PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be this years Connor Barwin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kindle only has like 3 or 4 sacks this season. I know he gets double-teamed, but still. Besides, I don't like to use the combine as the best way to gauge a player; Vernon Gholston looked like a freak of nature at the combine and now he's the highest paid special teams linebacker in the league.

Somebody had a clip of immediate post-draft analysis from SNY in New York. Their JEST analysts said that the JEST had pulled one over on the Pats by getting Gholston. :D

Somebody had a clip of immediate post-draft analysis from SNY in New York. Their JEST analysts said that the JEST had pulled one over on the Pats by getting Gholston. :D

I was bored a few weeks ago and read the ganggreen 2008 draft thread to see how their fans initially reacted to his selection. Some funny stuff on there. Virtually every poster believed the Jets robbed the Pats and when we traded back it made them even more c.ocky.

Last edited:
I want this board to hop on the Toby Gerhart bandwagon. :)
Hell No!

Kindle only has like 3 or 4 sacks this season. I know he gets double-teamed, but still. Besides, I don't like to use the combine as the best way to gauge a player; Vernon Gholston looked like a freak of nature at the combine and now he's the highest paid special teams linebacker in the league.

Adrian Peterson also looked like a freak of nature at the combine and hes arguably the best running back in the NFL. Kindle isnt a one trick pony like Gholston, he has a high motor unlike Gholston and he had a strong performance in the National championship game which shows me that he can compete at a high level in big games against big opponents.

Jerry Hughes is almost certainly at the top of the Belichick draft board. ( my instincts tell me ) he should be at the top of all ours as well.

CP

I want this board to hop on the Toby Gerhart bandwagon.

In terms of binkydom, oh yeah, I'm feelin you.

Jerry Hughes is almost certainly at the top of the Belichick draft board. ( my instincts tell me ) he should be at the top of all ours as well.

CP

He doesn't have proto-typical Belichick measurables.

Remember, BB is after guys at 6'4" and over and weighing 260lbs+

Hughes isn't that tall are big.

Using that criteria alone, I'll guess BB's board probably looks something like this:

Morgan
Hardy
Dunlap
JPP
Lane
Hughes
Graham

He doesn't have proto-typical Belichick measurables.

Remember, BB is after guys at 6'4" and over and weighing 260lbs+

Hughes isn't that tall are big.

Using that criteria alone, I'll guess BB's board probably looks something like this:

Morgan
Hardy
Dunlap
JPP
Lane
Hughes
Graham

I agree with your assessment. I'd be shocked if Jerry Hughes is at the top of BB's OLB board.

I'm not sure about the order of Morgan/Hardy/Dunlap/JPP, but they've got to be at the top of his list. Lane is the most intriguing. I'd add Sergio Kindle and Ricky Sapp since they're both 6'4"+, but they're on the light side and don't seem stout enough to really be of interest. Sapp's a glorified Shawn Crable.

I want this board to hop on the Toby Gerhart bandwagon.

In terms of binkydom, oh yeah, I'm feelin you.

why?:confused: Hes going to be a fullback in the NFL if anything.

why?:confused: Hes going to be a fullback in the NFL if anything.

In our offense (if we had a power center) Gerhart would be a scary load for opposing defenses; especially if we went four WR's; provided he can pick up blitzers.

Spread the defense out and let Gerhart run it right down the throat of an opposing defense with only six in the box. If the defense moves a seventh defender into the box, Brady audibles to a pass and hit the guy with single coverage.

Last edited:
Hes going to be a fullback in the NFL if anything

He certainly can be but I think he could also be a good power back and he has outstanding character. I could see him being very multidimensional, doing whatever the Pats needed at the time.

I might be completely wrong but that's why he attained binky status.

In our offense (if we had a power center) Gerhart would be a scary load for opposing defenses; especially if we went four WR's; provided he can pick up blitzers.

Spread the defense out and let Gerhart run it right down the throat of an opposing defense with only six in the box. If the defense moves a seventh defender into the box, Brady audibles to a pass and hit the guy with single coverage.

Remember Ron Dayne? WalterFootball.com: 2010 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Toby Gerhart
He has NO tools that we need in a Running back. NFL Defenses are going to eat this guy up. Hes not trucking any linebackers at this level and I see him getting stoned at the line because he doesn't have any change of direction skills. We need a slasher for the role your talking about and a Dexter McCluster would fit that role nicely, matter of fact Ole Miss did alot of that and he excelled at it. Im not willing to spend a second round pick on him.

Remember Ron Dayne? WalterFootball.com: 2010 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Toby Gerhart
He has NO tools that we need in a Running back. NFL Defenses are going to eat this guy up. Hes not trucking any linebackers at this level and I see him getting stoned at the line because he doesn't have any change of direction skills. We need a slasher for the role your talking about and a Dexter McCluster would fit that role nicely, matter of fact Ole Miss did alot of that and he excelled at it. Im not willing to spend a second round pick on him.

If you want a slasher then Spiller of Clemson is the guy. He is ubber fast, quick twitch and can catch the ball as well as improve our kick off returns. He has even been spotted on film picking up blitzers.

PS: Ron Dayne never had to run against six in the box like Gerhart would in our offense. Big difference.

Last edited:
If you want a slasher then Spiller of Clemson is the guy. He is ubber fast, quick twitch and can catch the ball as well as improve our kick off returns. He has even been spotted on film picking up blitzers.

PS: Ron Dayne never had to run against six in the box like Gerhart would in our offense. Big difference.

CJ is the guy but hed cost a first rounder and Id rather go defense or TE with that pick. Your right about Ron Dayne running in the Giants scheme but I see them as simmilar backs but the diffrence is Dayne was a much better back coming out (11th overall pick) and honestly I see Gerharts legs getting cut out play after play in the nfl if hes lucky, Hes going to have broken ribs come week 3 if he runs like that in the NFL.

Edit: Joe McKnight is another possibility that could come in the late second round.

Last edited:
My bet for this year's Barwin binky is Jason Worilds.

Barwin had more binky buzz at this time last year, but I have a hunch that Worilds is going to blow up the combine.

He's said to run a sub 4.5 40, and I believe it. I think his shuttle times will also be Barwin-esque.

Also like Barwin, Worilds doesn't have any experience in space as a LB, but he'll test out as being very physically capable of dropping into coverage.

Both Barwin and Worilds were special teams rock stars.

Barwin was a D-1 basketball player and tight end, which added to his binky factor.

Worilds is only a junior, which will add to his hype mystique, and he also has significantly more experience than Barwin, while being completely raw as the 3-4 OLB he projects to.

He might be my binky already, especially since he is so far below the radar at this point.
Graham is too mainstream now, lol.

Jason Worilds - Virginia Tech (HT: 6'2" | WT: 252)
Strengths:
-Extremely quick off the line, shows incredible burst and speed when coming out of a 3 points stance
-Excellent straight-line speed, can pursue plays to the sideline and chase down quarterbacks from behind, has been clocked at 4.49 in the 40 yard dash
-Special team whiz, has excelled playing “beamer ball” at Virginia Tech
-Really goes after the quarterback, puts fear into opposing offenses when he’s blitzing
-Workout warrior, benches 385 lbs., has extraordinary upper body strength

Weaknesses:
-Plays DE for Virginia Tech so he’s not used to standing up as a LB
-Raw in pass coverage, has the athletic ability but hasn’t been used much in man-to-man or zone coverage schemes
-Production hasn’t matched his ability, classic underachiever. Put together 8 sacks as a sophomore, but really should be putting up 10+ annually with his athletic talent, only has 4 so far as a junior
-Lacks polish in the running game, doesn’t read and react, pursues plays too aggressively

My bet for this year's Barwin binky is Jason Worilds.

Barwin had more binky buzz at this time last year, but I have a hunch that Worilds is going to blow up the combine.

He's said to run a sub 4.5 40, and I believe it. I think his shuttle times will also be Barwin-esque.

Also like Barwin, Worilds doesn't have any experience in space as a LB, but he'll test out as being very physically capable of dropping into coverage.

Both Barwin and Worilds were special teams rock stars.

Barwin was a D-1 basketball player and tight end, which added to his binky factor.

Worilds is only a junior, which will add to his hype mystique, and he also has significantly more experience than Barwin, while being completely raw as the 3-4 OLB he projects to.

He might be my binky already, especially since he is so far below the radar at this point.
Graham is too mainstream now, lol.

Jason Worilds - Virginia Tech (HT: 6'2" | WT: 252)
Strengths:
-Extremely quick off the line, shows incredible burst and speed when coming out of a 3 points stance
-Excellent straight-line speed, can pursue plays to the sideline and chase down quarterbacks from behind, has been clocked at 4.49 in the 40 yard dash
-Special team whiz, has excelled playing “beamer ball” at Virginia Tech
-Really goes after the quarterback, puts fear into opposing offenses when he’s blitzing
-Workout warrior, benches 385 lbs., has extraordinary upper body strength

Weaknesses:
-Plays DE for Virginia Tech so he’s not used to standing up as a LB
-Raw in pass coverage, has the athletic ability but hasn’t been used much in man-to-man or zone coverage schemes
-Production hasn’t matched his ability, classic underachiever. Put together 8 sacks as a sophomore, but really should be putting up 10+ annually with his athletic talent, only has 4 so far as a junior
-Lacks polish in the running game, doesn’t read and react, pursues plays too aggressively

It really is amazing how far below the radar Worilds is flying and you are right, once the combine hits, he is going to drop a lot of jaws.

One thing, and it is a very important one, that you did not mention is his hands. They are just phenomenal. Over the past season, I think linemen got their hands into his trunk about one of every eight to ten snaps. He's just got freakish instincts as to what the lineman is going to try - and is successful fending them off almost always.

His pass rush moves are fairly varied and very effective as well. Spins, swims, bull rushes. The only real weakness I see with him as a pass rusher is that he moves almost too fast for his own eyes. He misses tackles and sacks because he is moving so damned fast, he can't adjust to a moving target.

If you watched VT's ACC games, I cannot see how anybody would overlook Worilds. On passing plays, he was almost always disrupting the QB's timing.

On his ability as a run stopper, if I were watching him from just a highlight film or just going by measurables, I would be very dubious about Worilds' ability to set an edge. He looks very small on the field and I'm guessing that will show up at the combine. He looks like the kind of player that will just get swallowed up by ogre right tackles. He doesn't, though. His hands are just such a weapon, he's able to get out on the perimeter and disengage blocks. He also hurdles cut blocks seeming at will, which helps when he is in pursuit.

The kid had 4 sacks in the ACC last season but I haven't seen a pass rusher like this come out in a long, long time. He is still fairly raw, especially as you say, in run stopping. Still, I hope Belichick already knows what this guy is and Worilds contracts Pig AIDS right before the combine, so he cannot participate. Picking up a guy like this in a round lower than the second would be an abject steal.

It sounds like he wasn't getting much time from his secondary, which explains his 32 QB hurries.

I might take him over Sapp right now. Both are going to have huge combines.

Another 6'2" OLB ... meh. I don't think so.

I'm sticking with Austen Lane.

Guys with perfect size, athleticism, and intangibles don't come along every year. That was part of the whole Barwin craziness last year. I was against picking Barwin at 23, but given the way the draft turned out, I would much rather have Barwin right now than either Chung or Brace.

I'll take Brandon Graham. I have already been lobbying for him. So I might as well stick with him. Brandon is going to have less than ideal combine numbers. To go with his less than ideal size. But, we need wild dogs around here not computer printouts of players.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back