PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will the Pats franchise???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Just curious as to who people think might be franchised?? AdamV again?? Just do NOT think they will do that again...they MAY have a deal all set once the CBA is set...Givens?? NO...not at all..I do NOT think they will franchise anyone...thoughts??

Hope to hell it's not Adam. He's freakin' holding the team hostage.

Out of our existing FAs... Neal, Givens, et al... I don't think ANYBODY should be franchised. Next year is a different story; if a deal doesn't get done beforehand, I think they'll franchise #93.

Probably no-one. Maybe Adam, maybe Givens. Actually, I take it back, I think we'll Franchise Adam if we can't get a long term deal done. Not saying what I would do but what I think will happen.

while I'd like to keep everyone, franchising any of our free agents would throw the cap way out of balance. Thus we see the dark side of the cap for the team interests...

Brady'sButtBoy said:
while I'd like to keep everyone, franchising any of our free agents would throw the cap way out of balance. Thus we see the dark side of the cap for the team interests...
I just don't see us letting Adam walk, though, if we don't get a deal done. And bumping him up 20% to about $3M, while overpaying, isn't exactly throwing the cap out of balance.

I fully expect they will quietly announce AV franchised on Thursday unless they have a deal in place. And I doubt they do because they would likely want a 5 year deal just for the amortization flexibility.

He was franchised last year and we all lived and neither he not BB seemed the least bit phased about it. The cap is going up $10-12M or more this season and Adam will cost another half a million. Our current punter earns much better than average $$$ and our long snapper is the highest paid in the league. Go figure.

If you're going to use the tag, use it on a position that generates a lot of points, and/or requires no roster backup, and/or is at the lower end of the NFL pay scale relatively speaking. Kicker fits the bill, particularly since really good ones who can consistently kick in the elements aren't all that easy to find.

I think if the CBA was complete...AV would have a deal...so unless that is done..THAT MAY be a possibility...but maybe they won't franchise anyone..I could see AV though more than anyone..

Not for one New York second will the management team of Bob & J. Kraft, Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli allow Adam Vinitieri to hit the open market. Count on it.

Pats726 said:
I think if the CBA was complete...AV would have a deal...so unless that is done..THAT MAY be a possibility...but maybe they won't franchise anyone..I could see AV though more than anyone..
Yeah, that was my thinking. I'm guessing nobody gets the F-Tag, except maybe Vinitieri as a stop-gap measure only.. to hold him off in hopes of a new CBA.

MoLewisrocks said:
I fully expect they will quietly announce AV franchised on Thursday unless they have a deal in place. And I doubt they do because they would likely want a 5 year deal just for the amortization flexibility.

He was franchised last year and we all lived and neither he not BB seemed the least bit phased about it. The cap is going up $10-12M or more this season and Adam will cost another half a million. Our current punter earns much better than average $$$ and our long snapper is the highest paid in the league. Go figure.

If you're going to use the tag, use it on a position that generates a lot of points, and/or requires no roster backup, and/or is at the lower end of the NFL pay scale relatively speaking. Kicker fits the bill, particularly since really good ones who can consistently kick in the elements aren't all that easy to find.

Mo is right, it would not make sense to franchise Givens, too expensive. There is nobody else this year that we should franchise, Stephen Neal? No way, his deal should and will get done as long as some other team doesn't come along and overpay for him.
I see no reason not to use it on AV until deal is in place. Just as it would have been last year, had his agent not been suspended. AV will spend his entire career as a NEP, as he should and proudly enter the HOF with many SB rings.

It may be that the Pats would push to close a deal that can only be amortized over four years so they can keep AV's bonus down a bit as he 'ages'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back