PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's missing Josh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course when you have the turnover we have had you're going to go through growing pains.

One things I cannot understand though is the 2 play-action passes on the last drive. I mean who the hell are you trying to fool

I think Josh would of utilized the screen game a lot better than we did today if he was still with the Pats, but I am glad he is 2-0 after all the crap he took during the off season.

I just dont understand what the Pats are trying to do on either side of the ball. On offense they loaded the backfield with legit runners. Maroney, Taylor, Morris, Faulk, BJGE and Brady is still back there throwing the ball 50 times a game, Maybe the coaches just dont have too much confidence with the lines ability to run block I dunno.

On defense Ive never witnessed such a vanilla basic BB defense. It is starting to get frustrating to watch, the team just refuses to blitz for some reason even with the upgrades in the secondary. BB has to have a talk with Peabody. I know the Pats blitzed no more than five times last week, I dont even remember seeing a blitz vs the Jets which is just mind boggling considering we went up against a rookie qb with an average receiving core.

We blitzed the Jets twice at the end of the game, and both had successful outcomes. On the first, TBC completely leveled Sanchez. On the second, Sanchez was forced out of the pocket and into the arms of Ty Warren. Unfortunately, we're going to have to blitz a lot more this year in order to stop the pass and it will eventually kill us down the road. Without Seymour, the front four is incapable of generating a pass rush by itself.

We blitzed the Jets twice at the end of the game, and both had successful outcomes. On the first, TBC completely leveled Sanchez. On the second, Sanchez was forced out of the pocket and into the arms of Ty Warren. Unfortunately, we're going to have to blitz a lot more this year in order to stop the pass and it will eventually kill us down the road. Without Seymour, the front four is incapable of generating a pass rush by itself.

Yeah 8 sacks from a de/dt is going to be hard to replace, imagine Seymour with Burgess, thomas, TBC, Mayo. Could of been nice to say the least.

Although I am a big McDaniels supporter and I feel he would have called a much better game than O'Brien did the last two games (the guy is a rookie and learning), I think people blame the OC far too much for lack of execution. There were many times that the call was right the last two games and either Brady's pass was off or the receiver was out of position or he dropped the ball. That is execution, not play calling.

I don't think O'Brien calls the game as well as McDaniels nor do I think he makes as good of adjustments, but he is learning. I also don't think he is solely to blame for the offensive woes. If the Pats' offense is struggling like this come week 10 or 11, then I might reassess my feelings, but I think it is still more execution problem than a scheming problem.

That said, I don't think O'Brien did a good job today.

No not missing Josh. Missing Charlie Weis. LOL

I remember when Charlie would go "max" protect when we played teams that applied this type of pressure and had only Givens and Branch out on routes.

Brady had time for short passes. Yes max protect would have given him more time to go deep. However, in such a scenario they would be double covered and just BTW, when Brady did have the time to go long he was off the mark.

I remember when Charlie would go "max" protect when we played teams that applied this type of pressure and had only Givens and Branch out on routes.

Brady had time for short passes. Yes max protect would have given him more time to go deep. However, in such a scenario they would be double covered and just BTW, when Brady did have the time to go long he was off the mark.

They didn't go long w/ max protect though, when they went deep, Brady was under pressure b/c it was still 5 on 5 blocking up front, and the O-Line wasn't handling it. And he might've had time to get off short passes, but he had no one to throw them to - the receivers didn't have time to get open - the DBs were all over them (a lot of borderline PI's that went uncalled).

The game plan would've required perfect execution, and there was not perfect execution.

Last edited:

And you know that because you have the game plan in front of you and know what the calls and reads and blitz adjustments were supposed to be and what route depths and breaks were indicated based on coverage. Don't ya.

It's sad but it doesn't take double coverage to stop this offense most of the time lately. I see incredible effort catches made almost routinely in other games every week against tight and even double coverage and I ask myself why can't we get guys like those...

My point was that since we've gone to the spread attack, the "fire blitz" that the Eagles employed and that others have consequently emulated has been a problem for us. Don't get me wrong, we've scored on teams that have blitz us like crazy, but Tom gets beat up and it's taking it's toll.

It would have been a nice wrinkle to add some max protect play calling and have one of the greatest receivers of all time go out there and run a full route. Too many times Randy can't get open on those long routes because Brady is under durress.

Josh McDaniels wouldn't have done crap in this game for us. Brady still looks tense, throwing off his back foot, nervous, and he just needs a little more time is all. He overthrew receivers all day long. Losing Welker for the game was a huge blow.

3 FG's in Red zone = Fail.

Time to try that again, methinks.

1) And you know that because you have the game plan in front of you and know what the calls and reads and blitz adjustments were supposed to be and what route depths and breaks were indicated based on coverage. Don't ya.

2) It's sad but it doesn't take double coverage to stop this offense most of the time lately. I see incredible effort catches made almost routinely in other games every week against tight and even double coverage and I ask myself why can't we get guys like those...

1) Are you sure that he's wrong?

2) Who needs guys like those when we have the Randy Ratio & Joey Galloway, whose combined age would qualify for Soc. Security benefits?

I guess there was game plan. Run the same for formation all game, with no halftime adjustments, rotating the tight ends and running backs. And oh yeah, have Brady throw the ball 50 times.

I guess there was game plan. Run the same for formation all game, with no halftime adjustments, rotating the tight ends and running backs. And oh yeah, have Brady throw the ball 50 times.

Thing is, this isn't too different from what we did from 06-08. We ran a bit more, but it was still using similar plays in the same situations. Why do you think Welker had almost the identical number of catches in consecutive years, and why our shot gun% was almost the same for three straight seasons.

We do have unbelievable talent on offense, but I'd rather go back to the 01-04 chameleon offenses where every week, and every season, was different on offense.

I've thought this for awhile now, but Welker > Moss.

Hard for me to buy. Edelman is not far behind Welker. Moss is probably the most gifted wide receiver of all-time.

I like the no huddle with the wrist pads but the play calling was terrible. They have a lot of work to do.

Josh led us to zero Super Bowls. We were balanced when we had Weis, and one year because we had a healthy Dillon.

He was more imaginative and set teams up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back