PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Who's Hot, Who's Not" -- Patriots-Cardinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
jczxohn1 said:
Finally, two names I didn't here mentioned were Colvin and Mincey.
Rosy got some good pressure off the edge, Zona's starting O-line knew who to watch. I don't recall Mincey doing anything to stand out, but if you recall Klecko getting a good push up the middle it might be because the Cards were focused on the edges. Not that Danno isn't a good pass rusher, but Scumlanta's chop blockers doubled him a lot and I don't recall that as much tonight. We'll see what tape shows me.

I just went back and looked at the Dillon TD again. The outside blocking was all done by TE/FB. Graham was TE on the line. Thomas was set back from the line and Mills was set up as FB. They had all of the blocks on the outside that got Dillon across the goal line. That's an interesting goal line set.

Dragda said:
I caught that too. The coverage of the game was quite poor. Showing the wrong highlight, not haviong graphics for the starting lineups, effusive praise for Leinart after every play.

Sterling Sharpe makes me ill.

pats1 said:
Who's Hot:

Tully Banta-Cain
Troy Brown
Matt Cassel
Bam Childressl
Heath Evans
Stephen Gostkowski
Dan Klecko
Laurence Maroney
Garrett Mills
Dave Thomas
Ben Watson
Pierre Woods

Who's Not:

Monty Beisel
Martin Gramatica
Chad Jackson
Patrick Pass

Brandon Gorin

That's all I can think of for negatives. Gorin is my favorite whipping boy, and he had some problems. Hochstein did too.

Beisel, Gramatica, and the rest are on their simply for one reason:

As we all witnessed tonight, this team is really starting to come together. Unfortunately, and it's not entirely the players' fault, they are left behind.

Add Alexander to the HOT list. He had a nice hit on the return man of the Cardinals for a forced fumble that was recovered by Gay.

KEVIN FAULK! He was great tonight, he is such a good threat, he is definitley on the hot list. I love his little jukes. :D

ctpatsfan77 said:
Troy Brown clones are probably second on BB's list, right after Vrabel clones (the Pats need more depth at LB, and you know how much BB loves TEs :D ).

I have to disagree. I think Brady clones are on the top of his list! :D

Yeah, our running back corps is looking pretty good now. Heath Evans had a good night and it's gonna be tough to see who they end up having to cut out of all the talented running backs.

Samuel also had another nice interception.

Last edited by a moderator:
chowder said:
Yeah, our running back corps is looking pretty good now. Heath Evans had a good night and it's gonna be tough to see who they end up having to cut out of all the talented running backs.

Samuel also had another nice interception.
Well Evans has only been scoring against third and fourth string defenses after all...I'd rather take Cobbs or Pass...whoever.

Kdo5 said:
Well Evans has only been scoring against third and fourth string defenses after all...I'd rather take Cobbs or Pass...whoever.

This is true. Also, I consider Mills in more of a fullback role so even though he is technically a tight end, he may be competing for one of the running back slots. So while running back was a big concern in the offseason, I think we are rather strong at that position right now.

Kdo5 said:

Evans does what he is asked to do. BB puts him in there, and he scores against who he has to, not his fault. He's consistent in whatever he is asked to do. However, alot of people on this board bash him to death. Well, I'd rather have a guy who is actually out there playing over a guy who is consistently injured, and basically a larger version of K. Faulk. We don't need Pass anymore, and if either of the two go, it should be Pass. And, i'll be preaching that down to the final cutdowns. If Pass was out there, he would be playing against the same 2nd-4th stringers, and alot of people wouldnt knock that against him. Gimme the guy that is most likely to suit up and play whenever you call his name. That just isn't Pass. He's soft, and so is Beisel d%#*!@t. Get their replacements and show them the road. Also, please dont use the whole special teams thing for an argument here. Pass isn't a stud and will be easily replaceable. We havent missed him there yet, have we?

Kdo5 said:
Gently lad, Evans did okay last year, and watching him run tonight he ran hard. Sharpe even stopped gabbing long enough to exclaim about the hitting on the one run up the middle of the field. He's been scoring with the second string QB and second, third, and fourth string offensive partners too, give the guy a little credit. Whichever combination of backs BB comes up with will be a winner, the scouts checking out the team tonight won't go wrong grabbing any back that gets cut. I wouldn't be surprised in we wind up playing against Evans in a Jets uniform given how badly their RB corps is at the moment.

holyredeemer said:
Evans does what he is asked to do. BB puts him in there, and he scores against who he has to, not his fault. He's consistent in whatever he is asked to do. However, alot of people on this board bash him to death. Well, I'd rather have a guy who is actually out there playing over a guy who is consistently injured, and basically a larger version of K. Faulk. We don't need Pass anymore, and if either of the two go, it should be Pass. And, i'll be preaching that down to the final cutdowns. If Pass was out there, he would be playing against the same 2nd-4th stringers, and alot of people wouldnt knock that against him. Gimme the guy that is most likely to suit up and play whenever you call his name. That just isn't Pass. He's soft, and so is Beisel d%#*!@t. Get their replacements and show them the road. Also, please dont use the whole special teams thing for an argument here. Pass isn't a stud and will be easily replaceable. We havent missed him there yet, have we?
About this time last year I seem to remember a number of the usual suspects whining about Pass looking good against the third string.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I'm sorry Mike, if someone is out with an injury they don't belong on the list, that's cold dude. And Gramatica was sitting for another reason; Gorin shouldn't be at LT period.

You beat me to it, Box. I don't know about Pass but the rest of those guys were out.

Asante is without a doubt going to be our #1 Cornerback. A lot of talk that Hobbs is, but he still has a ways to go. Samuel is really starting to turn it up and really is a play maker.

What a game by the Patriots. Where to start!? Tom Brady kept in the game for a while he was red hot and he is the best Quarterback in the league. He is so calm no matter what and look at his recievers, Brady has all kind of targets anywhere and he finds them all. Who needs Branch? Well Brady found just about anyone and was like 15/20 or something like that, very good job. Spreading the ball and he is just amazing. Matt Cassel he looked very very good tonight. It didnt look awesome with an 0/3 start but he seems to have ended with a very good completion percentage and he looked ultra calm too, finding any open reciever with ease and connecting with them.

Running game was good. Dillon ran into some road blocks but he does use his power to do whatever it takes to get a few extra yards. And he is a great threat in the red zone...he will get lots of TD's this year. Maroney looked good too. Overall it wasnt the better of Dillons games so far but he got a touchdown so thats all that really counts for me. KEVIN FAULK. Man he did a nice job. A three headed monster we have at running back, each with different styles. Gotta love it. Heath Evans...he might not make the team, he has done good but then again he is facing the last stringers of the opposing team.

The recievers were good and I was having a good time watching the "no names" make catches all over the place and I was happy to see Troy Brown make two good consecutive catch and runs.Not much to complain about here. They did their job and did it well. Watson made a few nice catches, Thomas was wide open at the end of the game. Mills impressed again with some good receptions.

The defense was good especially against a good offense. Warner didnt look very good, Asante, you just know he is going to make a pick. And he has now had a pick in his last four games...yes two were pre season...the other were post season. The running game for Arizona didnt do too good. Tully made a nice sack and boy he is really trying to show he can be on the first team defense and become a starter, nice job by him. There were a few good pressurings but I didnt like how Leinart could scramble away so easily and get tons of yards. The secondary performed well. The Cards offense was very quiet. Some nice plays, good pick by Samuel...Tebucky almost had 1 or 2 picks, Warfield got one...but damn you should just go down you're up by 27 points! Randall Gay batted away a pass near the end, it was good to see him back in action including recovering the Alexander forced fumble. The Ghost was 3/3 and had some nice kick offs, ofcourse his kicks were only in the 30's but bottom line is he nailed them all easy and yes I see him as our kicker!

But the Patriots did great tonight, its pre season but it was impressive and encouraging.

Bam Bam will make the team. Go Pats

A couple observations:

- Wilfork looks like a beast. I expect great things from him this season. He is a HUGE (literally, a wall) presence in the middle of the line and looks like he's developing nicely.

- Gostkowski was solid, which was nice to see. Looked good on kickoffs, and of course was perfect on FG attempts.

- A couple of times I noticed Mankins absolutely DOMINATING (dragging to the ground/pancaking) the DL he was blocking. I wouldn't be surprised if he develops into the best OL we have, if he isn't already.

- O'Callaghan looked good. A lot better than Gorin. I also noticed Stevenson playing well at LG.

- It was great to see Graham out there again. Judging by the way he was pursuing his blocks, I'd guess that he's pretty close to 100 percent. If his shoulders are still bothering him, I couldn't tell. He reminded me why he is so valuable to this team in that regard.

- Faulk really is a catalyst in this offense. The potential is scary. Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown, Watson, Graham, Thomas, Mills, Faulk... enough said.

- RBs looked good in blitz pickup. Cobbs pancaked a blitzing safety on one particular play. Thomas and Mills laid nice blocks on the Dillon TD run, with Mills playing lead FB. I would say that Pass' roster spot is in serious, serious jeopardy.

- Watson is going to be a big target for Brady this year. He had a couple of nice grabs.

- Cassel looked very impressive, probably the best I've ever seen him. I see a lot of Brady showing through in him, although Cassel is more mobile. I feel a lot more confident with him as a backup after his performance.

- TBC looked good on almost every play I saw him in on.

- Woods also impressed.

- It was great to see Seau in uniform on the sidelines. He elicited quite a response from the crowd, which was nice to see.

- Vrabel is really turning into a leader on this defense.

- Samuel had a nice game, with a sweet INT. He was shaken up on one play but luckily it didn't appear to be serious.

- Very few negatives (Gorin) from last night's game. This offense, with Branch and Jackson, could be unstoppable.

pats1 said:
Who's Hot:

Tully Banta-Cain
Troy Brown
Matt Cassel
Bam Childressl
Heath Evans
Stephen Gostkowski
Dan Klecko
Laurence Maroney
Garrett Mills
Dave Thomas
Ben Watson
Pierre Woods

Who's Not:

Monty Beisel
Martin Gramatica
Chad Jackson
Patrick Pass

Brandon Gorin

That's all I can think of for negatives. Gorin is my favorite whipping boy, and he had some problems. Hochstein did too.

Beisel, Gramatica, and the rest are on their simply for one reason:

As we all witnessed tonight, this team is really starting to come together. Unfortunately, and it's not entirely the players' fault, they are left behind.

COuld not agree more on Troy Brown. He clearly doesn't need preseason games to get ready. But putting him in there to give Matt someone other then our JAG recievers to throw too was huge. His back to back catches provided the momentum to get the second string offense going, it settled down Matt and got him thinking pass instead of run. The guy showed why he has consitently been the security blanket for this team.

I like that with Bam-Bam and Andrews they are trying to recreate the Troy Brown model of the all around football player. Instant depth right there.

Start with the offense. Ignoring the situational drive where we shuttled Brady and Cassel in and out - Brady has led 4 drives in the preseason and we have scored on all 4 - 3 FGs and 1 TD.

Does anyone still think Kevin Faulk is getting cut?

Our backs and TEs are both the best groups we have had.

TBC looked good - he was getting pressure consistently.

How about a little nod to the coaches. Cassel struggled last week confidence wise at the start. This week when he gets out there he is playing with Troy Brown. This was not a coincidence. Troy gets wide open as they know he will against reserves and Cassel gets some quick completions and gains confidence.

I thought the OL starters and reserves allowed too much pressure for my liking.

Andrews obviously has skills but a fumble and a drop is a bad game. I'm not saying cut him or anything like that but facts are facts.

dhamz said:
I thought the OL starters and reserves allowed too much pressure for my liking.

I don't know. I think the OL played decently, save for Gorin who sucks.

dhamz said:
Andrews obviously has skills but a fumble and a drop is a bad game. I'm not saying cut him or anything like that but facts are facts.

Andrews is our returner, so ...

I won't hold the drop against him.

Brady#12 said:
Asante is without a doubt going to be our #1 Cornerback. A lot of talk that Hobbs is, but he still has a ways to go. Samuel is really starting to turn it up and really is a play maker.
I think it was in a Curran article this morning reporting Arizona's Boldin had 'zero' receptions and Fitzgerald had one. I believe Boldin went against Hobbs and Fitzgerald was working against Samuel. Hobbs did get a holding call against him, but my impression from the review is he saved a big gainer by 'cheating' when he got beaten inside off the jam. He is lining up on the defensive left, which reportedly is the more challenging slot. I'm pleased with Samuel's play last night, but I came away with the impression that he was the CB they wanted to target.

Speaking of CBs, Hank Poteat getting nickelback reps on the first team! BB is giving him a chance to prove he can make the cut this year - love it! (I don't think he will with the talent depth at CB, but that kid is Patriot grade material when it comes to effort and toughness, I love his tackling.)

Box_O_Rocks said:
I think it was in a Curran article this morning reporting Arizona's Boldin had 'zero' receptions and Fitzgerald had one. I believe Boldin went against Hobbs and Fitzgerald was working against Samuel. Hobbs did get a holding call against him, but my impression from the review is he saved a big gainer by 'cheating' when he got beaten inside off the jam.

It's a pet peeve of mine that announcers never distinguish between stupid penalties away from the ball that negate a good play, and penalties for behavior that enabled the play to begin with. They say that the offense "got lucky" or "dodged a bullet" when an INT is called back for holding, when in fact it was the illegal holding that created the INT. (Seemed to me that was clearly the case on the Hobbs play.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes