PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who would file amicus briefs on NFL's behalf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it looks as though they will need a lot of "friends of the court" from beyond. Can we channel Dionne Warwick to channel these tyrants? I think she is still alive.

p.s. you guys missed Lenin and Marx. Here are some of their quotes. These are awesome.

Lenin: A lie told often enough becomes the truth.

Marx: Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

it wouldn't be an amicus brief since the NFL is already a party to the case. it has to be from a third party with some sort of interest in the matter.
Right but they don't represent the NFL in this matter. They would have to show a compelling interest, say how it would disrupt collective bargaining in other leagues that they do represent NHL, MLB... It's a stretch but the question would be who might file for the league and I was grasping....

Right but they don't represent the NFL in this matter. They would have to show a compelling interest, say how it would disrupt collective bargaining in other leagues that they do represent NHL, MLB... It's a stretch but the question would be who might file for the league and I was grasping....

the nba, mlb or nhl could....

I believe the time to file an amicus brief has expired.

it wouldn't be an amicus brief since the NFL is already a party to the case. it has to be from a third party with some sort of interest in the matter.
I agree with the above statement but have been thinking......

1) The league is not allowed to file a response to the en banc request UNLESS the court asks for one. They essentially can't do a darn thing except lobby for amicus briefs like Olson did

2) I believe this includes all teams. In other words, as mentioned above, the Ravens, Colts, etc, can't file amicus briefs because they are a party to the case

3) Notwithstanding point 2 above, one NFL team *did* file an amicus brief. That team is the New England Patriots. As we all know, we had the unique situation of a party to the case filing an amicus brief in support of the other side. I am surprised it was allowed.

The only party that might be helpful to the NFL's cause would be an Arbiter of Feinberg's stature, who would be willing to say that it's cool for an Arbiter to dispense his/her own brand of industrial justice. The Arbiter would have to be paid a lot to write such a brief because they would never get another case.

I don't think a law firm that stands to gain financially from filing a brief friendly to deep pocketed organizations would be very credible.

I'm sure the NFL could get half a dozen CEO's of large corporations to file briefs on the League's behalf, but that would work against the NFL, I think.

In all the excitement over Feinber's filing, it kind of fell through the cracks that the AFL-CIO had also filed a brief for Brady. If the NFLPA could get the UFT to join the AFL-CIO's brief, it would be useful.

It would also be very interesting if the Unions could pressure the TIAA (Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association...used to be TIAA--CREF) and other public employee pension fund managers, representing trillions of dollars of invested retirement funds, to join the brief. You would then have a combination of Big Labor and Big Money expressing concern over the implications of this ruling.

obama-flip

I believe the time to file an amicus brief has expired.
You know, since the appeal was filed by the suspended party, the CA2 may not allow amicus briefs on NFL's behalf, only asking for the NFL to reply to amicus briefs and appeal filed by the supporters and the NFLPA/TB. But I don't know the law. We shall see.

You know, since the appeal was filed by the suspended party, the CA2 may not allow amicus briefs on NFL's behalf, only asking for the NFL to reply to amicus briefs and appeal filed by the supporters and the NFLPA/TB. But I don't know the law. We shall see.
Amicus briefs can be filed by anyone in support of either side.

Wallach has strongly implied (though not directly stated) that if CA2 orders the NFL to reply to the NFLPA's petition for en banc review that opens the door for amici to be filed for/against the NFL's brief asking for denial of en banc review.

I'm sure the NFL could get half a dozen CEO's of large corporations to file briefs on the League's behalf, but that would work against the NFL, I think.

The thing is, contracts that route disputes toward arbitration and away from the legal system are enormously popular with large corporations today. Feinberg's suggestion that the current decision could undermine the entire arbitration enterprise may alarm those who don't run their "arbitration hearings" like frontier justice.

Bob Kraft could file one, just to cover all of his bases.

Bill Nye the scienceless guy.

Chris Mortensen could file a Distort Report.

Don Shula will file one just in case the Pats and Brady go undefeated.

Marshal Faulk could file one if he can get someone to write it for him.

Felger and Mazz?

Greg Doyel?

Bob Kravitz?

Felger and Mazz?

Greg Doyel?

Bob Kravitz?
You forgot Tomass and Matt Walsh

Felger and Mazz?

Greg Doyel?

Bob Kravitz?

I really think the Boston media is unique in their desire to piss off the fans and rip local teams. They are real @ssholes.

Interesting development as seen in this thread. Basically, if the NHL were to file an amicus in support of the NFL, there 's a good chance it would cause them to lose the lawsuit they just filed against a neutral arbitrator.

Alan Millstein: Brady's chances of en banc hearing dramatically improved with latest amicus filings

Starts with post 185 (if someone knows how to link so it goes directly to that post, that would be appreciated).

[mod edit: click on "#185" and then copy and paste link]:

Alan Millstein: Brady's chances of en banc hearing dramatically improved with latest amicus filings

[HoT edit: Thanks Maude!]

Last edited:
I really think the Boston media is unique in their desire to piss off the fans and rip local teams. They are real @ssholes.
Philly runs a close second. As Phillies slugger Mike Schmidt said, " Only in Philly can you have the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it in the papers the next day."

For those under the age of 45 who may not get the reference, it's from here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes