Welcome to PatsFans.com

Wholesale Inflation Is Worst in 27 Years

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=5377424

Soaring costs for gasoline and food pushed inflation at the wholesale level up by a larger-than-expected amount in June, leaving inflation rising over the past year at the fastest pace in more than a quarter-century.

The Labor Department reported that wholesale prices jumped by 1.8 percent last month, the biggest one-month rise since last November. Over the past 12 months, wholesale prices are up 9.2 percent, the largest year-over-year surge since June 1981, another period when soaring energy costs were giving the country inflation pains.

Core inflation, which excludes energy and food, was better behaved in June, rising by just 0.2 percent, slightly lower than expectations.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +644 / 2 / -9

I'ts getting bad out there, I wish Congress would step in and try to do something (they're on vacation)
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

By including food and energy you're double dipping on bad news because we already know and talk about gas prices, etc. It's good that core inflation is reasonable - food and energy are not included as they tend to be volatile and big dips or rises can overshadow everything else.

So, year, we know gas is skyrocketing - thanks - and thanks for not drilling too, that will help I'm sure, - but core inflation is in check.
  4. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

We are a bunch of whiners.
    -food
    -gas
    -housing, fanny and freddie
    -environment
    -war
    -stock market
    -jobs
    -airline industry
    -automobile industry
    -cost of medicine

Everything's good, just a mental recession.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +644 / 2 / -9

If GW Bush waved a magic wand this afternoon and brought gas down to 57 cents a gal, created free health care, brought everybodys mortgage down to $63 dollars a month and then Found A Cure For Cancer this Democrat Congress would be against it and do their best to keep things right the way they are now.

The "Grinning Pelosi Gang" love whats going on now thats why they are silent and thats why they are "DOING NOTHING"

We would have oil flowing from Alaska today if it wasn't for these bastards.

:bricks:
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

It's absurd, and in my opinion nothing but an attempt by by the Fed to try and deceive the markets (which is not necessarily a bad idea). It's absurd because food and energy are two things we cannot do without. I could see not taking them into account on a month-by-month basis, but certainly on an annual or semi-annual basis they are completely relevant, and those prices are surely on the verge of putting pressure on other wholesale prices. Unless there's some sort of turnaround, I can't see the core inflation values remaining low for much longer, can you?
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

I guess it would make sense for core inflation to start moving up but I don't know, I'm not an economist. Regarding core inflation, it's not absurd. It might be absurd for some guy on the street to try to comprehend but as an economic measure it's not absurd as it knocks out highly volatile aspects of the economy. It's an example of "a little information is dangerous" and people who have no concept of economics are better off not using words like core inflation.
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +368 / 3 / -15

And we're not in a recession, right?:rolleyes:

It doesn't really matter much Patters. As long as oil prices remain high, ALL inflation WILL increase significantly. By reporting that inflation wasn't as bad as expected when you don't consider food and energy is a farce.

But even the "lower than expected" inflation must eventually "exceed expectations" at some point. costs can not be held down with the price of oil and with the money supply as great as it is.

Every time the fed subsidizes Fannie Mae or Suzie Mae:D, the money supply increases. When that happens, inflation ALWAYS follows.

We're in a damned if you do, and damned if you don't situation.
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Add to that the fact that Republicans have allowed deficit spending to soar, which reduces our options in trying to manage the economy. Bush helped get us out of the first recession by spending hundreds of billions on government programs (war), but now it becomes riskier and riskier to deficit spend. Whoever inherits this mess -- hopefully Obama -- is really going to have his hands full trying to solve the disaster the Republicans have left behind.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

And Democrats have refused for decades to drill our natural resources - if we had our own oil we wouldn't have this problem. Quit barking at the Republicans over EVERYTHING, there's more than enough blame to go around.
  11. FootballYouBet

FootballYouBet Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Buncha Whiners!!!!:D
  12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

The guvment (bi-partisan here) dictates that we burn our food and doesn't let us develop energy resources, and prices rise, what a shock. :rolleyes:
  13. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,112 / 8 / -7

#75 Jersey

I guess those things all took place during the six years he had with a Republican Congress?
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

I can only assume you're kidding as you have been lecturing us on the limits of small congressional majorities - the Republicans never had a filibuster proof majority and drilling (or lack thereof) is important enough to Dems to not get much movement off the party line.

Which President vetoed ANWR ??? I'm having trouble remembering now.
  15. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,112 / 8 / -7

#75 Jersey

QUIT IT.

Who FIRST signed the Executive Order against Offshore Oil Drilling in 1990??????

Whose BROTHER (as a Governor of Florida) has been opposing offshore oil drilling for years off his state's coast????????

Which Presidential candidate (before he flip-flopped a couple of weeks ago) was against offshore oil drilling

Get your facts straight and stop the partisan finger pointing over what is simply an INCOMPETENT President when it comes to economics.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

And who vetoed ANWR ? Look, I don't like Bush - for the 1,000th time.

However two facts are, in my mind, incontrovertible :

1) The Democrats hold up drilling our oil a lot more than Republicans do.
    2) The facts (price of oil) have changed dramatically since 1990.

Bush has, rightly, changed his stance on this - let's see if they can get it through Congress.
  17. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,112 / 8 / -7

#75 Jersey

My point EXACTLY! It's ridiculous to finger point at ANY Congress that is less than a 60% majority for either party while an opposing party's President is in office.

Thank you!
  18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't think it's a good argument, a truly good politician would be able to work across party lines to get things done. The only reason I brought it up was your lectures yesterday.
  19. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,112 / 8 / -7

#75 Jersey

Substitute "President" for "politician" and you'd have full agreement here.
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

I guess that's where we differ. It's not all the President. Again, I don't like Bush, I blame him for a lot. But it's time for Granny Pelosi to get off her anti drilling thing and get that passed while also moving on alternatives.