PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
The Philadelphia Eagles may not be as interested in disgruntled New England Patriots WR Deion Branch as some media outlets are claiming. According to published reports, the Eagles do not consider Branch to be an elite receiver and seem unwilling to offer him more than the Patriots last reported bid, which was $18.75 million over three years. According to a report out of New England, there are rumblings that Branch will receive at least one significant offer prior to Friday's deadline to work out his own trade. Sources: Boston Herald and the Philadelphia Daily News.

http://www.fantasyindex.com/News_Heads.html

The rumor says that we will recieve at least 1 significant offer. Any idea who would make the offer?

Edit: added link

Last edited:
Colorado Crush or Georgia Storm I believe.

Digger44 said:
The Philadelphia Eagles may not be as interested in disgruntled New England Patriots WR Deion Branch as some media outlets are claiming. According to published reports, the Eagles do not consider Branch to be an elite receiver and seem unwilling to offer him more than the Patriots last reported bid, which was $18.75 million over three years. According to a report out of New England, there are rumblings that Branch will receive at least one significant offer prior to Friday's deadline to work out his own trade. Sources: Boston Herald and the Philadelphia Daily News.

http://www.fantasyindex.com/News_Heads.html

The rumor says that we will recieve at least 1 significant offer. Any idea who would make the offer?

Edit: added link
The teams that come to mind are the Vikings and Niners.

the other team i was pondering was the lions. williams/rogers maybe?

I would say Washington because we know how much Snyder loves to throw $ out the window. But with an already crowded receiving corps, that's an unlikely destination for Branch. Someone mentioned GB & I think that could make sense. Another might be the Vikings who lost Koren Robinson. I'm pretty sure KC & SD would be interested as well. I'm not familiar with every team's cap status though.

I am hoping that Deion is traded to a team that we play this year. That way, when he does catch a pass against us, Rodney can be there to decapitate him.

Seahawks makes sense.

huskeralk said:
The teams that come to mind are the Vikings and Niners.

Here's a (surprisingly good) list Peter King drew up for his MMQB column, which includes the potential interested party's remaining cap space:

• Minnesota ($10.4 million under the cap): After losing Koren Robinson, this is a team with a good veteran quarterback, Brad Johnson, and no reliable wideout. I doubt Minnesota will do something as bold as paying Branch and surrendering a first-round pick, but you just don't know how desperate owner Zygi Wilf is feeling after the Robinson embarrassment.

• Buffalo ($8.8 million under): The Pats aren't afraid to deal within the division, as they showed with Drew Bledsoe. But maybe the bomb Peerless Price caught from J.P. Losman the other night will make Marv Levy think he can get by with Lee Evans and flotsam at wideout.

• Green Bay ($8.3 million under): Talk about a perfect replacement for Javon Walker, who has yet to be replaced in the north country.

• Kansas City ($12 million under): Herman Edwards saw him twice a year for the last four years, and his starters now are the aging Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker. That's a lot of money to be burning a hole in Carl Peterson's pocket.

• New York Jets ($7.0 million under): They've taken everything else that wasn't nailed down in Foxboro. Why not Brady's favorite receiver?

• Seattle ($10.0 million under): If I were Mike Holmgren, I'd do it. Darrell Jackson gets hurt every 10 minutes, and you know you're picking near the end of the first round almost no matter what happens in January. Take the shot. Trade the first-round pick and sign Branch long-term.

• San Francisco ($10.1 million under): The Niners need players at almost any position.

• Cleveland ($8.5 million under): Romeo Crennel knows Branch and loves him. But he also just bought Joe Jurevicius in free agency, and a threesome of Braylon Edwards, Jurevicius and Dennis Northcutt hardly is a weak position group on a team in need of help elsewhere.

The team that PK seems to think makes the most sense is Seattle, and I see his point -- this is a team that could be convinced that they are a #1 WR away from being a prohibitive favorite to rep the NFC in the SB. The only thing that makes them less likely, though, is that they already paid out $49 mil over 7 years to Burleson this season, which is a lot to pay a guy and then make him your #3 WR, assuming D-Jack can get healthy.

Minny and the Hawks make sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seattle makes no sense to me. I thought they were pretty well stacked at WR up there.

Try to trade him to a team with a top 15 pick. I was going to point out the huge Burleson deal, too, but I got beaten to the punch.

huskeralk said:
Seattle makes no sense to me. I thought they were pretty well stacked at WR up there.

they are ok if jackson is healthy. he has both knees operated upon in the off season.

Branch will not get offers that are better than the Patriots. He will report to the team on 9/2.

Maybe they will reach an agreement for an extension shortly after that.

Digger44 said:
they are ok if jackson is healthy. he has both knees operated upon in the off season.

They still have Burleson and Engram. Jackson, Branch, Burleson, and Engram would just be overkill.

bakes781 said:
I would say Washington because we know how much Snyder loves to throw $ out the window. But with an already crowded receiving corps, that's an unlikely destination for Branch. Someone mentioned GB & I think that could make sense. Another might be the Vikings who lost Koren Robinson. I'm pretty sure KC & SD would be interested as well. I'm not familiar with every team's cap status though.

Why would San Diego (Who has Keenan McCardell, Eric Parker and Vincent Jackson) want Branch? Especially after they gave McCardell an extension last year.

KC is a definite possibility. I think the Texans, Lions, Packers, Vikings, 49ers and to a lesser extent, the Seahawks, Browns, Steelers, Eagles, Panthers, Buccaneers, Redskins, Falcons, Saints, Jaguars, Broncos, Cowboys, Bears, Dolphins, Jets, Ravens,Bills, Giants and Raiders are also possibilities. The teams that I don't think will be interested in Branch are the Titans, Rams, Bengals, Cardinals, Colts and Chargers.

Now, of those teams, I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Williams from the Lions, Marcus Robinson from the Vikings, Darrell Jackson from the Seahawks, Michel Jenkins from Atlanta, Keary Colbert from Carolina, Santana Moss from Washington, Dennis Northcutt from Cleveland, Robert Ferguson from Green Bay, Andre Johnson from Houston, Ernest Wilford or Reggie Williams from the Jaguars, Joe Horn from the Saints, Amani Toomer from the Giants, Reggie Brown from the Eagles, Kevin Curtis from St. Loui or Michael Clayton from the Bucs as part of some deal for Branch.

DaBruinz said:
Why would San Diego (Who has Keenan McCardell, Eric Parker and Vincent Jackson) want Branch? Especially after they gave McCardell an extension last year.

KC is a definite possibility. I think the Texans, Lions, Packers, Vikings, 49ers and to a lesser extent, the Seahawks, Browns, Steelers, Eagles, Panthers, Buccaneers, Redskins, Falcons, Saints, Jaguars, Broncos, Cowboys, Bears, Dolphins, Jets, Ravens,Bills, Giants and Raiders are also possibilities. The teams that I don't think will be interested in Branch are the Titans, Rams, Bengals, Cardinals, Colts and Chargers.

Now, of those teams, I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Williams from the Lions, Marcus Robinson from the Vikings, Darrell Jackson from the Seahawks, Michel Jenkins from Atlanta, Keary Colbert from Carolina, Santana Moss from Washington, Dennis Northcutt from Cleveland, Robert Ferguson from Green Bay, Andre Johnson from Houston, Ernest Wilford or Reggie Williams from the Jaguars, Joe Horn from the Saints, Amani Toomer from the Giants, Reggie Brown from the Eagles, Kevin Curtis from St. Loui or Michael Clayton from the Bucs as part of some deal for Branch.

I agree with KC. I can't imagine Seattle pulling a trigger like that when they really don't need to.

I would be happy with Kennison and a 3rd. NOBODY is going to give out a 1st for Branch, if a deal does go down it will be a player and a pick.

Last edited:
If we got Andre Johnson from the Texans for Deion Branch, I'd wet my pants. I think he's the best receiver in the league and would put up incredible numbers if he had a half decent QB throwing to him.

It wouldn't happen. Kennison and a 3rd is a possibility, though, and one I wouldn't be too unhappy with.

I don't think that Romeo would ever Trade a first round pick or pay Branch what he wants.

If Felger is hearing rumblings I would advise him not to stray too far from the nearest privvy. I wouldn't put too much stock in his "rumblings".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back