Welcome to PatsFans.com

who will be the new Patriot kicker ?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by italian pat patriot, Apr 5, 2006.

1. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

i think the Paul Edinger option seems 'frozen' and probably the Pats are not interested in him...

after the first visit it seems there is only silence

and probably Edinger is not the right answer

could it means that we will go to take a kicker in the draft and have him in the regular season ?

what is yr prediction ?

2. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Doug Brien if a rookie doesn't come in and impress greatly.

3. JJDChE

JJDChE 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

We'll bring in a few low dollar guys in camp and they'll slug it out for the starting position.

If none of them can hack it we'll bring in one of the several vet kickers who are usually still sitting around at the end of camp.

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Who knows. Rookies, Vet FA will compete. Nick Novak looked pretty good last year, I think he's with Arizona but won't make the team ahead of Rackers. Someone like him will probably compete with a rookie draft choice or UDFA.

5. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +99 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Novak was really solid on FG's, but i'm not sure how he would be on kickoffs.

6. Lamanai

Lamanai On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Like everyone else, i'd like a sure thing kicker. But the truth is that the kickers on whole have improved so much over the past few decades that there just isn't much of a difference between most of the kickers in the league. There was only *one*starting kicker in the NFL who hit less than 70% of his FGs last season. We are replacing a kicker who ranked in the middle of the pack at 80%, and who earned that mostly on shorties.

Unless folks think that AV was going to improve significantly this upcoming season, there is every reason to believe we'll be able to get similar or only slightly less production from a competitive battle among draftees, UFA and veterans. We may get lucky and do better, and improve on kickoffs too.

To answer the original question: I think it will be a drafted rookie, perhaps the kid Huston they worked out.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  7. p8ryts

p8ryts Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Nick Novak would be a good option

He kicked well for MD for four years, made clutch kicks.
    Last year with Skins, he made a game winning field goal with no time left. His kickoff range is similar to Vinatieri.

8. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

He was 80% accurate, but his long FG was only 40 and his KO ave was 57. He bounced around last season between the Bears, Cowboys and Redskins before the Cardinals picked him up.

Besides, he won't be available for camp tryouts:

Cardinals | Team re-signs Novak
    Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:26:27 -0700

The Arizona Cardinals announced the re-signing of exclusive rights free agent PK Nick Novak to a one-year contract. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

9. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

personally i have nothing contrary on a rookie kicker and Huston could be
    the right choice

we probably need 'fresh legs' at this time

certainly a rookie in the NFL under pressure is not the best thingh to test
    anyway i am in favour of it in nothing of better value arrives

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Why would they re-sign him when they have Rackers ?

Regarding kickoffs, yes, his were a couple yards short than Vinatieri's. OTOH, returns off his kicks were a yard or two shorter. Is that better coverage or better hang time ? Who knows.

But Rackers is only 30 and was an amazing 13-14 from 40-49 and 6-7 from 50+. Wow.

11. Newtonian

Newtonian Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Whatever happened to the possiblity of using a poison pill in an offer to get Seattle's kicker before that loophole gets closed? Or is that too slimey a move for the Krafts?

12. Jimke

Jimke In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +70 / 4 / -2

New Pats Kicker

Probably a drafted or undrafted rookie. I think though that there is cause

for concern. The new kicker's field goal percentage may be 80% and his

kickoffs may be better than AV but will he average two game winning field

goals per season like AV?

13. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The new kicker will be me.

The good news: Even at the rookie minimum I'd be making roughly 8 times what I'm making now at my current job.

The bad news: I can't kick a football over my kitchen table, much less a goal post. "Field Goal Range" now equals "How far I can ricochet a football off an offensive lineman's helmet." And for kickoffs, can I THROW the kickoff like I used to do in my backyard? It'd probably go WAY farther.

14. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +99 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

If your trying out then i will to.

In practice as fun a bunch of people kicked to see how far they could kick away from. My farthest was 37 yard line.

15. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Isn't he the guy who shanked not one, but two, close-in opportunities for the Jets to knock off Pittsburgh back in 2004? I remember because I was rooting for the Jets (oddly enough) because if they won we wouldn't have had to go to Pittsburgh for the AFC championship game (and we had already lost to them there.)

No thanks to that guy. I'd rather take my chances on a rookie, and I bet BB agrees.

16. The Red Dog

The Red Dog Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I heard Flutie is steadily increasing his drop kick range. Adam who?

17. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Teams need to have at least two kickers in TC so they don't burn out their main kicker doing KO and Punt return drills

18. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

There is a danger to judging a guy's ability based on his last game. Would you judge AV based on his miss in Denver last January?

Take the body of work, not a single kick.

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Yeah, but with an established kicker they don't usually have a legit kicker who would like to have a chance to be with a team where he actually might win a job.

20. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Rackers missed one game last season - they must have picked this kid up after the Skins cut him after 5 games. Maybe they have some concerns about Rackers going forward - after all he was a borderline failure for the first 4 years of his career, until midway through his second season indoors - when his leg suddenly exploded. Makes you wonder too....incremental improvements are one thing, but he suddenly found himself in a big way at 29 or something...

CNNSI has some different breakdowns. For instance, Novak's average attempt was 33.7 and his average miss was 38.5. His long was 40. AV by comparison was 36.4 per attempt and 46.4 per miss, long of 49. Since he was reportedly a line drive kicker with a 57 yard KO average he must have also been kicking in front of some speedy gunners. Perhaps he's not a legit kicker, just worst case scenario backup and camp fodder.

I know you think this is a dime a dozen replacement scenario. If it were the Pats brilliant FO would have likely let AV go several million dollars and a few franchise tags ago. In hindsight it appears they wanted to retain him, were even willing to pay him the money - they just played contract hardball a tad too long and it apparently soured the player to the point he unfortunately called their bluff and moved on without giving them a chance to reluctantly match the deal they for some reason didn't anticipate he'd see.