PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who would you move up to get in the first round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Me? That's easy. The Patriots haven't coveted a player like this, one that was within reach, since Fitzgerald was coming out of University of Pittsburgh. Remember how valuable he is for the Cards.

A real thumper at middle linebacker who will inspire fear in opposing offenses, something we've lost with the demise of Harrison, the aging of the slow linebacker corps, and the injury bug hampering Richard Seymour seemingly on an almost permanent basis.

We need a playmaker at defense. Stop the run. Rey Maualuga, learn to spell it, fellas, can play better than his former teammate Keith Rivers who was taken #6 I believe last year.

It's predicted he'll go 15-20 on the pointless mock drafts. If that holds true, we may have to give up one of our second-rounders to move up from our current position at #23.

That's unless there's a pass rushing demon that they're also high on that can come off the edge to wreck havoc. I don't know about that.

I'm normally against moving up, just letting the players fall to us. I never liked what we did to nab Daniel Graham, for instance. If we had waited, Chris Baker, whom we just got, was there for us in later rounds.

But this Maualuga kid looks like a difference maker, a Troy Polumaulu or whatever Pittsburgh has. We need a stud in the middle. Mayo is more a tackling machine.

This Patriots run began with a big hit by Bryan Cox in 2001. Remember that? We need another Cox in the middle. That didn't sound good.

When I read the title of the thread I was thinking the same thing.

If early free agency is indicating anything to me, it looks like Belichick is going to use his cap room to add veteran, starting caliber players to the secondary, and to extend some of the cornerstones before they become free agents. This leaves the draft to complete the re-building of the LB corps.

I expect to see #34 traded up into the first round, and the Pats taking both an ILB and an OLB. I want to see 2 from the group of Maualuga, Cushing, Matthews and Barwin. I'd prefer Maualuga and Barwin.

Maualuga scares me for some reason. Doesn't seem smart, but maybe it doesn't matter all that much in the middle. I wish he hadn't gotten hurt at the combine. I was very disappointed in his bench press and don't recall seeing him taking on OLs all that often.

I'm up for being convinced, though. I just think the Pats will be more conservative than we think, and it will work out better than we think (like with what I thought was a so-so pick in Mayo. Yeah, I'll admit it). :ugh:

yes, i believe with the 23 and 34 we will get two starters. EIther an ILB, OLB, SF, CB, prob not a corner as their arent many with round one value (im not positive but hear there is a really good kid from utah), we will use the large number of picks we have as flexability to move up and get the exact guys that we want.

Last edited:
Yeah I also was thinking use a 2nd to move up for Maualuga.. I was against the whole Peppers for Cassel swap when I thought Cassel would net us a mid first plus.. but since it was "just" a 2nd I would have no problems with this scenario - our 1st and a second to get Maualuga, a second to trade for Peppers (he is worth no more than that in my eyes so if Carolina wont then no I wouldnt ditch our 1st) leaving us with a 2nd for a CB or Safety we like.. LB core of Peppers and Thomas outside, Maualuga and Mayo inside (make your own M&M reference for the next so many years haha) with Guyton , TBC, Woods, Bruschi Crable to fill out the depth.. I would be more than happy with that LB core going into the year haha

Maualuga was the one I was thinking of also.

His Seniorbowl and less than impressive combine has me a little leary, but it'll more than likely cause him to fall close enough to us to concider the move up.

If they can focus on the secondary in FA (Bodden and Sean Jones) it would be great to get him and maybe Barwin in the second.

I'm intrigued by the Peppers possibilities...but realisticly can't see it ever happening......

I tend to lean the other way and think we sit pat and let the pick come to us.. Very deep draft where we can sit back and have our pickings. Luckily its deep in OL, LB and DB.. All 3 areas we need help in..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes