PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will recover from their injuries of last year?

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
1) Rodney Harrison - I think Rodney will be back in charge of the secondary but think age will continue to creep up with him,I still expect him to be as a leader back there and also expect him to be his usual hard hitting self and important to the secondary ever more so,especially if the Asante situation becomes bad,If Asante does not return then we will need him to play teacher/student even more so than before,I will still worry about his speed which will likely continue to slow a bit more the longer he plays.

2) Eugene Wilson - Started his career in an outstanding way looking like a true force back there with Rodney until Rodney went down with that injury,Since then he has not been a real factor out there or is injured,I think he will be back in the starting lineup although a rookie drafted in his position may give him a run for the money if he does not recover from his injury and his 'lazy' play at times,With Rodney helping out there I think he can become a good player again back there but he will need to start becoming good again fast because Harrison will likely no probably no longer be there next year and there are some good rookies in the draft in this position,one of whom might push Wilson to the sidelines with a good solid camp if Wilson himself struggles.

3) Ellis Hobbs - This guy has some grit to him playing with a busted wrist injury and not asking to be replaced or put on the shelf like some guys do which affected his play all last year and his coverage at times suffered IMO with that injury,Even though sometimes he does some stupid things like overplay the ball or gamble at an interception and get burned,His worst games seem to come against teams like Denver for example with tall fast receivers like Walker,His pass interference issues need some work as well,I think he has been involved in more PI calls in the past 2 years than most NFL players in his position,Those mistakes aside I think he can be a very solid player in years ahead one he starts to play smart and in this system and with these coaches theres no better team to get smarter on.

4) Laurence Maroney - After suffering shoulder and rib injuries which hopefully will heal in time for camp you have to think Laurence will be back better than the latter part of last year and more experience in carrying the ball more can only help plus the rookie tag will be off,I still think he may need Morris to help out in games with the load more than some guys do but he should be the workhorse much more than he was with Corey and a 1,200 yard rushing year seems about right if he can maintain healthy all year and the OL blocks well which was not the case in the playoffs last year.

5) Richard Seymour - I think Richard just has not been the dominating force in recent years because he likely still has some nagging injuries of his leg that is not severe enough to keep him out of most games but I think has hampered him much of 2005-06 - If he can avoid any problems like that this year and his legs hold up against the constant pounding of banging up against those Offensive line guys I think he can be back in force with 8 or more sacks this year and better than ever.

6) Junior Seau - Has quietly become a spiritual team leader and the fans in New England already love this guy as a Patriot,I could imagine if he had played his whole career here you would have probably seen a Seau Jersey on every person in New England at one time or another,You gotta love how he played the game last year after his 'graduation' and I expect him to work hard in camp as he always does and get another spot on the roster and just one more year to provide what may be very important backup LB help,especially if Bruschi is left to handle the whole load there again although he will have Thomas to help along with Vrabel and depening on what rookie at the LB postion,if any we take - However if Seau is not near guaranteed he will be on the field at least a decent portion of the time,he may decide to retire,regardless of that he has quickly become a favorite here and wish him well no matter what.

7) Chad Jackson - I still have high hopes from this speedster from Florida although I think there is a chance he will not be on the active roster come september and may still sit out this season on IR,If he does recover and make the active roster I think we should see a better,more productive receiver than what we saw in 2006,It matters of how much time if any he has with Brady in camp and if he does come back earlier than expected I could see him playing well enough to keep Kelley Washington or even Troy Brown (sad to say it) off the roster.If Chad comes back and does what people think he could do can you imagine Stallworth on one side and Jackson on the other? - I don't know if any other team in the NFL would have 2 faster guys on both sides at one time. of course speed does not mean anything if you don't produce (see Bethel Johnson) but IMO there is an upside to Chad and until he has a second consecutive bad season,there is hope he recovers and has a great 2007.

8) Randall Gay - Has looked great in his early days here but is often injured,If he stays healthy for once plays as decent as he had done his early starts he may be able to make us not worry so much much about losing Samuel,but IMO Gay is still a big if,Some guys just can't stay healthy enough to become good.

9) Josh Miller - I think he comes back strong, kicks well again and we will not match the offer for Sauerbrun,Miller has always been a good kicker and don't see that injury hindering his performance in 2007.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all I could see our injured players coming back and playing just as well as they did before their injury,My biggest concern might be the play of Harrison,Not because of his talent because we all know he is still a force to reckon with but the age factor which usually includes losing some speed out there,other than that we should look good come september...But thats IF we have a healthy camp at last,We always seem to lose 2 or 3 DBs for the season during the summer and early fall.

Excellent post. I sure hope that they all recover and return to pre-injury state (hopefully with some maturing along the way).

When you look at the injuries this way it kinda puts to rest the "fault of the strength and conditioning coach", Rodney, Junior, Ellis, Maroney, Seymour(elbow), Jackson all seem to have had existing injuries or bone injuries that are not related to strength and conditioning. But as we do not know all the details and we have to presume, it is a difficult thing to assess.

I would hope that one of the RT's will come back at their pre-injury form. Both Kaycur and O'Callaghan have been injured. I would add Ster Mitchell to make it an even dozen.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Seau is not a New England Patriots player.
Did I miss a signing?

I think a better question is who on the list wont recover....and the fear here is that rodney, gay, miller, chad jack, and i guess geno are all pretty big question marks going forward as far as their health.

1) Rodney Harrison - I think Rodney will be back in charge of the secondary but think age will continue to creep up with him,I still expect him to be as a leader back there and also expect him to be his usual hard hitting self and important to the secondary ever more so,especially if the Asante situation becomes bad,If Asante does not return then we will need him to play teacher/student even more so than before,I will still worry about his speed which will likely continue to slow a bit more the longer he plays.

2) Eugene Wilson - Started his career in an outstanding way looking like a true force back there with Rodney until Rodney went down with that injury,Since then he has not been a real factor out there or is injured,I think he will be back in the starting lineup although a rookie drafted in his position may give him a run for the money if he does not recover from his injury and his 'lazy' play at times,With Rodney helping out there I think he can become a good player again back there but he will need to start becoming good again fast because Harrison will likely no probably no longer be there next year and there are some good rookies in the draft in this position,one of whom might push Wilson to the sidelines with a good solid camp if Wilson himself struggles.

3) Ellis Hobbs - This guy has some grit to him playing with a busted wrist injury and not asking to be replaced or put on the shelf like some guys do which affected his play all last year and his coverage at times suffered IMO with that injury,Even though sometimes he does some stupid things like overplay the ball or gamble at an interception and get burned,His worst games seem to come against teams like Denver for example with tall fast receivers like Walker,His pass interference issues need some work as well,I think he has been involved in more PI calls in the past 2 years than most NFL players in his position,Those mistakes aside I think he can be a very solid player in years ahead one he starts to play smart and in this system and with these coaches theres no better team to get smarter on.

4) Laurence Maroney - After suffering shoulder and rib injuries which hopefully will heal in time for camp you have to think Laurence will be back better than the latter part of last year and more experience in carrying the ball more can only help plus the rookie tag will be off,I still think he may need Morris to help out in games with the load more than some guys do but he should be the workhorse much more than he was with Corey and a 1,200 yard rushing year seems about right if he can maintain healthy all year and the OL blocks well which was not the case in the playoffs last year.

5) Richard Seymour - I think Richard just has not been the dominating force in recent years because he likely still has some nagging injuries of his leg that is not severe enough to keep him out of most games but I think has hampered him much of 2005-06 - If he can avoid any problems like that this year and his legs hold up against the constant pounding of banging up against those Offensive line guys I think he can be back in force with 8 or more sacks this year and better than ever.

6) Junior Seau - Has quietly become a spiritual team leader and the fans in New England already love this guy as a Patriot,I could imagine if he had played his whole career here you would have probably seen a Seau Jersey on every person in New England at one time or another,You gotta love how he played the game last year after his 'graduation' and I expect him to work hard in camp as he always does and get another spot on the roster and just one more year to provide what may be very important backup LB help,especially if Bruschi is left to handle the whole load there again although he will have Thomas to help along with Vrabel and depening on what rookie at the LB postion,if any we take - However if Seau is not near guaranteed he will be on the field at least a decent portion of the time,he may decide to retire,regardless of that he has quickly become a favorite here and wish him well no matter what.

7) Chad Jackson - I still have high hopes from this speedster from Florida although I think there is a chance he will not be on the active roster come september and may still sit out this season on IR,If he does recover and make the active roster I think we should see a better,more productive receiver than what we saw in 2006,It matters of how much time if any he has with Brady in camp and if he does come back earlier than expected I could see him playing well enough to keep Kelley Washington or even Troy Brown (sad to say it) off the roster.If Chad comes back and does what people think he could do can you imagine Stallworth on one side and Jackson on the other? - I don't know if any other team in the NFL would have 2 faster guys on both sides at one time. of course speed does not mean anything if you don't produce (see Bethel Johnson) but IMO there is an upside to Chad and until he has a second consecutive bad season,there is hope he recovers and has a great 2007.

8) Randall Gay - Has looked great in his early days here but is often injured,If he stays healthy for once plays as decent as he had done his early starts he may be able to make us not worry so much much about losing Samuel,but IMO Gay is still a big if,Some guys just can't stay healthy enough to become good.

9) Josh Miller - I think he comes back strong, kicks well again and we will not match the offer for Sauerbrun,Miller has always been a good kicker and don't see that injury hindering his performance in 2007.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all I could see our injured players coming back and playing just as well as they did before their injury,My biggest concern might be the play of Harrison,Not because of his talent because we all know he is still a force to reckon with but the age factor which usually includes losing some speed out there,other than that we should look good come september...But thats IF we have a healthy camp at last,We always seem to lose 2 or 3 DBs for the season during the summer and early fall.
This is a great thread...eespecially since the past two years injuries have been the most and a real factor for the team. It is part of the game, but one may think that in time it would average out...remember 02?? FEW injuries at all and..not even in the playoffs..I am hoping the injury bug is closer to that or even 02 and the injuries there.
I think the ones I worry about more are with the younger players..those that are early in teh development..Gay, Wilson, Maroney...maybe more the first two as it has been a fw years of various injuries that they have faced.
Gay showed a lot of promise and hopefully will return and advance now. Same with Wilson, who looked so good at times and now has been going in the other direction. (Maybe a ret to CB??) I always worry about young running backs who take a pounding...makes a backup needed more. Rodney will be OK; he's a player. Seymour is a player; he'll be fine. I also think Hobbs will...much character to play with the broken wrist and di as solid a job as he did. Jackson again will take time..not as worried for this year..but maybe he can learn a lot as he rehabs. Miller's injury is a bit of concern..one of teh 2 NFLE guys may have a shot if they wish to look younger and if Miller's injury is slowing him. I like Seau as well..but I wonder..does he wish to return here??
There are other injuries as mentioned..Kaczur, O'Callaghan (neck/head..I wonder if that might not be a bit more serious..) Bruschi, TroyB, Mills, Yates, Mitchell....

I suppose it is OK for fans to think of Wilson and Gay as young developing players. For the patriots, they need to be expected to produce now. They will be unrestricted free agenst after this season.

im gonna say Hobbs and Wilson will be very good this season if healthy

Hobbs - i admire the kids attitude and fire. He never quits, always competes and makes some nice plays on d and on KR. Hes a physical little guy and without the cast, he'll be better

Wilson - we seem to better at safety than previous years with Sanders getting a lot of playing time, rodney coming back and a draft pick. contract year, he'll play hard and we'll be organized in the secondary

Perhaps this is being pessimistic, but I don't think we can count on a full season from Rodney at optimum performance level. We need someone additional back there to spell him, he's wearing down and slowing down.

Perhaps this is being pessimistic, but I don't think we can count on a full season from Rodney at optimum performance level. We need someone additional back there to spell him, he's wearing down and slowing down.

I agree, and we already have that person in James Sanders.

I agree, and we already have that person in James Sanders.

Theres NO WAY James Sanders is Rodney's replacement,He may be a fill in guy when or if Rodney goes down again but our next guy to replace Rodney will hopefully be in this years draft and will fit in the rotation in time,especially if a Safety is the first or second pick in the first round.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back