Welcome to PatsFans.com

Whoa!! What's this??? John Edwards revisited

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

UNbelievable. No wait... actually, VERY believable.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - Two homes, two images, one candidate.

Democrat John Edwards, who has made an anti-poverty message the theme of his 2008 presidential campaign, is taking heat for the lavish home he has constructed in Orange County, N.C.

In December, Edwards chose the modest backyard of a New Orleans woman who had lost her home to Hurricane Katrina as the image that best underscored his campaign theme.

Now voters are seeing another, sharply contrasting image of Edwards: his own home.

Sitting on 102 secluded acres — surrounded by trees and defended by no-trespassing signs — the 28,000-square-foot estate that Edwards and his family call home has presidential privacy.

A main home has five bedrooms and six-and-a-half baths. It's connected by a covered walkway to a bright red addition known as "The Barn," that includes its own living facilities along with a handball court, an indoor pool and an indoor basketball court with a stage at one end. Nearby, the family has cleared space for a soccer field.

With a current building value of $4.3 million, the unfinished Edwards estate is already about $1 million more expensive than any other house in the county, according to tax records. It sits on land worth about $1.1 million.

Edwards first purchased the land in 2004, during his failed run as vice president. He recently sold his mansion in Washington's tony Georgetown neighborhood for $5.2 million.

Edwards, a former trial lawyer who made millions before ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070207/ap_on_el_pr/edwards_house

2. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Noone cares. Edwards is a flake.

3. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Apparently so. On both counts.

//

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

John Edwards....

[​IMG]

5. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Real World, so you think girls who get their intestines sucked through their rear end via a defective jacuzzi tub drain shouldn't be represented with counsel?

Interesting... it shall be duly noted.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 3 / -10

During The Last Failed Election When Fonda Kerry Lost This Pretty Little Lawyer Edwards Had A Pimple On The Left Side Of His Face Near His Cute Little Lower Lip, "So What" You Ask?

Well That Pimple Would Come And Go, One Day It Would Be There The Next Day It Would Be Gone, What The Christ Kind Of A Pimple Was That, I have Never Seen Another Lawyer With A Pimple Like That.

Now Something Has Happened, The Pimple Is Gone, What Happened to it, It Never Shows Up Now, Did That Long Jawed Idiot Kerry Have Something To Do With The Edwards Pimple Coming And Going, Look Closely At Edwards Lower Lip, There Is No Pimple. It's Gone.

Where Is Pretty Boys Pimple?
    :bricks:

7. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Harry, these are important questions. Senator, where's your pimple? Did you use Bo Tox? Whats your favorite American Idol contestant? Do you prefer, whole, 1%, or 2% milk with your cereal?

This should be in every presidential debate. This is how "mainstream" america views politics.

:bricks:

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Sounds like your talking about an abortion. Aren't they legal? :D

9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +775 / 17 / -22

#24 Jersey

I'm not sure what the big deal is, you can be an advocate for the poor even if you're rich.

10. Fixit

Fixit In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +272 / 3 / -3

My post disappeared...

11. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Technically, that is only an abortion in Kansas.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Seriously though, everyone is entitled representation. I never said otherwise. I simply find those who prophet on these type of ambulance chaser cases as reprehensible, or at least, worthy of having their charactor questioned.

13. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

what cases are you referring to? I mentioned a case where her family should have sued. So, whats your problem?

I don't think he's preseidential material. But I won't go so far as to smear the mans character just to make cheap political points. I think he's a flake in terms of foreign policy, but good on domestic issues, and in another time, may be a decent candidate.

I want a Jim Webb, not a Jimmy Kimmel.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

You might not go so far, but I would. As a business manager I've come accross lots of scumbag profiteers. That's capitalism, and it's legal, but I don't subscribe to that. The ability to do something doesn't justify it from criticism. Making millions on a girls tragedy doesn't sit well with me. I'm sure he took the case in part because he stood to make millions on it. Does that mean he shouldn't represent her, or that she shouldn't be represented? Of course not. It just means that I think he's an ambulance chaser. I see their ads on TV everyday, "call me and I'll sue for you, and take 33%" :D . They have every right to do it, and the people in question have every right to the representation. Just like I have every right to look at that, and come away questioning one's charactor.

Really a fabulous article that's long, but details his lawyer life well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/31/p...d=1&ei=5070&en=a2e8643b5b5e09a8&ex=1171083600

Over time, Mr. Edwards became quite selective about cases. Liability had to be clear, his competitors and opponents say, and the potential award had to be large.

"He took only those cases that were catastrophic, that would really capture a jury's imagination," Mr. Wells, a defense lawyer, said. "He paints himself as a person who was serving the interests of the downtrodden, the widows and the little children. Actually, he was after the cases with the highest verdict potential. John would probably admit that on cross-examination."

The cerebral palsy cases fit that pattern. Mr. Edwards did accept the occasional case in which a baby died during delivery; The North Carolina Lawyers Weekly reported such cases as yielding settlements in the neighborhood of $500,000. But cases involving children who faced a lifetime of expensive care and emotional trauma could yield much more.

In 1985 he handled his first cerebral palsy case, for Jennifer Campbell, the girl whose voice he recreated at trial. In his book "Four Trials," Mr. Edwards described the case as an uphill battle. The doctor was esteemed and worked at a prestigious teaching hospital. Mr. Edwards's associate interviewed 41 obstetricians before finding one local doctor who would make a good witness.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

I'm really curious to see if he is indeed a man of principles capable of not succumbing to the party, or if he is more of the same.

16. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That's considered a "representative voice" in Edwards' playbook.

Sounds like dog-catcher material, imo.

//

17. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Good article. Every lawyer in medical malpractice wants to ensure the highest verdict potential, because they know what they are up against. Doctors have a bevy of lawyers on their side... and the wealth to pay for them.

I give him more credit after reading that than I did before. That doesn't sound like an ambulance chaser to me, and that certainly wouldn't fit into the 2004 GOP character definition of him as an ambulance chaser as far as Im concerned.

But thats what the GOP does...they define their opposition before their opposition can define themselves. In this case, they made him out to be a sleazy ambulance chaser and that apparently still holds true with you.

OTOH, everything else that he has done with his life suggests devotion to public service and that he does alot for the poor and underprivelidged children in society.

18. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +443 / 11 / -14

Of course this orgy of litigation and malpractice insurance has nothing to do with the soaring cost of healthcare.

19. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No connection WHATsoever. It's shocking that you would even bring it up!!

Didn't you see Edwards posing with the poorest people in America for his campaign. They probably spend all their weekends at his new digs.

:rolleyes:

20. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

What is your solution? I'll be waiting with baited breath. ;)

I happen to know that one big reason why costs of healthcare have gone up is because the government has not used its leverage to negotiate lower prices for prescription drugs. So, in addition to doing just that, I would allow generics to come in from overseas, esp Canada. I would also focus on education and preventative programs, both of which have been cut under the Republican orgy with pharmaceutical lobbyists.

I'm sure you have some good ideas too.

And what about the fundie? I guess it isn't a very Christian thing to represent families of kids who are disemboweled by defective hot tubs.