PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who'll have a better career? McCourty, Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
i say butler, not because i don't think McCourty, will be good i just think butler will be great.

the bad part is McCurty, will always be compared. to Jared Odrick, and Sergio Kindle, if dose guys go on to be impact players for there teams and if McCourty, is only a good nickel back the fans will not be happy with him

just like Laurence Maroney, he only had 800 yards and 9 TD's last year. he sucks but if maroney, was a 2th or 3rd round pick everyone would say he is a good player. thats the way we fans are if the first round picks are not all pro they suck

Go wilhite!!

I think Wilhite will surprise a lot of people this year. I've always liked him from a talent stand point. He has great hips and stays with his man very well, he just doesn't make plays on the ball at all. Revis was somewhat like that in his first year, always with his man but giving up catches b/c he always had his back to the ball.

Now I'm not saying Wilhite is the next Revis because that'd be crazy to say, but I think he's got the talent to be a very good #2 CB in this league and an excellent nickelback. He's my "sleeper" to have a breakout/vast improvement year for a guy that is flying way under the radar due to some tough stretches last year.

This is one of the best secondaries we have fielded in quite a while. Should be interesting to see how they progress. This is the most excited I have been in a while to watch this secondary go to work. I love Meriweather, Butler, Chung, and Wilhite. Not the biggest Bodden fan, but he was solid for us last year and wasn't the biggest McCourty fan during the draft but I'm sure he'll eventually grow on me.

I don't have a clue and I wouldn't be prepared to say anything until I see at least a full season of McCourty.

i say butler, not because i don't think McCourty, will be good i just think butler will be great.

the bad part is McCurty, will always be compared. to Jared Odrick, and Sergio Kindle, if dose guys go on to be impact players for there teams and if McCourty, is only a good nickel back the fans will not be happy with him

just like Laurence Maroney, he only had 800 yards and 9 TD's last year. he sucks but if maroney, was a 2th or 3rd round pick everyone would say he is a good player. thats the way we fans are if the first round picks are not all pro they suck

I don't think McCourty will be compared to Odrick and Kindle; 99% will forget they were even in the same draft class much less who was drafted first 24 months from now. McCourty will be compared to (a) Butler, because they play the same position for the same team and were drafted in consecutive years; and (b) Kyle Wilson, because the two play the same position for division rivals, were drafted two spots apart from each other, and were debated before (and after) the draft as to which one was better and should be taken first.

I don't think McCourty will be compared to Odrick and Kindle; 99% will forget they were even in the same draft class much less who was drafted first 24 months from now. McCourty will be compared to (a) Butler, because they play the same position for the same team and were drafted in consecutive years; and (b) Kyle Wilson, because the two play the same position for division rivals, were drafted two spots apart from each other, and were debated before (and after) the draft as to which one was better and should be taken first.

i get what your saying we should not compare apples to oranges but i think almost everyone on this bordy would say that DE and a pass rushing OLB was a much bigger need then CB if Jermaine Cunningham, turns out to be what im hopeing he will be a every down good OLB then it's ok

but if like i said Jared Odrick, turns into the next seymour, and Sergio Kindle, becomes the next great pass rusher OLB then if McCourty, is anything less then a all pro i think there will be a lot of people who will second guess the front office

but if like i said Jared Odrick, turns into the next seymour, and Sergio Kindle, becomes the next great pass rusher OLB then if McCourty, is anything less then a all pro i think there will be a lot of people who will second guess the front office

I agree that it seems more like we need a DE/OLB than a corner for a top draft pick but I'm sure Bill had good reasoning for picking a corner #1. We did get Cunningham in the 2nd which is in the next round so we didn't completley ignore it. I am kinda worried about Cunningham though, but I am going ro remain optimistic.

And you can't win with every draft pick. Also understand that Bill also wants to prepare the team for the future and maybe he has a definite plan for next year. We have 2 first round picks and and an extra second. If we really wanted to trade up and get Heyward or some elite player we could. Then the patriots possibly have a couple shut down corners and a talented D line in a couple years. Lets also hope that others such as Cunningham and Spikes prove to be good players.

As long as two of McCourty, Butler, Wilhite and Wheatley are quality starters, 2010 will be looked upon as the end of the re-building of the secondary. I don't have any strong feelings, but my guess is that McCourty will turn out better than Butler. He seems the better shutdown corner. However, for me, it doesn't really matter.

I expect Butler and McCourty to get plenty of playing time with Bodden. This could be the best threesome in the Belichick era. Wilhite is a #4 with starting experience. That's not bad at all for our dime back.

The question for 2010 is development. How far will each of the four kids develop in 2010? And yes, I include Wheatley. I see no reason for us not to keep him as our 5th corner, our 9th defensive back. He showed at least as much as Wilhite when he was healthy.

Personally, I think the secondary is biggest question mark on the team. It could be anywhere from OK to great. I do not mean to imply that the secondary is a weakness. I don't believe that. I think that we have a fine group. However, it may take time to develop. Our weakness is at OLB, even with redchipper Banta-Cain leading that unit.

As long as two of McCourty, Butler, Wilhite and Wheatley are quality starters, 2010 will be looked upon as the end of the re-building of the secondary. I don't have any strong feelings, but my guess is that McCourty will turn out better than Butler. He seems the better shutdown corner. However, for me, it doesn't really matter.

I expect Butler and McCourty to get plenty of playing time with Bodden. This could be the best threesome in the Belichick era. Wilhite is a #4 with starting experience. That's not bad at all for our dime back.

The question for 2010 is development. How far will each of the four kids develop in 2010? And yes, I include Wheatley. I see no reason for us not to keep him as our 5th corner, our 9th defensive back. He showed at least as much as Wilhite when he was healthy.

Personally, I think the secondary is biggest question mark on the team. It could be anywhere from OK to great. I do not mean to imply that the secondary is a weakness. I don't believe that. I think that we have a fine group. However, it may take time to develop. Our weakness is at OLB, even with redchipper Banta-Cain leading that unit.

In the last 2 years, Wheatley has suited up for 11 games, started 0, with 2 PDs. He has absolutely no body of work to speak up, because even when healthy he simply can't get on the field. How can you justify saying that he showed "at least as much as Wilhite when he was healthy"?

Last edited:
In the last 2 years, Wheatley has suited up for 11 games, started 0, with 2 PDs. He has absolutely no body of work to speak up, because even when healthy he simply can't get on the field. How can you justify saying that he showed "at least as much as Wilhite when he was healthy"?

Wheatley did start one game. He started the game against the Colts in 2008. Unfortunately, that was the game where he got injured.

My bottom line is that we have won with a lot worse that than Wilhite and Wheatley as our depth (#4 and #5 corners). Gone are the days of Moreland and Poteat.

My bottom line is that we have won with a lot worse that than Wilhite and Wheatley as our depth (#4 and #5 corners). Gone are the days of Moreland and Poteat.

To be fair, though, when the team was winning with Moreland and Poteat, it had excellent linebacking. The linebacking last season was pitiful.

IMO Within the next 3 years,Butler will be the 2nd best CB in the AFC East - Right behind Mr. Revis

Its Butler by a landslide IMO,I really don't know what to expect from Devin yet

Wheatley did start one game. He started the game against the Colts in 2008. Unfortunately, that was the game where he got injured.

Yeah, that's why I said in the last 2 years, although you're probably right that I should have just gone with his full career line. Either way, guys who can make it onto the field and play with any competence whatsoever are inherently showing more than the guys who can't make the gameday active roster.

You mean red-chipper Banta-Cain, solid veterans Woods and Burgess, superstar Thomas and JAG Ninkovich weren't good enough for you?

The outside linebacking should be much better in 2010 with potential DROY Cunningham replacing Thomas. After all, all the rest of the solid unit is back.

To be fair, though, when the team was winning with Moreland and Poteat, it had excellent linebacking. The linebacking last season was pitiful.

You mean red-chipper Banta-Cain, solid veterans Woods and Burgess, superstar Thomas and JAG Ninkovich weren't good enough for you?

The outside linebacking should be much better in 2010 with potential DROY Cunningham replacing Thomas. After all, all the rest of the solid unit is back.

What's the chance that Cunningham starts anyway? I haven't really heard much about whether he will or not.

You are correct.

I should not have suggested that Wheatley has shown himself to be as good as Wilhite.

However, I strongly believe that it is good idea to have a 5th corner who can actually play corner. This can be Wheatley or a JAG vet that we pick up in the next month.

Yeah, that's why I said in the last 2 years, although you're probably right that I should have just gone with his full career line. Either way, guys who can make it onto the field and play with any competence whatsoever are inherently showing more than the guys who can't make the gameday active roster.

I hate the repeated post of: "I won't have an opinion about rookie x until I see him play." Why even post? With regard to rookies all we have are predictions or projections, anyway.

/ran over

With all that said I think Butler is a playmaker who will at some point jump ship like Asante. Just my opinion of the guy through the internet and TV. I think he will have a better NFL career but McCourty will have a better Patriot career.

I hate the repeated post of: "I won't have an opinion about rookie x until I see him play." Why even post? With regard to rookies all we have are predictions or projections, anyway.

/ran over

With all that said I think Butler is a playmaker who will at some point jump ship like Asante. Just my opinion of the guy through the internet and TV. I think he will have a better NFL career but McCourty will have a better Patriot career.

+1......and the haughty assumption that we're all "breathlessly" waiting their opinion,once they do see them play:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes