Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who will start across Amendola week 1?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by patsinthesnow, Jun 24, 2013.

?

Which WR will start next to Amendola week 1?

1. Aaron Dobson

24 vote(s)
    35.8%
  2. Michael Jenkins

14 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. Josh Boyce

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Donald Jones

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Kenbrell Thompkins

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Lavelle Hawkins

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. Julian Edelman

14 vote(s)
    20.9%
  8. Other

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Simple question. As much as I want it to be Dobson, I don't see it happening. Can't see him being ready unless he has a great training camp.

My gut says Michael Jenkins starts across Amendola week 1 as the journeyman veteran.
  2. Ivan

Ivan Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -4

I think it will be D. Jones and Dobson at WR with Amendola in the slot and Ballard at TE. Unless Edelman has a great camp and can win a starting job I expect this to be their base offense until Gronk returns.
  3. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I second the Donald Jones pick. I expect him to be be pretty productive with an actual NFL QB throwing to him.
  4. Archeryaddict12

Archeryaddict12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Jenkins or jones. I think we see Dobson come in on limited roles unless he explodes in TC.
  5. dales804

dales804 Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

Disable Jersey

I voted for Dobson. More of a hope that he gets into the playbook and has a good camp that solidifies him as the other WR (or one of the others in a 3 WR package).
  6. BlueThunder

BlueThunder Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

I voted Jones..that made 2 votes for Jonesy :D
  7. fnordcircle

fnordcircle tfw not enough helmets PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 2 / -4

Jenkins and Edelman with Amendola in the slot.

Jenkins will lose snaps to Jones, Dobson or Boyce within 4 weeks, though. I think Jones and Edelman both have more versatility than Jenkins and that will earn them their playing time.

I'm really not sure what to think of Dobson yet, all we've heard is mediocre reports but it is so early it's impossible to gauge this stuff.
  8. Sticky Caulk

Sticky Caulk PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#63 Jersey

I think Jones will be the primary target outside with Jenkins. Edelman will have a big part to play as long as he stays health.
  9. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

well here is the misleading part about the title. the assumption is that amendola lines up on the outside, but what if he lines up in the slot? i think edelman will end up one of our starters before all is said and done. i know amendola will be another starter, but who is our 3rd guy? Hopefully Dobson steps up and becomes that guy.
  10. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Hopefully not Jenkins or Jones, 'cause that'd be embarrassing.
  11. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

The title assumes Amendola will be healthy and starting on week one. That's another potential issue, right there.
  12. fnordcircle

Ratings:
    +13 / 2 / -4

In 2001: "Hopefully not David Patten, 'cause that'd be embarrassing."
  13. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I mean, being unperturbed at the thought of throwing scrubs out there at wideout is certainly your prerogative.
  14. Archeryaddict12

Archeryaddict12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think it really matters who starts, as long as the O keeps clicking by moving the ball, scoring and eating up clock. At the end of the day, as long as we get a W each week, does it matter who starts?
  15. fnordcircle

Ratings:
    +13 / 2 / -4

Maybe I was too subtle but my point was that Patten ended up being a much bigger contributor for us than he was for his previous teams. He was as much of a 'scrub' when we signed him as Donald Jones and Jenkins are now - maybe even moreso as a receiver.

That's why I think labeling these guys 'scrubs' and saying it will be embarrassing if they play for us is extremely premature.
  16. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I actually like Donald Jones...think he could be a decent player for us.

That said, I'd much rather see Boyce or Dobson out there on opening day.
  17. JarOfMayo51

JarOfMayo51 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Jenkins is a vet and might be ahead of everyone except for Amendola in training camp. Jones has a lot of potential as well, so as long as we have young guys in Dobson and Boyce developing behind them, I wouldn't feel too bad about our WR situation for the immediate need and moving forward.

Its a lot better than Rache Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney back in 2006.
  18. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

To the 9 people voting for Edelman, he has a 10.3ypc average. Whether you think he can play outside or not, BB won't be starting two WRs with 8.8 and 10.3ypc respectively, that would truely be sad.

Two under 6' WRs with two of the lowest ypcs in the league will not be starting side by side, I can't see it. Even fall to the ground Lloyd had 12.3ypc last year, and he rarely stretched the field.

Dobson's the perfect fit, it's just a matter if he's ready and gets it.
  19. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

No, sadly, it's not.
  20. manxman2601

manxman2601 Rookie

Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

Voted for Jenkins because I think he wins the battle for both BB's and Brady's trust and I think that will be the most important factor early - particularly if Gronk and Hernandez don't play. I do see Dobson getting more and more time as the season progresses though.
  21. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

IMHO i think most folks are underestimating what Tom Brady is doing with these receivers. He won Super Bowls with Deion Branch, David Givens, David Patton and Troy Brown and took the Patriots to the AFCCG with Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, and Jabar Gaffney. Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Michael Jenkins, and Donald Jones will all be better with Tom Brady than any of us can imagine and they will be just fine
  22. NEPettyOfficer72

NEPettyOfficer72 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes it is... no question lol
  23. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

The correlations are there, for any willing to admit it:

Troy Brown = Mike Jenkins
    Doug Gabriel = Donald Jones
    Chad Jackson = Aaron Dobson
    Caldwell = Edelman

It is what it is. The only real difference is Gaffney v. Amendola, especially since Gaffney was a late addition.
  24. NEPettyOfficer72

NEPettyOfficer72 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Talent wise this group is the most talented we've had outside of the 2007 group. The thing that I like about this group better than last year is that both Wes and Lloyd were one trick ponies and these guys simply aren't. Wes couldn't get deep or catch the big pass and Lloyd just couldn't get deep. Lloyd also couldn't beat tough coverage or threaten a defense vertically and made an unnecessary effort on the easiest passes thrown to him, as if he was confused or didn't know what he was doing. You didn't see that in "scrubs" like Givens, Patten, Branch or Brown. I don't care what numbers you throw at me, or what "BIG NAME" you have, the result of the season doesn't lie. Brandon Lloyd disappeared too often, and was non existent in the AFC Championship game. Against the patriots, what do you do? Clog the middle because you know Wes isn't going to beat you deep and you also know Lloyd offers NO THREAT. That's how the Raven's spanked us, he simply couldn't get open. But with this group of receivers this year, they all offer something that we haven't seen in a while.... versatility and a different variety of things that they can each do. And you can't go by health because that's something that simply just happens, any and everybody on the roster could get hurt at anytime whether they have a history or not. Any and everybody could also stay healthy for a season at anytime, where they have a history or not. That's how it works.

Dobson - Can run every route, young so has juice, speed, size, strength, vertical, leverage and hands.. that are a lot of teams that wanted this kid, and WE have him. By the way that one handed catch was sick and that's not the only one handed catch he has made, look him up on you-tube. You just don't get compared to Moss and Fitzgerald out of college just for the hell of it. smart kid, easier to pick up offensive system because of it, also jersey number in teens like other great "Big men" ;) (B-Marshall, Julio Jones, Fitzgerald, AJ Green) And we also have a good track record of receivers out of Marshall which happen to be our two best ever for NE in Randy Moss and Troy Brown.
    Amendola - Bigger, faster, quicker, stronger, more athletic, crisper routes, more explosive, more accomplished coming into NE then Wes in 07 and glue hands. Runs any and every route, including the deep (Welker couldn't) Welker 2.5 upgrade in all facets especially speed, determined, hungry and healthy. Brady will make this guy a superstar IMO. Especially since he made Wes a star after the poor runnings with MIA and SD
    Edelman - Slot, X, Running-back, Scat-back and deep (proven against Jets last season), great at inside slants and smoke screens and elusiveness and open field playmaking ability rivals Hernandez. Lets not forget in 2009 how he filled in well for Welker as a rookie. Formally known as Wes Welker's "minime". If healthy, he can be downright explosive.
    DJones - Solid route runner and has beaten a few teams deep against good defenses, sneaky speed and very versatile. Can even take handoffs out of the backfield and could excel in offense system and quarterback like ours
    Boyce - thick but quick, fast down field, strong, yac attack after the catch and tough hands. Smart kid, makes it easier to pick up offensive system.
    Jenkins - all I can say is a decent career with NO real quarterback throwing to him. Solid routes, tall and above average possession receiver which is what we need. Also has the experience and wisdom to get it done, share with Tom such as ideas and teach the younger ones.

- These guys can run different routes and be lined up all over the field, including the backfield in some cases. They offer more of a threat for defenses to have to cover more field and think more as opposed to Wes and Lloyd because at least with Wes and Lloyd you know what do defend and what you are getting. With this group, you have no clue who is running what route and what to expect or defend but you know the ball is coming out quickly, accurately and without a huddle lol And you better be ready to defend because the routes are going to be precise.

Also the guy that got the most out of David Givens, David Patten, Deion Branch and Troy Brown was brought back in WR Coach Brian Daboll for a reason ... If he could coach and groom that group then imagine what Daboll can do for this group? Especially with them having tons of more talent, passes thrown from Tom and coaching from McDaniels, Daboll AND Belichick .. AND TOM lol Really? And we're worried about offense?

If you ask me anybody could line up across from Amendola.. Although I think that Aaron Dobson, Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman could be LETHAL.
  25. NEPettyOfficer72

NEPettyOfficer72 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is stupid and I'm wasting my time responding to you, why are you even a fan? :confused:

Chad Jackson? compares nothing to Dobson, especially in size and type of receiver.

Caldwell is a lot slower, not as quick, not nearly as explosive or has open field playmaking ability like Edelman has.. so that's dumb.

Troy Brown is a lot shorter then Jenkins and not the same type of receiver so???

And I mean this Respectfully
  26. manxman2601

manxman2601 Rookie

Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

Excellent post although I'm not as high on Dobson as you are.
  27. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

You're probably the most over-the-top, blind homer currently posting here, and I don't judge my personal fandom based upon how blindly I follow my team, so your "fan" dig is completely wasted on me.

• Jackson - pimped rookie drafted in 2nd round who started the offseason slowly, same as Dobson
    • Brown - Established vet in the 30's with about 40 catches the year before, same as Jenkins
    • Gabriel - 25 year old going into 4th season, looking to establish himself after an injury shortened season yielding about 40 receptions, same as Jones.
    • Caldwell - 47 games, 12 starts, 76 catches in first 4 seasons (Edelman 48 games 13 starts 69 catches)

What was "dumb" was your kneejerk response that did nothing but demonstrate your lack of thought prior to posting.
  28. BradyBranch39

BradyBranch39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd have to say Jenkins right now, but I'm not comfortable answering this question in mid-June.
  29. thechris

thechris Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

WR is going to be a HUGE problem this season. If I were an opposing defense I'd blitz Brady all day long.
  30. Bravo777

Bravo777 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'm really excited to see this Other guy play. I heard on ESPN that he's got some real potential.