PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's Right Regarding Our Corners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very important, but I can't help but think this team needs that new WR. Oh and a DE would help too. And we're sure thin on guards for the future. And hell, Wilfork is getting old...

wr, cb (ideally, one that can also play safety in a pinch), coverage lb, dline, oline are the main needs.

That said, watch BB draft another tight end.

The New England Patriots defense is another pulled hamstring away from Arrington and Dennard starting at cornerback with Cole at nickel.

Only if you make 3 assumptions:

1.That they wouldn't have Dowling on any level

2.That they wouldn't choose to have McCourty split or just move back there until the injury passed

3.That they won't either bring in some kind of vet for TC competition and/or take a flier on a mid/late round pick

It'll be up to Belichick to decide if there is a need for a high round draft pick this year or next year, and obviously we'll know in 2 weeks.

Yep. Especially against the Ravens in the playoffs! Simply fcuking amazing! :rolleyes:

Uhmm cb is a need (isn't it every year?) in the draft...

Comparing the depth of the secondary then and the 2013 version is completely unfair.

We already have 3 more players (Adrian Wilson, Ras-I-Dowling, Aqib Talib) than we had in last season's AFCCG loss, and potential for at least another player or two through the usual methods of UDFAs, roster cuts, current veteran FA signings, and even a mid/late round draft pick.

Whomever you're responding to has a valid point that having a full season of Talib and Dennard outside with Arrington in the slot and McCourty at safety (none of which played together more than down the stretch/playoffs) is already an enormous change from last season. Having another year of experience for Tavon Wilson, along with the addition of Adrian Wilson, and the return of Dowling is icing on the cake at the moment.

We could potentially have at least 4-5 quality starters now for the 2 outside spots at CB, and that's just with what is on the roster today. Obviously there's an argument for both sides, so it may not be as clear cut as you'd think. Belichick passed on some incredible deals for extremely cheap prices with quality starters and vets in free agency, so he may be fine with throwing a mid/later round draft pick (or no pick at all) into the mix just as well. We certainly have other needs to address first, and could likely get by until next year for spending a high round pick on a CB again.

wr, cb (ideally, one that can also play safety in a pinch), coverage lb, dline, oline are the main needs.

That said, watch BB draft another tight end.

I agree with you on WR and DL. I think those are clearly the 2 weakest positions looking toward the future at the moment, and that we need to use our first 2 picks on these positions. I also think trading down/out of round 1 is a great idea this year. That would add an additional 2nd + a 4th.

I think the coverage LB need has been met with the return of Fletcher, and the addition of Adrian Wilson--who I assume Belichick has plans for it that role. If we add another coverage LB, it probably wouldn't be until a late rd flier or even UDFA, if at all. He may choose to add a vet too. It certainly doesn't have to be a draft pick though.

That basically leaves OL (which is always a need in my opinion--future wise) and a secondary pick at either CB or S.

There's certainly a very good chance that most of these needs are met, along with a surprise BPA choice or even two. Either way, the team didn't have too many needs at it was although they made it a bit interesting by deciding to cut Llyod too. I'm sure our draft will have an eye on the current and the future though.

Must be addressed. Dowling, Arrington and Cole could all stand an upgrade.

I agree on Cole

Arrington is an above average slot, bordering on very good, and just got paid, he's going nowhere for at least 3 years.

Dowling has looked promising in the very little time he has played. He's the template (physically) for BB at outside CB.

If not this year, then next year we are liable to draft a CB in the 2nd round or earlier. This year I'd like CB, SS (with wheels) or FS, developmental G/C to replace Connolly after '13, coverage LB, and a scat or power RB.

Between salary cap issues and camp cuts I think we'll see more than the usual share of useful vets cut. I'd like BB to keep his powder dry (not spend anymore FA money now), and make cuts as needed to churn another 4-6 players onto the roster after the draft. Team wise we are going to have a very potent roster at the start of the season.

I agree on Cole

Arrington is an above average slot, bordering on very good, and just got paid, he's going nowhere for at least 3 years.

Dowling has looked promising in the very little time he has played. He's the template (physically) for BB at outside CB.

If not this year, then next year we are liable to draft a CB in the 2nd round or earlier. This year I'd like CB, SS (with wheels) or FS, developmental G/C to replace Connolly after '13, coverage LB, and a scat or power RB.

Between salary cap issues and camp cuts I think we'll see more than the usual share of useful vets cut. I'd like BB to keep his powder dry (not spend anymore FA money now), and make cuts as needed to churn another 4-6 players onto the roster after the draft. Team wise we are going to have a very potent roster at the start of the season.

If Winfield signs with Seattle that would spell the end for Trufant, Maxwell or Lane. I would not be adverse to giving 3rd rd value for Lane. Maybe a trade of our 2nd for their 3rd. I love this Kid and Max is the 3rd guy on the outside with Trufant and Winfield inside.

I think our DB's sometimes look worse than they are because they have to cover receivers for ridiculously long amounts of time. We don't get enough pressure on the QB. That said, they're not elite, but they're not the disaster the media makes them out to be

I think they absolutely need another CB. Some guy to push Dennard and to take over for Talib if/when he leaves. Ras-I hasn't really played football in 2 years, to depend on him to be that guy is a reach. Furthermore, we know that Arrington cannot play outside, and Cole just isn't that good. The last thing we want to see is McCourty have to move to CB from safety, since the Patriots apparently are committed to him playing safety.

This is a different situation than the WR situation, because the offense can be tweaked to cover for the loss of a WR or a TE, the offense can run different formations, sets, there are more guys that can do similar things. On the defense, you need CBs to cover receivers, you cannot cover a receiver with a safety or a LB, that usually turns out really bad.

Offense chooses what it is going to do, defenses have to match personnel on the field

Does McCourty really have to put on weight to play a position that he's played very well in the past 2 postseasons and stretch runs?

He's our rangy/quick speed guy in a more traditional "FS" role, although we know that L/R is more appropriate. His skillset really allows him to be just fine in my opinion. Besides, we may need him to take over the part-time role at CB too like in SB46, if we don't end up needing him for a more permanent role for a handful of games. I'd rather keep him where he's at which allows us maximum versatility.

I absolutely agree with your 2 biggest draft needs at DL, WR.

I can't say that I think safety is much of a need right now, but since Belichick plans for the future and takes the BPA alot, we can't rule anything out. The word from Bedard is that they are very high on T.Wilson starting opposite of McCourty this year, as they just used a high round choice last draft.

I hear what you're saying. I thought he was largely fine last year in terms of how much muscle he had on his frame. My perspective is that he's going to have to play a larger role in run support, like last year, since he's a full-time safety. Even if you look at Ed Reed, who's not that big, he certainly has more on his frame than McCourty, which is in large part for enduring the run support role. I think it can help his durability, not that it's been an issue. It's more precautionary. Guys like Ray Rice and Frank Gore are powerful players, and they're the norm in the NFL.

Ideally he only serves in that FS capacity, roaming around the secondary. But he's going to have to make more tackles on running backs and tight ends too. Luckily our front seven is pretty good. They were last year, and that helped a lot.

I agree that I'm not overly concerned with us grabbing a safety through the draft. It could happen if they saw great value in a specific player (as is always the case).

CB is a need but it can wait until at least day two. That position has more depth than WR and DE. Besides, all the CB's in the world aren't going to help you if the quarterback has enough time to take a dump in the backfield while reading the entire Sports section of the newspaper before having to find an open receiver.

You never can have enough quality corners in my book. Just look at what happened when Talib went down last year.

Can you trust Ras-I Dowling to play 16 games in a NFL Season without landing on injured reserve? Can you trust Ras-I Dowling to be a reliable boundary cornerback?

The New England Patriots defense is another pulled hamstring away from Arrington and Dennard starting at cornerback with Cole at nickel.

You just described every team in the league. Everyone is a pulled hammy away from a backup at starter. And yet the Pats keep ending up at or near the top every year despite what seems like an inordinate amount of injuries.

It's almost as if they plan for this type of thing.

its definitely a spot of need.

Look what happened when talib went down vs the ravens. Ras-I is in my eyes a wasted roster spot at this point, if he makes it through an entire game, let alone BREAKFAST without getting hurt i would be surprised. that kid just doesn't have the heart need to play through a hangnail let along some soreness.

We need someone who can come in, in a pinch and contribute. I'd like to see us go after Charles woodson, or ronde barber as insurance. both guys are old sure, but both guys can still play in spot duty, purely as stop gaps in the event of injury

its definitely a spot of need.

Look what happened when talib went down vs the ravens. Ras-I is in my eyes a wasted roster spot at this point, if he makes it through an entire game, let alone BREAKFAST without getting hurt i would be surprised. that kid just doesn't have the heart need to play through a hangnail let along some soreness.

We need someone who can come in, in a pinch and contribute. I'd like to see us go after Charles woodson, or ronde barber as insurance. both guys are old sure, but both guys can still play in spot duty, purely as stop gaps in the event of injury

Dowling had lingering hip issues before even coming into the league. That was a waste of a draft pick.

Dowling had lingering hip issues before even coming into the league. That was a waste of a draft pick.

Was it the hip too? I know he had some problem with a fused wrist or something, but I thought the hip was new to his pro career.

Was it the hip too? I know he had some problem with a fused wrist or something, but I thought the hip was new to his pro career.

Knee, hamstring, and ankle injuries in college. No hip problems.

We do plan for that sort of thing. We sign players with injury histories and we try to have solid depth at all positions. That is precisely why we need an additional corner. In addition, we must look to 2014. We should have young competitors for starting reps.

You just described every team in the league. Everyone is a pulled hammy away from a backup at starter. And yet the Pats keep ending up at or near the top every year despite what seems like an inordinate amount of injuries.

I'm in the CB as 2nd/3rd need camp, and depending upon who is left on the board would be all for taking Jamar Taylor early in this draft, especially if paired with a WR or DL. Although the more i look at it the more i think OLB is actually a pretty serious need, after Hightower and mayo the patriots have rivera and tarpinian at OLB and neither is anything more than a ST player. I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick went OLB in the first 2 rounds if there is a decent one available.

Yes, but not every team has complete junk as backups. On top of that, not every team has guys who are almost completely unproven (Dennard) or a proven hospital case (Talib) as their starters.

We need a long term solution to replace Talib along with insurance for the inevitable "Talib's leg falls off while sitting down to eat dinner" injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes