PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Would Likely Help Us Most in 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I beleive the day of the TJ runstuffer ILB is dead and gone. You need blitzing, and pass coverage as wel as overall size and tackling ability in an ILB these days. Sintim or Lauranitis and I still like Lauranitis because BB always wants to hit with his First Rounders. He experiments with other picks. Lauranitis is a safe, First Round value pick, at a spot of need.

Despite his naysayers here.
Safe for what? Florida RBs?

A lot of times, rookie OL are able to come in and start from day 1.

Eben Britton for example could be available at 23 or 34, and he certainly has the look of a New England Patriots OL. all he needs is a beard and a mullet

Yes, we were discussing on *one* of the Barwin threads but id be tempted to throw in #89 and move up to #20 odd to go for Britton or Oher if he slips. His wonderlic marked him out as a possible Patript type

1) I believe that Laurinitis has the best chance at doing well at ILB in 2009 (and likely beyond). I do not advocate him because he is safe.

2) I do not believe that belichick needs to play safe with our first round. Personally, other than the fact that the contract is a year longer, I'm just as happy finding a top player (probably more happy) hitting with a second or third rounder. Why wouldn't be happy if we drafted future pro-bowlers Wood, Vaughn, and Brinkley, even we busted on our #23 and #34. It is important to find future starters, and pro-bowlers. It is NOT important that we find them on the first round. The first round has been critical because there are usually few other opportunties to get top players. In any draft, it is more likely on a prospective basis to find a starter in the first round than in later rounds.

I beleive the day of the TJ runstuffer ILB is dead and gone. You need blitzing, and pass coverage as wel as overall size and tackling ability in an ILB these days. Sintim or Lauranitis and I still like Lauranitis because BB always wants to hit with his First Rounders. He experiments with other picks. Lauranitis is a safe, First Round value pick, at a spot of need.

Despite his naysayers here.

OLB - potential for a situation pass rusher to make an impact here.
ILB - potential here to break the lineup with Bruschi aging fast, unless Guyton steps up.

This is one of the reasons I like Matthews. Clay can play ILB or OLB where a DE conversion would mainly fit as a OLB. The depth at ILB isn't great so I'm guessing BB will pick the guy that gives them that ability to play either such as Matthews, Cushing, or Sintim. Bruschi's almost certain retirement this year will leave a big hole at ILB next year.

This is one of the reasons I like Matthews. Clay can play ILB or OLB where a DE conversion would mainly fit as a OLB. The depth at ILB isn't great so I'm guessing BB will pick the guy that gives them that ability to play either such as Matthews, Cushing, or Sintim. Bruschi's almost certain retirement this year will leave a big hole at ILB next year.
This presumes the only value for ILB is Day One, an ongoing point of contention I've had with the Laurinaitis/Maualuga supporters. I've considered Sintim for SILB, and do feel he'd be best there, but I think the better "Patriot" options for ILB in this draft are to be found Day Two. Matthews and Cushing with their first round projections are overpriced for their value to NE.

If his Wonderlic score is 15 I don't see him inht emiddle of a bb 3-4.

Neither do I any longer... There are some positions that you need smarts. QB, ILB, Safety, OL, WR and there are others where it doesn't matter as much, like Defensive line.

I was disapointed to hear these guys Mauluga and Delmas are as smart as a stump post.

Jason Taylor isn't in the draft, Curry and Monroe won't be availiale outside the Top 6 and BB ain't moving into that salary range...

My bad, I meant Curry, Monroe and OT Jason Smith, Baylor.....

And I am well aware we wouldn't trade into a top 5 pick.... I was obviously being silly...... or wouldn't we? :cool:

I think someone like Michael Oher OT or Rey Maulauga ILB would help most but probably neither of them would be available when we pick unless we trade up. It would be interesting to see what Brady's numbers would be like in 2007 if he had a better RT. Brady probably would of smashed Peyton's record :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes