PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Will Brady Throw To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If the FO cannot successfully address this issue, I don't think improving the running game and the defense will help much. After all there is a team NOT in the Super Bowl that was #1 in total defense and #1 in rushing offense.

FA, get a vet to fill in. With Welker out half the year, this is a huge black hole right now...:(

Mark LeVoir - thanks for asking.

Free agency and draft seem to be loaded with solid talent. They should be able to find one or two decent #3.

Let's not forget about Brandon Tate. Hopefully he will be fully recovered by mini-camp. He has boatloads of talent. I also hopin that Seattle cut Mieon, I think he could fill in nicely.

Although your question is very valid, considering that Moss will be coming back off the shoulder injury, Welker I think we can all assume will be starting the year on the PUP list, Tate is coming off another knee injury, Edelman's arm should be healthy by now. But the list of injuries to TFB's receiving corp is scary.

The Pats brought in Moss and Welker as FA in the same year, and they worked flawlessly. So there is no reason to think that it can not be done again.

My targets:

Trades: (provided it does not cost a draft pick higher than #53)

Marshall
Ochocinco

Free Agents/ Restricted Free Agents:
Mieon
Leon Washington

Draft:
C.J. Spiller
Golden Tate (not too early)

Let's not forget about Brandon Tate. Hopefully he will be fully recovered by mini-camp. He has boatloads of talent. I also hopin that Seattle cut Mieon, I think he could fill in nicely.

Although your question is very valid, considering that Moss will be coming back off the shoulder injury, Welker I think we can all assume will be starting the year on the PUP list, Tate is coming off another knee injury, Edelman's arm should be healthy by now. But the list of injuries to TFB's receiving corp is scary.

The Pats brought in Moss and Welker as FA in the same year, and they worked flawlessly. So there is no reason to think that it can not be done again.

My targets:

Trades: (provided it does not cost a draft pick higher than #53)

Marshall
Ochocinco

Free Agents/ Restricted Free Agents:
Mieon
Leon Washington

Draft:
C.J. Spiller
Golden Tate (not too early)
Leon Washington would be a great addition. He would also solve the KR issues. I wonder if he Punts also?

Not sure I understand this one. Here is the state of the WR as I see it:

SE = Moss: Obviously not healthy at the end, but check the 2nd Bills game
FL = Tate: Why assume his career is over at age 22?
Slot = Edelman: Keeping the spot warm until Welker is ready
TE2 = Good blocker and showed good rapport with Brady

Not going to include Aiken even though he has shown he can be a reasonable fill-in for injuries in addition to being a ST captain...meaning he is #5 on the depth chart.

So what is missing and how hard will it be to get?

One more WR on the depth chart to serve as the #4 in the first half of the season and then be a situational (red zone?) guy later in the year. That is a 3rd day draft pick or a low-priced vet.

A #1 TE with a top-shelf set of receiving skills. This one is harder. Nobody in the draft is a sure thing. This is an area where the Pats could invest some FA dollars. There is a thread already, but none of them really float my boat either.

So the only real heavy lifting this year if for a #1 TE. Everything else is either in place or easy to get. Next year you look for the Moss replacement, but luckily there are a slew of candidates in the draft with the Pats sitting on two #1 picks.

Edit: Oops...forgot RB. Time for a Faulk upgrade and McCluster would be ideal for the that. Get him even if you have to use #44.

Last edited:
I'd love to pick up Kevin Walter. His versatility and ability to play both the slot AND the Z really entice me. I see him as a rich man's David Givens. I think he'd be cost-effective and a solid signing.

Not sure I understand this one. Here is the state of the WR as I see it:

SE = Moss: Obviously not healthy at the end, but check the 2nd Bills game
FL = Tate: Why assume his career is over at age 22?
Slot = Edelman: Keeping the spot warm until Welker is ready
TE2 = Good blocker and showed good rapport with Brady

Not going to include Aiken even though he has shown he can be a reasonable fill-in for injuries in addition to being a ST captain...meaning he is #5 on the depth chart.

So what is missing and how hard will it be to get?

One more WR on the depth chart to serve as the #4 in the first half of the season and then be a situational (red zone?) guy later in the year. That is a 3rd day draft pick or a low-priced vet.

A #1 TE with a top-shelf set of receiving skills. This one is harder. Nobody in the draft is a sure thing. This is an area where the Pats could invest some FA dollars. There is a thread already, but none of them really float my boat either.

So the only real heavy lifting this year if for a #1 TE. Everything else is either in place or easy to get. Next year you look for the Moss replacement, but luckily there are a slew of candidates in the draft with the Pats sitting on two #1 picks.

Edit: Oops...forgot RB. Time for a Faulk upgrade and McCluster would be ideal for the that. Get him even if you have to use #44.

If Moss, Edelman, Tate and Baker are are starters at the beginning of the season then I am extremely concerned. There is not gaurentee that Tate will be ready. He could be put on the PUP list. Edelman showed promise, but this will be his 2nd year as a WR, ever! And Baker did not give me much hope last season. I think they need to make the WR a strong piont in FA this off season. And then draft a WR in rounds 2-4.

I'd love to pick up Kevin Walter. His versatility and ability to play both the slot AND the Z really entice me. I see him as a rich man's David Givens. I think he'd be cost-effective and a solid signing.

Agreed, he's under the radar and would be very solid, I also like Domenik Hixon, he's another solid receiver and a lethal kick returner.

Leon Washington would also be a great pickup for the running game and could double as a receiver.

Andre Roberts is my favorite receiver in the draft so far, we just need more picks.

If Moss, Edelman, Tate and Baker are are starters at the beginning of the season then I am extremely concerned. There is not gaurentee that Tate will be ready. He could be put on the PUP list. Edelman showed promise, but this will be his 2nd year as a WR, ever! And Baker did not give me much hope last season. I think they need to make the WR a strong piont in FA this off season. And then draft a WR in rounds 2-4.

So in week #9, you want the depth chart to look like:

Moss
Welker
Mid-level FA
2nd-day Draft Pick
Edelman
Tate

Guess how many practice passes Brady throws to the #5 and #6 WRs on the depth chart. About as many as you and I get. So Edelman has a really positive rookie year and ends up with fewer opportunites in year 2. Tate gets drafted in the 3rd round (only because of injury) and gets replaced on the depth chart by a player drafted in the same range the next year.

How is this not spasming without a sense of direction?

Agreed, he's under the radar and would be very solid, I also like Domenik Hixon, he's another solid receiver and a lethal kick returner.

Leon Washington would also be a great pickup for the running game and could double as a receiver.

Andre Roberts is my favorite receiver in the draft so far, we just need more picks.

co-sign.gif

Last edited:

Moss
Welker
Mid-level FA
2nd-day Draft Pick
Edelman
Tate

Guess how many practice passes Brady throws to the #5 and #6 WRs on the depth chart. About as many as you and I get. So Edelman has a really positive rookie year and ends up with fewer opportunites in year 2. Tate gets drafted in the 3rd round (only because of injury) and gets replaced on the depth chart by a player drafted in the same range the next year.

First of all, we have no idea whether or not Tate will be ready by week 1 next year. Let alone be ready for mini camps, training camps, preseason, etc. And we certainly wont know that during this off season. I think its safe to go with that knowledge and plan for him possibly being on the PUP or best case, miss some of traiing camp. This team needs a reliable threat opposite Moss, or we are going to see the same thing happen next year that happend this past year. Team will take out Moss with a double team. Edelman at best will be a replacement for Welker. We still need another opition at the #2 spot plus I think we need some depth, which we did not have in 2009. Stainbach and Aiken are not good enough.

I think this team needs to add at least 2 FA wr's. I like Walter as a #2 guy and maybe Josh Reed as a low end FA, maybe Deon Branch of he gets released. Welker may not even make it back next year. The time table for him is 6-12 months. I certainly like a WR depth of Moss - Walter - Reed/Branch - Edelman - Tate (when he comes back) - draft pick over Moss - Edelman - FA/3rd day draft pick - Tate. No one is sayind Tate's career is over, but he had a major injury. He has questions right now. And right now is when the Pats are building a team for next year.

Hixon, Kevin Walter, Washington or Antonio Bryant...

Any 1 of them would work just fine

Javier Arenas

From the draft... Gilyard or Demaryius Thomas.

From free agency... Walter, Hixon, Moore, Demetrius Williams or Sinorice Moss.

I agree, but isn't he an RFA with no new CBA in place?

Moss
Welker
Mid-level FA
2nd-day Draft Pick
Edelman
Tate

I think it's more like:

#1 = Moss
#2 = ? (Welker, when available)

Edelman, Tate, Mid-level FA, 2nd round pick, 4th/6th round pick, UDFA all battling for position on the depth chart.

Why so many?

We don't know how well Moss is recovering or how well he'll hold up next season.

We don't know when (or IF) Welker will be back.

We don't know if Tate will ever even play.

Worst case scenario is that Moss is reduced to part time, Welker doesn' make it back at all for 2010 and Tate never plays.

That leaves us with Edelman a mid-level FA and 3 rookies.

I think it's more like:

#1 = Moss
#2 = ? (Welker, when available)

Edelman, Tate, Mid-level FA, 2nd round pick, 4th/6th round pick, UDFA all battling for position on the depth chart.

Why so many?

We don't know how well Moss is recovering or how well he'll hold up next season.

We don't know when (or IF) Welker will be back.

We don't know if Tate will ever even play.

Worst case scenario is that Moss is reduced to part time, Welker doesn' make it back at all for 2010 and Tate never plays.

That leaves us with Edelman a mid-level FA and 3 rookies.

Why not 2 Free agents?

I like Hixon, Walter, Osgood (though there is debate about how good a receiver he'll be), and Leon Washington.

The more we take care of through free agency the more we can use the draft to build a line to protect Brady and our pass rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes