PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be the first Head Coach fired this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the Winner/Loser is:

Lovie Smith. The Bears' talent base has deteriorated, and Lovie's not a good enough HC to compensate for it.

They traded all them picks for Cutler, and they ended with a worse record than the season before :D

I would say Mangini. Holmgren will want to go his own way soon and will shorten the leash before choking him with it. I don't see Delhomme being any better in Cleveland where he won't have the established running game to help him out and he won't have a Steve Smith to throw the ball to.

I would say Cable would be next but if he can't get fired for choking out his assistants is another season of losing really going to do it?

Lovie is on the edge too but I figure he'll get a little while to see how Martz's offense works out and if it slows down the interception machine. Since they (lovie and mike) worked together before with some success, I imagine the Bears brass will give them a good part of the season to try and pull things together. Of course, it also gives them a former head coach at OC that could easily take over as interim if they want to boot Lovie out.

Last edited:
Anyone who's been listening to 98.5 lately knows the obvious answer to this question is Belichick. Do you realize that this team has never drafted a good player? Or signed a quality free agent? Or that they've failed to qualify for 6 of the last 10 Super Bowls? I don't know how the Krafts continue to overlook this kind of ineptitude.

98.5 is onto something. Brady's T-Boning minivans full of schoolchildren all over Boston, Logan Mankins is milking cows on his ranch, Randy Moss is whining and belly-aching, the defense is atrocious, the Jets are building a glass case for the 2011 Lombardi Trophy and the Globe picks the Pats to finish 3rd and out of the playoffs at 9-7. Clearly its all Belichick's fault. The Globe adroitly points out that Belichick hasn't won a playoff game in two years and no coach wins anything after the age of 57. Belichick is 58 now, will never ever win any playoff games, and should get the boot. I doubt he makes it out of the tunnel on Sunday.

I want it to be Mangini

I think it will be Morris (Tampa Bay) they desparately need something to happen on that team.

Lovie is on the edge too but I figure he'll get a little while to see how Martz's offense works out and if it slows down the interception machine. Since they (lovie and mike) worked together before with some success, I imagine the Bears brass will give them a good part of the season to try and pull things together. Of course, it also gives them a former head coach at OC that could easily take over as interim if they want to boot Lovie out.

I dunno, I feel like Martz was brought in to give them someone to replace Lovie with. I think Lovie loses his job if the offense does anything but suck, and Martz is head coach by week 8.

How about Jim Caldwell. Manning hits the wall early and skills erode game-by-game yet his stubborness leads him to resist change and he continues to throw pick after pick and make bad decision after bad decision until the lockerroom finally (but quietly) loses complete faith in him. The team goes win-loss for a stretch and then everything breaks down and the Colts go on a 6 game losing streak and their record falls to 5-10 before game 16. Colts starters decide to play in the final game of the season to end on a 'high' but the team they are playing doesn't play it's starters yet the Colts get blown out 55-6. Manning throws 5 INTs and is pulled midway through the 3rd quarter. Curtis Painter throws 3 picks to end the game. The Colts finish 5-11. Manning finishes the season with a 48 QB rating and goes 18 TD for 35 INTs. The Media turns it's attention to the Colts who had signed Manning to a 7-year $220 million contract in October. Polian releases Manning 5 days after the 4th New England Patriots Super Bowl victory over the Green Bay Packers. Lockerroom turmoil and leadership breakdown leads to Polian firing coach Caldwell and his staff. Manning vowes to return to greatness signs with the 2-14 Buffalo Bills, only to be released on September 11, 2011 after a game 1 9/11 tribute loss to America's Team the New England Patriots. Manning throws 7 INTs on his first 6 passes in that game, his fourth pass is picked off by Wilhite who fumbles it back to Manning who proceeds to throw it right on the numbers of Nose Tackle Vince Wilfork for yet another pick. The next day Manning retires. The Colts go 0-16 for the next 3 years. Jim Irsay moves the team to Canada.

Man... you're going to be really really sticky when you wake up after that one... :D

As to the question... Brad Childress if the Vikings go bad.

How about Jim Caldwell. Manning hits the wall early and skills erode game-by-game yet his stubborness leads him to resist change and he continues to throw pick after pick and make bad decision after bad decision until the lockerroom finally (but quietly) loses complete faith in him. The team goes win-loss for a stretch and then everything breaks down and the Colts go on a 6 game losing streak and their record falls to 5-10 before game 16. Colts starters decide to play in the final game of the season to end on a 'high' but the team they are playing doesn't play it's starters yet the Colts get blown out 55-6. Manning throws 5 INTs and is pulled midway through the 3rd quarter. Curtis Painter throws 3 picks to end the game. The Colts finish 5-11. Manning finishes the season with a 48 QB rating and goes 18 TD for 35 INTs. The Media turns it's attention to the Colts who had signed Manning to a 7-year $220 million contract in October. Polian releases Manning 5 days after the 4th New England Patriots Super Bowl victory over the Green Bay Packers. Lockerroom turmoil and leadership breakdown leads to Polian firing coach Caldwell and his staff. Manning vowes to return to greatness signs with the 2-14 Buffalo Bills, only to be released on September 11, 2011 after a game 1 9/11 tribute loss to America's Team the New England Patriots. Manning throws 7 INTs on his first 6 passes in that game, his fourth pass is picked off by Wilhite who fumbles it back to Manning who proceeds to throw it right on the numbers of Nose Tackle Vince Wilfork for yet another pick. The next day Manning retires. The Colts go 0-16 for the next 3 years. Jim Irsay moves the team to Canada.

all that would get called back because of a PI call that gives the colts the game.

all that would get called back because of a PI call that gives the colts the game.

Orrrr... a rule will be passed so the teams with the most losses get into the play-offs, but then Manning would still choke!

He would pass the ball at a DB, and the ball would bounce off him and into Reggie Wayne's hands, standing in the EZ :)

Here's who I think will get axed this year (in no particular order):

Mangini: If you ever wondered if there was a human embodiment of a floating turd drifting aimlessly from coaching job to coaching job, Mangini would be that guy. And even though he's not the GM or coach, make no mistake about it, the Browns are Holmgren's team. Mangini is nothing more than a lame duck at this point. Add to the fact that it must feel so weird having students of Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells on the same team.

Lovie Smith: Basically almost everything that could have gone wrong with this team has. Ever since they lost to Indy in the SB, the Bears have just not been good. And it feels like all the moves the Bears made in the offseason (signing Martz and Peppers) are merely attempts at mending a broken and faulty infrastructure. Add to the fact that they basically gave away their 2009 and 2010 drafts to acquire an immature punk who is nothing more than a system QB, and you can see why Lovie and Angelo will be on the street.

Del Rio: Putrid team. Uninspiring QB. Terrible FO. 'Nuff said.

Jeff Fisher: The coach on this list that least deserves to be fired. I think this falls more under the category of "Moving On." Even if the Titans finish with a winning record, unless they win the SB, I still see this move happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes