PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Who's Hot, Who's Not" -- Patriots-Cardinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexander had a good night on ST's great hit to cause the fumble.

I am feel ing better about a rotation of Bruschi, Seau and Gardner on the inside and Vrabel, Colvin and TBC on the outside, TBC looked good last night.
I liked Woods play at LB also.

O'Callahan combined with Kaczur will give us a good RT, Gorin's days as a starter are numbered.

Ghost was very good with depth on the KO's the wedge was being net at the between the 15 & 20, tackling on the ST's could improve.

It looked like the Cards were run blitzing on 1st down, IMO Brady check off on that in the regular season and burns the D. This O with C JAckson and Branch is gonna be scary.

Bam making a strong case to make the team. Evans, Pass, Cobbs battle for the last RB spot is gonna be intense, ST's make the difference.

HOT: Graham- monster blocks on a few plays and a nice reception. Andrews has made the team. Faulk: who wants to cut this guy now? Childress:not pretty but gets the job done.

Warm: Cassel: Inspite of the lofty #'s, he seemed to be locked in on recievers. Got lucky on a couple of receptions that were tipped. A few battered balls that were a combo of the OL and his fault. Needs to find the passing lanes better.

Chad Scott: did some good things but nothing great- still makes the team in my opinion.

NOT: Britt as a RT. Seems to have trouble in space. Needs to be switched to guard.

Warfield: Can't seem to think of anything that he did well out there.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
Warm: Cassel: Inspite of the lofty #'s, he seemed to be locked in on recievers. Got lucky on a couple of receptions that were tipped. A few battered balls that were a combo of the OL and his fault. Needs to find the passing lanes better.

Lets see what he can do with real WRs and a good OL.

PATSNUTme said:
NOT: Britt as a RT. Seems to have trouble in space. Needs to be switched to guard.

I thought Britt looked fine. Isn't he a bit tall to play G?

PATSNUTme said:
He did have an INT - unfortunately he fumbled after it.

JackBauer said:
Lets see what he can do with real WRs and a good OL.

I thought Britt looked fine. Isn't he a bit tall to play G?

He had most of his problems when he was with mostly 1st teamers. I'm not saying that he was awful. He did well for a guy with his experience. I'm just not read to heap praise on him based on his #'s last night. he still needs a lot of work but it could come to him quickly.

Britt is not too tall for guard. If, he can keep his leverage, his wing span will be an asset on pass protection and he could be a road grader on running plays. He doesn't seen to have the quick feet that is needed for tackle.

If you can't play with leverage it doesn't matter how short or tall you are.

PATSNUTme said:
He had most of his problems when he was with mostly 1st teamers. I'm not saying that he was awful. He did well for a guy with his experience. I'm just not read to heap praise on him based on his #'s last night. he still needs a lot of work but it could come to him quickly.

Britt is not too tall for guard. If, he can keep his leverage, his wing span will be an asset on pass protection and he could be a road grader on running plays. He doesn't seen to have the quick feet that is needed for tackle.

If you can't play with leverage it doesn't matter how short or tall you are.

I guess.

I doubt he moves to G. We're deeper there than we are at T, so if he makes the roster, I'd wager its at his current position.

HOT:

Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Jarvis Green- these guys look ready, in shape. On the first play, Green handled a block from L. Davis and made the play. Impressive. Wait till #93 get back, we'll be rolling then.

TBC- using his speed to set the edge, not the power Willie McG used, but I like it

Gardner- showed some skills, a solid rotation player

Mike Wright, Santonio Thomas, Dan Klecko- Mike played with the first unit, did fine. I heard he was the fastest DL at the combine in 2005 and it shows. Thomas and Klecko whupped #2 OL of the Cards.

Dan Graham- thank god he's back. What a physical presence. I saw him throwing a DL of the Cards to the ground. Love it!

Matt Light + Logan Mankins- these guys are solid as they come. The left side of the OL is defintely our strength. I was worried about Light but he looks like he's back. Mankins threw a Cardinals DL to the ground like Graham.

Dean Pees- I just loved how we switched from 3-4 to 4-3 in this game. DL really getting after the QB. The secondary looked prepared and in place to make plays. LB's played their gaps. Overall, a very agressive style, and you could see in players body language that they like it too.

Kick coverage: I really liked this. It seems we have more speed this year on coverage, something I thought we lacked last year.

COLD:

Dillon: He ran high during this game. I love Corey, but 2.6 yrds/carry looks too much like last year.

Russ Hochstein + Steve Neal: Both struggled in pass protection and Russ seemed to be overmatched the whole game.

patchick said:
NOT:

NFL Network announcing team. I'm usually pretty tolerant of announcers, but that was painful. The 432 repetitions of "decisive" were bad enough, but the knockout punch came after a nice play by Troy Brown:

"You can't teach that! That's learned behavior!"

:violent:
lol! The game wasn't on here - did they really say that! :rolleyes:

patchick said:
It's a pet peeve of mine that announcers never distinguish between stupid penalties away from the ball that negate a good play, and penalties for behavior that enabled the play to begin with. They say that the offense "got lucky" or "dodged a bullet" when an INT is called back for holding, when in fact it was the illegal holding that created the INT. (Seemed to me that was clearly the case on the Hobbs play.)
I agree, Hobbs hold killed the QB/WR timing and allowed him to tip the ball for the int, that said, my first impression watching the replay was that he took a "smart" penalty to avoid a big gain - we'll see how it looks in slo-mo on the tape.

Most announcers are my pet peeve, but my pappy taught me the value of a long walk in the woods with your .22 for pets who peeve on you. :violent:

As many have noted, this team was old Sunday Night standard bad. :bricks:

Ichiro said:
HOT:

TBC- using his speed to set the edge, not the power Willie McG used, but I like it

Gardner- showed some skills, a solid rotation player

Happy with both these guys lok to be a part of the rotation at OLB and ILB.

Mike Wright, Santonio Thomas, Dan Klecko- Mike played with the first unit, did fine. I heard he was the fastest DL at the combine in 2005 and it shows. Thomas and Klecko whupped #2 OL of the Cards.

Some hard cuts on the DL, Thomas still eligible for the PS. Smith seems to be making progress sorry he couldn't play last night, then ther is Sullivan and Hill lots of talent but underachievers?

Kick coverage: I really liked this. It seems we have more speed this year on coverage, something I thought we lacked last year.

Spotty, dropped a guy at the 15, and Alexander made a great hit on the fumble. But a number of missed tackles and returns past the 30. With the depth Ghost is getting on his KO's they should be stopping people around the 20 not past the 30.

COLD:

Dillon: He ran high during this game. I love Corey, but 2.6 yrds/carry looks too much like last year.

Note that Dillon ran mostly on 1st down, it looked to me like the Cards played 8 in the box and ran some run blitz's, he had no holes. In the reg season Brady check' soff on those and runs a play action pass. He finished the runs well and got all the available yardage on those plays.

Seymour93 said:
I would add Warfield to the Who's Not and possibly Andrews.

O'Callaghan played the whole first half and usually completed his assignments. He should be on the Who's Hot, IMO.
Andrews is to me is on the hot list, Just because he droped a pass does not make hime not hot:confused:

Underoath said:
bam childress really impressed me.

and i think Willie Andrews should be cut, he sucks.
Why does willie suck he is better then alot of our ws

rtunstal said:
Andrews is to me is on the hot list, Just because he droped a pass does not make hime not hot:confused:

I think it is due to the muffed punt. He took his eyes off the ball for a moment and did not catch it well. IMO he was thinking about his dropped pass and not thinking about the incoming punt. But overall a solid night for our seturner/safety/wr.

14thDragon said:
I think it is due to the muffed punt. He took his eyes off the ball for a moment and did not catch it well. IMO he was thinking about his dropped pass and not thinking about the incoming punt. But overall a solid night for our seturner/safety/wr.

I'd give Andrews a mulligan on the muffed punt. For a free catch, he was certainly encroached upon. Might have even been touched. If it was regular season, IMO he would have drawn a penalty. Good training.

pats1 said:
Who's Hot:

Tully Banta-Cain
Troy Brown
Matt Cassel
Bam Childressl
Heath Evans
Stephen Gostkowski
Dan Klecko
Laurence Maroney
Garrett Mills
Dave Thomas
Ben Watson
Pierre Woods

surely i will add Kevin Faulk on the who's hot list

italianpatthepatriot said:
surely i will add Kevin Faulk on the who's hot list

I would too, but the 'edit' feature expires after about 12 hours. ;)

pats1 said:
I would too, but the 'edit' feature expires after about 12 hours. ;)

anyway Pats1 i agree with you for all other players

PATSNUTme said:

Re: Warfield: You of course mean BESIDES the INT...

AzPatsFan said:
Re: Warfield: You of course mean BESIDES the INT...

Good veteran presence. Working hard to pick up a new system (compared to Biesel,another KC alum, he's a paragon). Great addition to the nickel or dime pkg. Valuable injury ins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back