PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's missing Josh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playcalling really draws attention to itself in the red zone and the Pats have been woefully inept when in scoring position.

Yes Brady has been off the mark but the playcalling has been highly suspect too.

dont know if it was brady...

dont know if it was the wr's....

dont know if it was welker not playing....

dont know if it was the refs not throwing the flag when they should have....

dont know if it was the jets defense.....

dont know if it was the playcalling......

dont know if it was the OC.....

but the offense didnt click, and it really should have.....

and the playcalling for one was VERY simple, and repetitive....

It would have been fine if Bardy wasn't in such a rush and inaccurate. Oh, and the fact that Galloway sucks. Blame the o-line a little. Blame Brady a lot. It had nothing to do with the play calling.

And all you people talking about Seymour? Are you kidding? They would have given up less than 16 points with him? C;mon. Wilhite played awful.

Last edited:

I alluded to this thought earlier - but I blame bad execution over bad play calling. Give B O'Brien time...I remember reading the same stuff after Charlie left...

Well, we all know who ISN'T missing McKid, but I won't name names...

Playcalling on offense and defense has been atrocious so far. On defense it's been atrocious under Pees since he came on. I just can't figure out why we can't figure out that blitzing can be good when the other team blitzes 100 times and kicks our ass.
On offense, the Pats should have been more prepared, it's that simple. The Jets did most of the same stuff the Ravens did in 07. Spreading the field on first down makes no sense against a blitzing team. The offense was left in way too many 3rd and long situations which lets a blitzing team tee off on the opposing QB. You MUST run to take some pressure off the passing game. Even if you gain 2-3 yards per run, that leaves you 3rd and 5, which gives you much more flexibility in terms of playcalling within the spread offense.
19 carries, 4.2 ypc. The fact that they were never down more than 7 and abandoned that is simply stunning. There's no justifying it.

I found the offensive gameplan odd. There was nothing to it. I personally think history has shown they have less success spreading the field against these blitz teams (PHI, BAL, NYG, now NYJ) then if they left more protection in. 3 wide, 1 te, 1 rb, all game long - I would've liked to see how a 2TE-2RB set would've fared.

exactly, the formations were just so.....mediocre

and if we only have 3 wr's, why not go with 2 TE's? i mean really, u have two very good pass cathing TE's, yet u leave 3 wr's and 1 rb on the field?

and why were morris and taylor out wide? especially on streak routes? let faulk do that if anyone from the rb core ahs two, he can catch those....

ive heard it said once that where Weis attacked depending on opponents weaknesses, McDaniels attacked based on our strengths....this new playcalling reflects mcdaniels method....which doesnt work right now, since brady isnt quite back yet, and hes not clicked with an important piece of the offense....

Was it just me, or did Ty Warren decide not to play today?? Pretty quiet...

He had 8 tackles today ... 2nd behind Guyton who had 10. He also had 1 sack.

Did we run ONE screen play? I cannot remember. Isn't that supposed to keep the blitz honest?

yesterday brian billick showed on nfln that is impossible to screen the rex ryan defense due to the overload blitzes.

I'm not missing Skippy; he's part of the reason why our offense has now become so stagnant, so predictable, so...girly.

We are not missing Josh...we are missing talent.

:confused:

We scored 9 points. We lost Gaffney, Thomas and slop. And you think the problem is talent of offense ???

Don't miss Josh at all, he had PLENTY of stinkers in terms of gameplans (highlighted by the complete lack of 2nd half adjustments in the 2007 Super Bowl). Every OC has his good days and bad days, mainly because they get too much credit when you win and too much blame when you lose.

Miss Romeo, but let's all remember that you cannot run exotic defenses with the amount of inexperienced & young talent that the Pats have right now. I'm not a big Pees fan, but I expect that the D will be progressively less vanilla as the young guys get acclimated. That said, they are shutting down the opponents' best threats (TO/Evans and Leon Washington today). Clearly all is not lost.

Personally, I think that it helps to have a solid OC. I think that offense was seriously outcoached by the jets coaching staff.

I miss Josh, Romeo, Charlie, and even Mangini.

Personally, I think that it helps to have a solid OC. I think that offense was seriously outcoached by the jets coaching staff.

Outcoached by a Shottenheimer! OUCH!

Honestly, I do believe that the play calling would have been a little better under Josh. I believe he would have leaned on the run a little more in this game after watching the kind of runs that Taylor was breaking off in the second quarter. I mean, the guy was averaging 5.8 YPC but, for some reason, we kept trying to have Brady win the game for us even though he was clearly strugging. You cannot attempt 47 passes in a game against a defense like the one the Jets have and expect to win.

?????????????????????????
OUT: Gaffney, Thomas, Washington
IN: Taylor, Baker, Galloway, Edelman

Arguably, we have the best talent on offense in the entire NFL and as good as we had in 2007 (at least we will when Brady in back to near 100% in the second half).

Honestly, I do believe that the play calling would have been a little better under Josh. I believe he would have leaned on the run a little more in this game after watching the kind of runs that Taylor was breaking off in the second quarter. I mean, the guy was averaging 5.8 YPC but, for some reason, we kept trying to have Brady win the game for us even though he was clearly strugging. You cannot attempt 47 passes in a game against a defense like the one the Jets have and expect to win.

I think Josh would of utilized the screen game a lot better than we did today if he was still with the Pats, but I am glad he is 2-0 after all the crap he took during the off season.

I just dont understand what the Pats are trying to do on either side of the ball. On offense they loaded the backfield with legit runners. Maroney, Taylor, Morris, Faulk, BJGE and Brady is still back there throwing the ball 50 times a game, Maybe the coaches just dont have too much confidence with the lines ability to run block I dunno.

On defense Ive never witnessed such a vanilla basic BB defense. It is starting to get frustrating to watch, the team just refuses to blitz for some reason even with the upgrades in the secondary. BB has to have a talk with Peabody. I know the Pats blitzed no more than five times last week, I dont even remember seeing a blitz vs the Jets which is just mind boggling considering we went up against a rookie qb with an average receiving core. Even vs the rams in the super bowl the team hardly blitzed but were physical and nasty, now there just basic and letting opposing offenses dictate the game to them. Its hard to argue cause there just giving up about 17 points a game but still something is missing it seems like.

Last edited:
I think they mostly missed Welker and a non-rusty Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes