as the 46th player and hence available for worst-case scenarios.

By the way, you always have at least two legit QBs active on game day, just in case Brady has to sit out a play or two and then is able to come back in. If his backup were the 46th player, and this happened prior to Q4, Brady wouldn't be allowed back in ...

Right.

However, come to think of it -- if the emergency QB in my sense happened to be inactive, he could still be listed as the 46th player and hence available for worst-case scenarios.

By the way, you always have at least two legit QBs active on game day, just in case Brady has to sit out a play or two and then is able to come back in. If his backup were the 46th player, and this happened prior to Q4, Brady wouldn't be allowed back in ...
Yes...very true..but he would need that designation I believe...and yes..in an odd scenario once the Emergenxy QB is in...before the 4th, the other two QBs are gone.

Yes...very true..but he would need that designation I believe...and yes..in an odd scenario once the Emergenxy QB is in...before the 4th, the other two QBs are gone.

Right.

I was just asking without regard for what other positions he did or didn't play.

But honestly, I was assuming he'd have to be active on gameday, and forgetting that he could be the designated inactive guy.

Right.

If Brady was only going to be out for a few plays, that might be a case for using Edelman for those few plays.

Given that the emergency QB rule is as it is, why list Edelman as a QB at all?

Mainly because the Emergency QB only applies (if I'm not mistaken) to the 3rd QB.

If a coach preferred to have 45 active players instead of 46 that would be his perogative.

I'm open to any Patsfans members explaining the rationale of why playing without an extra LB, OL, DB etc... helps the team.

But if you wanted the benefit of having an extra active player, you'd probably designate Hoyer the Emergency QB, and have Edelman designated as the QB as well, regardless of where you plan on playing him.

Maybe it's just me but I think it (and hope) it's more likely we'd see Edelman playing in Quarters 1-3 than Hoyer - hence, if you want the benefit of a 46 man roster, you'd make Hoyer the Emergency QB.

I don't think this is all that complicated. The Emergency QB is a plus - not a negative - and while the Emergency QB is usually the third stringer, in our case, given Edelman's multiple roles, Hoyer, while presently #2 on the depth chart, would be the Emergency QB because we (hopefully) wouldn't want to see him until the 4th Quarter.

Given that the emergency QB rule is as it is, why list Edelman as a QB at all?

Mainly because the Emergency QB only applies (if I'm not mistaken) to the 3rd QB.

If a coach preferred to have 45 active players instead of 46 that would be his perogative.

I'm open to any Patsfans members explaining the rationale of why playing without an extra LB, OL, DB etc... helps the team.

But if you wanted the benefit of having an extra active player, you'd probably designate Hoyer the Emergency QB, and therefore have to designate Edelman as the QB as well, regardless of where you plan on playing him.

Maybe it's just me but I think it (and hope) it's more likely we'd see Edelman playing in Quarters 1-3 than Hoyer - hence, if you want the benefit of a 46 man roster, you'd make Hoyer the Emergency QB.

I don't think this is all that complicated. The Emergency QB is a plus - not a negative - and while the Emergency QB is usually the third stringer, in our case, given Edelman's multiple roles, Hoyer, while presently #2 on the depth chart, would be the Emergency QB because we (hopefully) wouldn't want to see him until the 4th Quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back