PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

who's the backup kicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

varjao

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
If God forbid something happens to Gostspace during a game, who is the backup kicker? I remember the last time Welker kicked an extra point or short field goal.

Depends on what for. Kickoffs are probably the punter. Extra points may see more going for 2. More going for it on 4th down in "easy" FG range. Desperation field goals (in that situation they are ALL desperation attempts) I'm not sure - depends on distance, I would think.

Nate Ebner played Rugby Union.

Rugby Union involves a lot of kicking, so maybe him.

(although the above would probably make him more suited to punting, but he might have taken the odd conversion when he played RU, which is the same as a PAT.)

whoever BB says it is.

Why is that, because the man has backup plans to his backup plans to his backup plans.

It's not very often a kicker gets injured during the game. So until it happens, it's not something to be very concerned about.

It's not very often a kicker gets injured during the game. So until it happens, it's not something to be very concerned about.

Yeah, but it's something about which to wonder.

I agree with the assumption that it's the punter on kickoffs. Why not?

And I haven't heard of anybody like Welker/Ventrone/whoever on other placekicking, so it's probably Allen on everything.

And Brady is presumably the backup holder, as demonstrated in last year's Indy playoff game when he in fact did hold for two Gostowski kicks. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...y-holds-on-kicks-for-first-time-since-college

If anybody has not only a Plan B but also a Plan C and Plan D in case of unforeseen circumstances, it is Bill Belichick.

My guess is that Ryan Allen becomes the kicker, and Brady replaces Allen as the holder. As I recall he held in place of Allen a couple of times last year.

As for Plan C, who knows - but I'm sure there is one in place.

OP, WTF got into you, posting something like this? Have you no normal sense of football superstition?!!

Allen would definitely do kick offs but BB probably has someone on the team he knows can do an extra point. I hope it's someone we would never expect like Chung or Cannon

I hope it's someone we would never expect like Cannon

Now that would be something to see. Of course then we'd have a constant debate as to "what kind" of kicker Cannon really was, and whether or not Belichick secretly had plans to move him to another position altogether.

Allen would definitely do kick offs but BB probably has someone on the team he knows can do an extra point. I hope it's someone we would never expect like Chung or Cannon
I'd piss myself watching big Vince line up to kick an extra point...

going for 2 after a TD and go for it on 4th Down? WHO needs a kicker :)

Nate Ebner played Rugby Union.

Rugby Union involves a lot of kicking, so maybe him.

(although the above would probably make him more suited to punting, but he might have taken the odd conversion when he played RU, which is the same as a PAT.)

I would not expect it to Ebner just because he played rugby. He was a fullback often kicking when he had ball in hand. Some fullback do kick conversions and penalties but not many. When kicking in rugby you get to kick off a tee that allows you to get your foot under the ball so it's quite different, here in the UK we get guys all the time who come to play Football in university and played rugby and struggle to kick without a tee.

The logical choice is Allen kickers and punters normally practice each others skill jut incase they need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes