PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's our 5th LB and how are they doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakadave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Since Colvin went out, we shifted AT to OLB and now we have Vrable & Thomas outside, Bruschi & Seau inside, right?

Who's been our #5 linebacker (and #6 for that matter) and how have they done in the past month or so? I never hear about Alexander, it seems, except on special teams. Ditto for Woods. Then again, I haven't paid a lot of attention to focusing on this. Surely Bruschi and Seau are getting some plays off to rest, right? Do we just go 4-3 while they're out?

Woods and Alexander don't play on defense. Period.

They're great on ST, though.

Rodney has been playing as a LB in passing situations, with Meriweather and Sanders playing deep safety.

Edit: Alexander is in the goalline package.

Last edited:
Woods and Alexander don't play on defense. Period.

I saw way too much of alexander in last year's AFCCG on defense. Mostly getting burned covering colts TEs.

So he does play defense. Just if he is out there; you know we are in trouble.

At this point I have no clue who is in front of who between woods/alexander if someone gets hurt.

I guess giants wont have to prepare for that 1-6-4 defensive alignment. :)

Woods and Alexander DO play, albeit sparingly, on defense. As for Alexander getting burned by Dallas Clark in that AFCCG, he made a lot of plays beside those blown ones, so that aspect of his career is a bit overstated. That said, I sure was hoping he'd show up more as a potential LB replacement than he has this season.

Patriots middle linebacker is a HARD position to learn and execute well. Vrabel is an all pro outside LB but only very competent inside I guess. So, while early results don't look all that good, only the future will tell us if that is the case or if the Patriots are grooming him.

Woods and Alexander DO play, albeit sparingly, on defense. As for Alexander getting burned by Dallas Clark in that AFCCG, he made a lot of plays beside those blown ones, so that aspect of his career is a bit overstated. That said, I sure was hoping he'd show up more as a potential LB replacement than he has this season.

Plus Alexander made the game-saving tackle on Clayton on the final play vs. the Ravens. If he doesn't overpower Clayton there, bye-bye perfect season.

When people talk about covering dallas clark by a LB.... how many LB in our team or that matter any team in the league cover him 1 on 1.

a bigger safety with great instincts [harrison] is the only one who has shut him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes