PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's behind Harrison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Faith

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Okay, I always liked Tebucky and I'm cool with that if something unfortunate happens to our star safety. But Wilson, Guss? Am I the only one concerned with the depth here on the FS side of things?:cool:

Tyler Faith said:
Okay, I always liked Tebucky and I'm cool with that if something unfortunate happens to our star safety. But Wilson, Guss? Am I the only one concerned with the depth here on the FS side of things?:cool:

BB has always liked his versatile defensive backs and he has a number who can play safety besides Jones, Sanders, Gus and Artrell.

These would include Chad Scott, Warfield and Gay.

If the injury bug stays away our depth should be fine, but our top 2 are questionable until Rodney returns.

Don't forget Bubba...Ray Ventrone. And there is also KJackson. I agree that they have really lacked that 3rd safety for a few years. And finding a replacement..someone to groom has not been easy. Sanders may be the guy...but who knows at this point. A bit of worry of course, but someone will be found.

Pats726 said:
Don't forget Bubba...Ray Ventrone.

Bubba and Sanders are more Strong Safety Guys. In NFLE Ventrone's speciality was hard hits and caused fumbles. He is not a great guy in space. Sanders is another Strong Safety type that is more of a hitter and not really a great coverage guy.

I would expect to see them have the depth at free safety be part of the corner back depth, likely a veteran who might have lost a step. I.E. Warfield. That way the defense is not running naked without any free safeties being unable to cover.

I would guess, after everything shakes out, the 3rd S will end up being James Sanders or Tebucky Jones.

After that, the favorites (IMO) are:

Guss Scott (Can't stay healthy)
Artrell Hawkins (Versatility a plus)
Mel Mitchell (Gets the Je'Rod Cherry award as ST S who probably won't play a lot of regular defense)

Given that Harrison's status is still up in the air for the start of the season, yeah it is a little bit of a concern. It would be nice if they had a more proven commodity there.

Isn't Lance Shulters still available?

Tyler Faith said:

with Rodney out, there will be more shifting of the DB, but Hawkins gets first look, followed by Sanders would be my guess. Tebucky doesn't have the wherewithal to run the D and Mitchell and Ventrone aren't known quantities sufficient to plug in for Rodney. That's my take. Training camp and squad workouts will be the determining factors I reckon.

Nobody's behind Rodney, because he is a safety and as we all know the Cardinal rule for safties is that nobody gets behind you!

I have to go with Tebucky (us Orangemen, oops I'm sorry, I deeply apologize to any and all Ulmpa Lumpas that I have offended, us Orange, have to stick together). I can still see Tebucky flying throuhg the air into the head of one of the Rams recievers in SB XXXVI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyler Faith said:

The only thing behind Rodney is carnage!

Pray that Tebucky Jones does not have to play safety. He was so

lousy at New Orleans that the coach, Jim Haslett, was amazed that

a former #1 draft choice could tackle so badly. He also has not played

special teams since he left us.

Without Harrison, the Patriots have a lot of depth at defensive back but

all of them are no better than average players. Luckily, we have the

best coach in the business who will design schemes that will suit their

talents.

Jimke said:
Pray that Tebucky Jones does not have to play safety. He was so

lousy at New Orleans that the coach, Jim Haslett, was amazed that

a former #1 draft choice could tackle so badly.

101 tackles and 1 INT in 2004. That's not a bad season for someone who you consider "lousy".

Tyler Faith said:
101 tackles and 1 INT in 2004. That's not a bad season for someone who you consider "lousy".
Stats like those are deceiving because Tebucky Jones was horrible in coverage and usually had to run down and tackle the man after he caught the ball. Also he was used to stop running plays by coming up to the line of scrimmage. He's good at doing that like a LB but in coverage he's pretty terrible.

PATSNUTme said:
The only thing behind Rodney is carnage!

Yes!!! We just need a few to clean up after him!!!

Another way to look at this question.....Everyone's behind Rodney 'cause he's doing nothing but look ahead!!!:D

BB/SP gotta address the need for a 3rd safety

Pats726 said:
Don't forget Bubba...Ray Ventrone. And there is also KJackson. I agree that they have really lacked that 3rd safety for a few years. And finding a replacement..someone to groom has not been easy. Sanders may be the guy...but who knows at this point. A bit of worry of course, but someone will be found.
this has gotta be worked out. whoever said patriots like interchangeable safeties appears to be seeing the same thing i am. i heard BB once refer to it as "split sateties". that was in the preseason when it appeared we were gonna have rodney and lawyer out there at the same time.
the split safety setup helps our boys disguise coverages even more. i remember reading a quote from brady in the '05 TC saying he couldn't figure out the coverages in the defensive backfield.

what have they got, 8 safeties on the roster?

14thDragon said:
Bubba and Sanders are more Strong Safety Guys. In NFLE Ventrone's speciality was hard hits and caused fumbles. He is not a great guy in space. Sanders is another Strong Safety type that is more of a hitter and not really a great coverage guy.
I would expect to see them have the depth at free safety be part of the corner back depth, likely a veteran who might have lost a step. I.E. Warfield. That way the defense is not running naked without any free safeties being unable to cover.

but beyond rodney and wilson, the rest make me nervous. many are just too fragile to pop the runner for an entire game. tebucky was good enuf to start against the rams in SB XXXVI, and he had what looks to be a good year last year. but i don't think he can run the backfield. i don't know if buck can hit a ballcarier, wrap him up, and takedown. buck's more of a big hit guy. those hits usually knock people down, but...i don't like having him as the last line of defense.
he's a CT boy, tho, and i'm glad to see him home

SeanBruschi54 said:
Stats like those are deceiving because Tebucky Jones was horrible in coverage and usually had to run down and tackle the man after he caught the ball. Also he was used to stop running plays by coming up to the line of scrimmage. He's good at doing that like a LB but in coverage he's pretty terrible.

Not to mention, you can never trust tackle numbers in the NFL, period.

I say if Rodney's not ready to go, it's James Sanders. He's my pick to have a breakout season.

can he ply a whole season?

Richter said:
Not to mention, you can never trust tackle numbers in the NFL, period.
I say if Rodney's not ready to go, it's James Sanders. He's my pick to have a breakout season.
and can he run the defense? can wilson?
worst case, we'll have mediocre safety play for maybe 1/3 of the season. that'll be better than the cliffhanger stuff last year.

ilduce06410 said:
and can he run the defense? can wilson?
worst case, we'll have mediocre safety play for maybe 1/3 of the season. that'll be better than the cliffhanger stuff last year.

Bruschi will likely be making the calls, one way or the other. As for getting the secondary lined up properly, Wilson better be able to handle that by now. I think Sanders can play, and will see time on the field whether or not Rodney is active.

Harrison (if healthy)
Wilson
Sanders
Hawkins
Tebucky
Guss Scott

Bruschi can not make calls for the secondary from the LB spot. Not practical.

My best guess is that Harrison starts the season on the PUP. Hawkins has the first shot at the job, however if Sanders makes a leap in year two and shows that he knows the assignments, has physically matured and shows he can communicate effectively, he could win the job from Hawkins.
Wilson makes the calls, regardless of whether Ty is signed or not.

Tebucky is strictly a FS type. To play him at SS is miscasting him. Tebucky can not play defense with his back to the ball. Everything has to be in front of him for him to have any success.

I read a theory on last year's Patriots injury problems in the secondary. (I can't remember the author's name right now) But basically he said the Pats secondary was decimated last year because of the poor play of the ILBs. The safties had to clean up way too much and they were cleaning up against some rather big boys.
If he's correct then we could be in for another rough year of injuries unless the LB situation is resolved in TC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back