PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who would you compare Mayo to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, living in NYC, I only get to see my beloved Pats several times a year. I messed up DVR'ing the game last week against the Jets (very upset about that). Anyway, I got to see Mayo play a litle bit on the nationally broadcasted exhibition game, but haven't seen him yet in the regular season. Since most of you guys have seen him in the first two games, what would you say his playing style is like, does he remind you of any current player, former player, former PatrIot ? Any insight would be appreciated. I'm hoping he becomes a defensive force, maybe a Ray Lewis type (whom I hate, but is a great player), though I'd settle for a Tedy Bruschi type (my favorite player).

He plays like a young Jerod Mayo.

He plays like a young Jerod Mayo.

You know, that's no joke. Some rookies you watch and get flashbacks -- "hey, didn't he remind you of XX right there?" But not Mayo, for me anyway.

His game is similar to James Farrior of the Steelers.

His game is similar to James Farrior of the Steelers.

Ah, interesting, hadn't thought of Farrior. Didn't Parcells pick him in just about the same draft spot where Mayo was taken?

I can't think of any names of who Mayo reminds me of off hand. But the one word I would use to describe his game is "fluid". For a rookie he almost seems to just glide around on that field. No doubt in my mind he is gonna be the real deal.

Ah, interesting, hadn't thought of Farrior. Didn't Parcells pick him in just about the same draft spot where Mayo was taken?

Yup. It looks like Mayo is developing faster than Farrior did. Knock on wood.

Clayton Wieson

I can't think of any names of who Mayo reminds me of off hand. But the one word I would use to describe his game is "fluid". For a rookie he almost seems to just glide around on that field. No doubt in my mind he is gonna be the real deal.

I think that is well-put. He seems more smooth than powerful to me.

I would compare Mayo to Miracle Whip. I prefer mayo over Miracle Whip, but mustard is generally my condiment of choice.

Eh, he's stronger than Wilson and Bullock.

I'd say he's like DJ Williams, or a weaker Ray Lewis.

I would compare Mayo to Miracle Whip. I prefer mayo over Miracle Whip, but mustard is generally my condiment of choice.

I lean more towards Ketchup myself because I find it hard to choose between French's and Gulden's mustards, I feel it depends on the meat being slathered with it as to which is the better mustard. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Geez, half of the responses in the 2 pages so far have been about sandwich condiments, lol. Now I'm getting hungry....

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember a few days before the draft a poster here posted Mayo's picture in a thread predicting the draft. Who was that? He or she deserved credit for that one.

Reminds me of a stronger Vilma.

^^ Stronger Vilma is a great comparison

If you took all the bling and flair and sh!t talking away from Ray Lewis....he'd be a young Jerod Mayo. He's solid and is in on almost every play.

Superman

10 characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes