PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be this years Connor Barwin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeShmoe

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Place your bets now for the guy the whole board goes mad over as he has 'potentially massive upside' and wont be a top 15

Probably has to be an DE/OLB as it usually is !

I don't see one personally. Barwin was spotted early on, and by this time last year the board was already at fever pitch.

Austen Lane might garner a lot of interest as the Draft gets closer, but there's not a Barwin this year.

And I doubt there ever will be another Barwin :D

I don't see one personally. Barwin was spotted early on, and by this time last year the board was already at fever pitch.

Austen Lane might garner a lot of interest as the Draft gets closer, but there's not a Barwin this year.

And I doubt there ever will be another Barwin :D

Barwin is a legend in the annals of binkydom, not merely a player, but a force of nature. Trying to expect any binky to compare to Barwin is massively unfair. :D

I think Austen Lane compares favorably with Barwin as a prospect, and coming from a Division II school has a similar kind of "out of nowhere" feel to him. But I don't expect the level of emotional attachment/aversion that Barwin generated.

Or how about this year's Beatty? You remember him, don't you? the OT we just had to have, the one that we passed on at 23 and 26 and 34 and 40 and 41. You remember him, the OT that was driving folks people crazy when we didn't trade up for him for another 15 picks. Oh, how Belichick lost it.

But Belichick was the genious! Everyone had passed on Beatty, almost everyone twice and he was still there at 58! And then the hopes of the board were dashed when Belichick made a huge, huge reach for an OT named Vollmer.

Last edited:
The answer is Greg Hardy.

Large men with chronically injured feet who possess a declining game in college usually go in the third round or lower.

I do not see a tweener type that fits the Barwin mold, but I see a kid, T Lang, down at Troy that would make an excellent developmental pass rusher/ST demon if BB wants to take a chance on developing a young kid.

He needs more sand in the pants to anchor and set the edge against the run, but as a 3-4 pass rusher, he has oodles of potentail, depending on how he runs.

Austen Lane, clearly :)

Micah Johnson is my bink. If he isn't the second coming Ray Lewis, I give up on my amateur scouting.

It's early, so I'll list a few candidates. None strike me as Barwin-worthy yet though.

Offense:
Jahvid Best, RB ,Cal
Golden Tate, WR, ND
Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

Defense:
Corey Wootton, DE/OLB?, Northwestern
Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson
Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas

Right now, I love Tate and Wootton. Unfortunately, Wootton has Top 12 written all over him. Tate also seems unlikely because I don't see the Pats using a 1st on a WR and I don't see him getting past WR-needy and Weis involved KC at the beginning of Rd 2. And if we pick another TE in the first, I'll, I'll...drink heavily until I rationalize it somehow.

Last edited:
Maybe McClain in terms of binkydom.

It's early, so I'll list a few candidates. None strike me as Barwin-worthy yet though.

Offense:
Jahvid Best, RB ,Cal
Golden Tate, WR, ND
Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

Defense:
Corey Wootton, DE/OLB?, Northwestern
Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson
Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas

Right now, I love Tate and Wootton. Unfortunately, Wootton has Top 12 written all over him. Tate also seems unlikely because I don't see the Pats using a 1st on a WR and I don't see him getting past WR-needy and Weis involved KC at the beginning of Rd 2. And if we pick another TE in the first, I'll, I'll...drink heavily until I rationalize it somehow.
Wooton is no OLB and I'm not seeing Top 12 by any means, he is a consideration at #22. Sapp is already on the team, and he's been IR'd the past two seasons. Kindle has an early push from last season, but nothing strong so far.

Sapp is already on the team, and he's been IR'd the past two seasons.

Exactly. Well said.

Sapp's upside is probably Manny Lawson at best. Not different enough from Crable, and not enough upside to justify a 1st round pick.

Wooton is no OLB and I'm not seeing Top 12 by any means, he is a consideration at #22. Sapp is already on the team, and he's been IR'd the past two seasons.

Wootton is a 3-4 DE.

I'm still laughing about Sapp already being on the team... he definitely has a lot of Crable in him.

I want this board to hop on the Toby Gerhart bandwagon. :)

I would think Sergio Kindle. I have a feeling he will put up jaw dropping numbers at the combine

I would think Sergio Kindle. I have a feeling he will put up jaw dropping numbers at the combine

Kindle only has like 3 or 4 sacks this season. I know he gets double-teamed, but still. Besides, I don't like to use the combine as the best way to gauge a player; Vernon Gholston looked like a freak of nature at the combine and now he's the highest paid special teams linebacker in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back