PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be our #2 WR this year - Reche Caldwell or Chad Jackson?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will be our #2 WR this season?

• Reche Caldwell

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Chad Jackson

Votes: 52 69.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
mgcolby said:
WTF are you talking about? I'm assuming there is a joke in there!

I am pretty sure the Shut up Jane thing is a quote from Saturday Night live... and the intent was a comical one. I hope. :)

Edit: Jeesh, like 5 people responded while I was typing I g u e s s I t y p e s l o w l y

Last edited:
Johnny Z said:
Is Bethel Johnson good as gone?

I think the consensus so far that I have seen is he is one of the players that need to step it up to the next level or yes he is gone. Though I didn't take an official poll or nuthin'.

I think he sticks around, IF, he can step up to be a real reliable return threat and will be WR insurance. Though, this might make Troy the odd man out.... as the return/db/wr insurance person.

JoeSixPat said:
Yes... just a nonsensical, uncalled for out of the blue insult used by the original SNL crew - seemed appropriate for this thread -... so off the wall and obscure that I didn't think mgcolby would really be insulted (nor was he)

I guess part of the reason I don't look at Caldwell as a number 1 (or 2) is that

1.) There's no reason to assume that his high level of production would continue had he not been injured
2.) Even assuming he did continue his high level of production pre-injury, 54 catches is not reflective of a #1 WR - #2 yes - but he's still never proven he can sustain #2 levels either
3.) Although I hope he's healthy, WRs with a history of knee injuries shouldn't be counted on to have all-time career years
4.) Most legitimate #1 WRs command more than $1 million a year in salary. I don't think that's too much more than the veteran minimum these days, and its not like teams were breaking down his door to sign him.

I look at Caldwell as a wise insurance policy, who, if he exceeds all expectations can have a career year of 40+ catches. At $1 million that would make him a good signing - it would not make him a #1 or #2 WR.

He had 28 catches as a #3 last year. If you put him at #2, 40 catches is the absolute minimum.

Getting back to football, I don't much care who is #2 or #3. What I would really like to see is:

a) Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, and Brown make it thru training camp without knee injuries or torn hamstrings that put them on the bench during the critical learning phase.

b) Branch and Brady successfully exercise the leadership that will be necessary to get all of the new receivers to buy into the Patriots system. There will need to be a lot of long hours in the practice bubble.

c) With that in mind, I think it's probably important for the Pats to extend Branch's contract so that he is confident in his role as the leader of the Pats receiving corps.

If all of that happens, I think Jackson has the tools to be our #1 wide receiver threat with Branch putting up big numbers as the possession receiver. I don't think we've had a receiver that has Jackson's combination of speed, size, and hands.

14thDragon said:
Week 1 - Caldwel is the probable. But given that Jackson is reported to be pretty bright in picking up new offenses and with Deion taking the double teams, by the end of the year he will be the number 2.

Given that fact, does anyone believe that Troy Brown will be back in 07? I hope he just retires instead of going to a new team.
What does it matter to you, if your a Colts fan? OMG, you care if he stays in NE. :eek:

Well I feel he should stay, but he must really have love for the game to keep playing and he is loyal to NE(shouldnt say this as AV just left us...) but I agree it would be great to have him retire here.

Marquis Hill was also drafted as a Junior and simply lacked the physical development to play so he sat out his Rookie year. Watson was a Senior but was injured in camp and lost for his Rookie year. Therefore much better to ere on the side of caution with Jackson until the staff is sure he can take the punishment of playing against big-hitting Safeties.

Maroney looks very well developed for a Junior and could be worked in earlier.

Interesting -

Curran - who apparently didn't think enough of Jackson before the draft to even rate him in his pre-draft report cards (reviewing Santonio Holmes only as "the best of a mediocre WR group") was on Fox 64 tonight saying that Jackson is going to "force" team to play him through his good performance

JoeSixPat said:
Yes... just a nonsensical, uncalled for out of the blue insult used by the original SNL crew - seemed appropriate for this thread -... so off the wall and obscure that I didn't think mgcolby would really be insulted (nor was he)
Plus he got it wrong. No "shut up" in the skit. Jane curtain would give a professional, well thought out politcal position (point - counterpoint) and in response, dan would say, "Jane, you ......"

NEM said:
Actually, it is the same thing that DaBruinz DOES do in the political forum, attacks other posters. Seems to be his way of doing
things.

Thanks for your input, NEM. Glad to see you stayed on topic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back