PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who would be DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If Mangini does indeed leave, who would take over as DC?

Pepper? Pees?

God I hope he doesn't leave. 2 DCs gone in 2 years?!

WHy would he?? Go to a disaster with a poor FO??? He would be another Carroll..Kotite..and really NOT have a shot again..and what is scary is who he may take with HIM!!

Pats726 said:
WHy would he?? Go to a disaster with a poor FO??? He would be another Carroll..Kotite..and really NOT have a shot again..and what is scary is who he may take with HIM!!
There are only so many HC jobs and if offered you have to stongly consider it.

My guess for DC in order...Rob Ryan,Pees,Dom Capers

I think Pepper has to be considered in that mix as well.

Remember that the Pats look for someone who know's the system and terminology as opposed to bringing someone in and starting from scratch.

Boomer Esiason called the Jets job the worst in sports, so let's hope Mangini thinks so, too!

I think if Mangini left we would have an offensive coordinator next year, and BB would be the DC, training an assistant for a year.

I don't think Mangini is leaving. BB is doing him a favor by letting him interview so he can get some practice at it. IMO Mangini knows that in a few years he can write his ticket as to where he wants to coach if he stays with BB and they continue to have the success they have had. If he goes to the Jets, they will suck for 3-4 years, fire Mangini just as soon as they come out of salary cap hell and everybody will blame it on Mangini and he wont sniff another job for years to come.

Willie55 said:
I don't think Mangini is leaving. BB is doing him a favor by letting him interview so he can get some practice at it. IMO Mangini knows that in a few years he can write his ticket as to where he wants to coach if he stays with BB and they continue to have the success they have had. If he goes to the Jets, they will suck for 3-4 years, fire Mangini just as soon as they come out of salary cap hell and everybody will blame it on Mangini and he wont sniff another job for years to come.

Well, Mangini may get other offers this year too.
Secondly, I always hesitate to think any assistant wouldnt take a job because of the state of the team.
Top flight coaches are born leaders, and born winners. One of the qualities they possess is believing in themsleves, and that they will never fail.

I think that it is very wrong to think that Eric Mangini looks at the Jets and concludes they would suck with HIM as the HC.

I think he may be swayed by how much would be out of his control. I dont think for a second that Eric Mangini will factor the possiblity of failing into his decision.

AndyJohnson said:
I think that it is very wrong to think that Eric Mangini looks at the Jets and concludes they would suck with HIM as the HC.

I think he may be swayed by how much would be out of his control. I dont think for a second that Eric Mangini will factor the possiblity of failing into his decision.

Agreed...an apparent lack of talent on the roster shouldn't be enough to scare a coach away -- BB had plenty of housecleaning to do here. But systemic, organizational problems beyond your control are a different story. (Suppose Mangini were offered the Saints job?) From an outsider's perspective the Jets' problems do look systemic.

AndyJohnson said:
Secondly, I always hesitate to think any assistant wouldnt take a job because of the state of the team.
Top flight coaches are born leaders, and born winners. One of the qualities they possess is believing in themsleves, and that they will never fail.

Top flight coaches also recognize the reality of the situation that the talent stinks and they are way over the salary cap. I think if he already had a resume as an established head coach, (ie Parcells when he came to New England), he would take it in a heart beat. But Mangini has only one year as a coordinator under his belt and in a league of what have you done for me lately that's not much.

KDPpatsfan said:
There are only so many HC jobs and if offered you have to stongly consider it.

My guess for DC in order...Rob Ryan,Pees,Dom Capers

I know, it's only a 32 team league and this year there are only....................
10 vacancies so far this year. :rolleyes:

In Patriot Reign BB tells Ryan he always has a home in New England. But lets face it, its BB's defense.

Willie55 said:
Top flight coaches also recognize the reality of the situation that the talent stinks and they are way over the salary cap. I think if he already had a resume as an established head coach, (ie Parcells when he came to New England), he would take it in a heart beat. But Mangini has only one year as a coordinator under his belt and in a league of what have you done for me lately that's not much.

I am just saying that the factors in Eric Mangini's decison will not include the possibilty of failing. They surely may include the roadblocks to success.

Look at it this way. When BB got here, there was less talent on this team than any in the NFL, and we had cap problems too. Look what happened. Mangini wont shrink from the challenge. He may however, choose to only work for an orginzation that knows what its doing, because the Jets would screw up what he is trying to do, with incompetence in key support areas, like GM, personell evaluators, etc.

AndyJohnson said:

Andy - Just remember that one of the big reasons for BB's success with the Patriots is that he gets to "buy the groceries." Pioli does the shopping for BB, but BB is the one who provided specific instructions for the list.

I think that Mangini would be hard-pressed to get the same sort of interaction with Bradway (guy is too egotistical). Mangini could find it with another GM, though I don't know if Marv Levy would be an that sort of GM. There aren't many other jobs out there as the Chiefs, Vikings and Packers have already filled their positions. The Raiders are a situation that in truly untenable for any coach (IMHO). That only leaves the Texans, Saints, Rams, and Lions. Matt Millen isn't someone who is smart enough to admit what he doesn't know. The Rams and Saints could be very good situations, though. And I wouldn't mind seeing Mangini in the NFC.

AndyJohnson said:

I disagree. BB will counsel him from experience that sometimes being in a rush to get out from under your mentor is akin to shooting yourself in the foot. He learned the hard way that being a HC is about a lot more than X's and O's prowess. And if you don't know any better you canand likely will be set up as the ultimate fall guy if things don't work out. Fear of failure is the motivator that drives some of the most successful people in the world - including our incredible QB. It's also what led BB out of NY/NJ and into NE.

After Cleveland, BB had to go crawling back to papa with his tail between his legs, (as Rob Ryan may end up doing) and almost had to settle for spending the rest of his career in his mentor's ample shadow. If Bob Kraft hadn't decided to follow his gut BB might never have gotten another shot at HC (except as the puppetmasters tool in the Meadowlands) because of the undeserved rep the Cleveland experience smeared on him. Which is why BB will likely advise his young DC to be patient and wait for a situation where he isn't so obviously placing himself in a position to fail but rather one where he is reasonably well poised to succeed.

If I were Mangini I wouldn't go to MY unless Bradway was out he isn't a good GM. Woody J isn't a very good owner either. After living through the dreadful Pats owners over the years before Kraft I can really appreciate how big a difference ownership makes.

If EM leaves I'd like to see P Johnson get a shot.

patchick said:
Agreed...an apparent lack of talent on the roster shouldn't be enough to scare a coach away -- BB had plenty of housecleaning to do here. But systemic, organizational problems beyond your control are a different story. (Suppose Mangini were offered the Saints job?) From an outsider's perspective the Jets' problems do look systemic.

I'm not defending the Jets, but I think you used the correct words, "apparent lack of talent". The Jets have plenty of talent, they just went through a year of horrendous injuries. Not the least of which is the loss of their first TWO QB's. Imagine if we had to go through a season with Matt Cassel as our QB, especially early in the season with our offensive injuries, which Brooks Bollinger had to deal with, 2 O-Linemen going down for the season (like us) and Curtis Martin being hurt (as we misssed Faulk & Dillon). It wouldn't have been pretty, no offense to Cassel. Add our defensive injuries and our need to score a lot early in the season, and no doubt we would have been near the 4-12 neiborhood too. If we lose Mangini (I hope not), He would have a pretty good defense to work with, and and possibly someone like Matt Linehart as his QB. The Jets will be much better next year, they can't get much worse.

As far as our DC, I would like to someone like Pepper get it. Always been a Pepper fan, and I'd like to see what he can do, obviously with BB's input.

MoLewisrocks said:
I disagree. BB will counsel him from experience that sometimes being in a rush to get out from under your mentor is akin to shooting yourself in the foot. He learned the hard way that being a HC is about a lot more than X's and O's prowess. And if you don't know any better you canand likely will be set up as the ultimate fall guy if things don't work out. Fear of failure is the motivator that drives some of the most successful people in the world - including our incredible QB. It's also what led BB out of NY/NJ and into NE.

After Cleveland, BB had to go crawling back to papa with his tail between his legs, (as Rob Ryan may end up doing) and almost had to settle for spending the rest of his career in his mentor's ample shadow. If Bob Kraft hadn't decided to follow his gut BB might never have gotten another shot at HC (except as the puppetmasters tool in the Meadowlands) because of the undeserved rep the Cleveland experience smeared on him. Which is why BB will likely advise his young DC to be patient and wait for a situation where he isn't so obviously placing himself in a position to fail but rather one where he is reasonably well poised to succeed.

Didn't Parcells retire from the Giants after the 1990 season and BB went on to coach the Browns in 1991 after being passed over for the Giants job in favor of Ray Handley? BB may very well have stayed on as the DC under Parcells if Parcells had not retired.

If we EM were to leave, I'd be rooting for Pepper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back