PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be our #2 WR this year - Reche Caldwell or Chad Jackson?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will be our #2 WR this season?

• Reche Caldwell

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Chad Jackson

Votes: 52 69.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I say Cawdwell will start as number 2, but Jackson will be a number 2 target by seasons end... I also think there will be another WR in camp, but it looks like we signed 2 udfa .. So we might be set/

BTW, there's no reason to be bitter towards fantasy geeks because we know more than you.

know more about what?

fantasy means exactly what it implies....NOT REAL...you're an idiot, drunk on your own self important belief that because you can parrot 40 times and know the 4th and 5th receivers on the Arizona Cardinals depth chart, that makes you special...you're a GEEK. It's idiots like you that would argue for ten years why Troy Brown is a lousy player and how YOU would never rate him worthy of your "fantasy" squad. And BTW, you must be drunk right now....when was
Caldwell EVER SD's #1 receiver? Obviously you are some Left Coast wingnut "dude" with a skateboard and an I-Pod trippin' on some tasty shrooms at Mission Beach...you have to be to think Reche caldwell has been SD's #1 receiver...I mean 2 year old kids back here in NE know Gates is the MAN....all I know is when Caldwell was announced back here, the reaction was "this guy?"...really "dude", he's not all this big "America's Greatest Superhero" guy you're trying to make him out to be...I hope he CAN contribute but I have to think BB is going to be looking at more than a few other WR's before this roster is finalized

My my we seem to be in yet another subjective wasteland.

Okay, I have one reason for thinking Caldwell is the more likely #2 receiver - NFL experience.

Okay, so Anquan Boldin came in and had a monster first year. Some receivers do. Most do not. We do not know which Chad Jackson is yet - after all, he comes into a situation rife with opportunity. But I personally agree that Caldwell has shown flashes of brilliance. And who else is there after him and the rook? Bethel Johnson is lucky if he can show flashes of adequacy.

I'm not ruling out that Chad Jackson is this year's NFL-ready rookie sensation at his position. After all, all he has to do is get open consistently in a much faster, much higher-level game. If he does do that, the future's just plain scary bright.

But more likely, he will come in and get his 40 catches, 30 catches, whatever. It's just the way of most rookie receivers.

Caldwell's been at that level. The reason he's here is he is tired of being at that level (and being outperformed by the freaking tight end, for God's sake.) Or, the Chargers don't trust him to get past that level. BB thinks he's got it in him to get past that level, evidently. We'll see.

PFnV

Joker said:
whoa...slow down Mel Kiper III...I'm not making ANY assumptions...that was simply a generic "who knows" question...there is NOTHING written in stone yet...I think Caldwell will play but it's not like we haven't seen a David Terrell example around here lately...as for your assertion that there will be no June 1st cap cuts worth anything, I guess we'll just have to wait and see...unless YOU have some PROOF or a crystal ball...in which case I could care less about football info...how about tomorrow's best stock performers?

BTW I'm not a fantasy geek, so I woulkdn't know squat about the San Diego roster, who they signed, who they wanted , who they cut or any of that world shaking fantasy minutiae that seems to boost your fragile sensibilities.

First off. You seem to have some serious reading comprehension issues plus I wonder if you understand the english language very well. You did not raise a question about Caldwell. You made a statement. Also, I SPECIFICALLY used the phrase HIGHLY UNLIKELY regarding the potential for June 1st cuts. Also, I never made any assertions that there wouldn't be any June 1st cuts worth anything. My assertion was that it was highly unlikely that teams would make ANY June 1st cuts this year. PERIOD. I mentioned nothing about the quality of players.

I am not a fantasy geek as you say. What I am is an educated football fan who happened to live in San Diego 3 years ago and currently lives in Orange County. I've seen 5 or 6 fewer Charger games than I have seen Pats games over the last 4 years (I've watched every Patriots game that's been played in the last 4 years). I have the information available and the knowledge from watching the games to make the statements.

Now, as for you comments about June 1st. They clearly show that you don't understand the salary cap and the purpose of the June 1st date in the CBA. THIS YEAR and this year only, the June 1st date is nearly meaningless. As I said. Its because teams KNOW they have the cap money that they won't have to cut players until the cut down to 75 people when they lose the NFLE exemptions. And that is the 2nd to last week of training camp.

Now, if you'd like to bring something of value to the argument regarding what I said. Please do so. But make sure that you have done the homework to back up your position. Its clear that either you haven't or you don't understand what is being said.

And it doesn't take some one like Mel Kiper to understand that.

STFU you self important windbag....I've been a Patriots fan since the mid 60's...the last thing I need to read is some young wet behind the ears Cali punk bragging about his wealth of knowledge because he's been following the Pats for FOUR freaking years...you have NO CLUE who will or who will not be available after June 1st....use YOUR reading comprehension...I said I'll wait until then before I jump on the "THIS IS ALL WE HAVE!!! OH NO!!!" crybaby wagon.You make the claim that there will be NO players cut for cap reasons OR for any other reason it seems, at the June 1st date becasue every team is well under the cap...you are a liar.

You are also the idiot that's been crying about the Patriots not picking any linebackers and how this is "weal baaaad for the Patwiots.."....if you wewre alive back in the 80's you'd have been one of those nitwits that went beserk when we drafted Nellie because North dakota State wasn't on your list of schools that "highly educated" football fans consider any good.

Let's just wait until June 1st and see what happens...you take your "no players!!!! All teams way way under cap!!! nobody will be there!!! I'm the genius who knows everything!!! For four years!!!!" position and I'll just wait and see for myself...you see, to ME you are a classic frontrunner...a johnny come lately bandwagon jumper....you have that classic snotty West Coast superiority thing going on strong but you're just another Johnny Come Lately bandwagon jumper...you'd be better served switching team allegiance to the Cardinals now that they have the proto SoCal hipster kewl dewd QB.

Joker said:
BTW, there's no reason to be bitter towards fantasy geeks because we know more than you.

know more about what?

fantasy means exactly what it implies....NOT REAL...you're an idiot, drunk on your own self important belief that because you can parrot 40 times and know the 4th and 5th receivers on the Arizona Cardinals depth chart, that makes you special...you're a GEEK. It's idiots like you that would argue for ten years why Troy Brown is a lousy player and how YOU would never rate him worthy of your "fantasy" squad. And BTW, you must be drunk right now....when was
Caldwell EVER SD's #1 receiver? Obviously you are some Left Coast wingnut "dude" with a skateboard and an I-Pod trippin' on some tasty shrooms at Mission Beach...you have to be to think Reche caldwell has been SD's #1 receiver...I mean 2 year old kids back here in NE know Gates is the MAN....all I know is when Caldwell was announced back here, the reaction was "this guy?"...really "dude", he's not all this big "America's Greatest Superhero" guy you're trying to make him out to be...I hope he CAN contribute but I have to think BB is going to be looking at more than a few other WR's before this roster is finalized

I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom of arguing anything with this guy. Obviously he is too brilliant.

Joker said:

know more about what?

A few things. Most "Fantasy Geeks" know the importance of a Troy Brown to real football teams and I can guarantee you that there were Fantasy Geeks who had Troy Brown on their rosters in 2001 and 2002. How do I know this? Because they would come onto the Pats ESPN board and ask how we though Troy was going to do.

Any 2 year old in New England KNOWS that Gates is a TE, NOT a Wide Receiver. And anyone who has some knowledge of San Diego football knows that in 2004, Caldwell won a starting job opposite Eric Parker coming out of camp and that Caldwell was playing extremely well as the 3rd option in their passing game. Yes, even as the #1 wide receiver to Parker's #1A, he was 3rd/4th on the option chart because of All-Pro LaDanian Tomlinson and All-Pro Antonio Gates. I can't knock a guy for being the 3rd/4th option behind those two. Not when he was San Diego's leading WR prior to his injury. Nor can I knock the guy for falling to the 5th option behind Parker (who continued to get better while Caldwell was hurt), McCardell, Gates and Tomlinson last year. You know, when Caldwell was still recovering from his ACL.

No one is trying to make Caldwell out to be "America's Greatest Superhero." We are pointing out to you LEGITIMATE facts that need to be taken into consideration when evaluting Caldwell.

Oh, and BTW, why is it that you ignore perfectly legitimate points? Like the idea that maybe Caldwell wanted to go to an offense where he KNEW that he would see more than 20-30 passes a year if he regained his form? Even Troy Brown had 39 receptions last year as the #3 receiver on the Pats. And #3 receivers on the Pats have regularly caught 35 or more passes a year the last 3 years.

Now, the Patriots currently have 88 players who are signed or they have the rights too (80 players + 8 NFLE Examptions). Of those 88, the following are WRs:
Deion Branch, Chad Jackson, Reche' Caldwell, Troy Brown, Bam Childress, John Stone, Rich Musinski, Mike McGrew, Bethel Johnson, Zuriel Smith, and Matt Shelton.

Could the Pats cut someone and sign someone else? Sure. There are still some vet. Free agents out there. Would you care to offer up who you would want on the roster to replace the guys we currently have?

David Boston (no thanks), Dez White, Randy Hymes, Kevin Johnson (no thanks), Ricky Proehl (hasn't won a SB since his 2001 predicition), Johnnie Morton (old), Reggie Swinton (STer only), Eddie Berlin, Troy Edwards, Patrick Johnson, Jerome Pathon.

Kelley Washington is also, supposedly, being shopped around in trade. But, I don't particularly care for him.

Joker said:
STFU you self important windbag....I've been a Patriots fan since the mid 60's...the last thing I need to read is some young wet behind the ears Cali punk bragging about his wealth of knowledge because he's been following the Pats for FOUR freaking years...you have NO CLUE who will or who will not be available after June 1st....use YOUR reading comprehension...I said I'll wait until then before I jump on the "THIS IS ALL WE HAVE!!! OH NO!!!" crybaby wagon.You make the claim that there will be NO players cut for cap reasons OR for any other reason it seems, at the June 1st date becasue every team is well under the cap...you are a liar.

You are also the idiot that's been crying about the Patriots not picking any linebackers and how this is "weal baaaad for the Patwiots.."....if you wewre alive back in the 80's you'd have been one of those nitwits that went beserk when we drafted Nellie because North dakota State wasn't on your list of schools that "highly educated" football fans consider any good.

Let's just wait until June 1st and see what happens...you take your "no players!!!! All teams way way under cap!!! nobody will be there!!! I'm the genius who knows everything!!! For four years!!!!" position and I'll just wait and see for myself...you see, to ME you are a classic frontrunner...a johnny come lately bandwagon jumper....you have that classic snotty West Coast superiority thing going on strong but you're just another Johnny Come Lately bandwagon jumper...you'd be better served switching team allegiance to the Cardinals now that they have the proto SoCal hipster kewl dewd QB.

Sheer genius. How can one man know so much, without even bothering to look up evidence for a word he says? I wish I was that smart.

Joker said:
a
Joker - WOW. You sure told me. Acutally, you didn't. All you showed is that you are too ignorant and actually don't know much about anything. No matter how long you claim to have been following the Patriots.

Here are the facts for your.
I've been a Patriots fan since 1982. So, your claims that I am "wet behind the ears" is absolutely ignorant on your part.

Also, I've only lived in California for the past 4+ years after moving out here from North Carolina where I lived for 6 months. Prior to that, I lived in Salem, NH from 1978 -1986 and 1988-2001. 1986-1988, I lived in Germany. Nothing like showing that your an arrogant POS with your self-righteous garbage and attacking me for where I live because YOU can't actually engage in an educated debate.

Again, I read your post and never made any claims about what you said. I clarified what I said, which you clearly did not understand. I NEVER SAID that there would be NO PLAYERS cut on June 1st. I said it was highly UNLIKELY. And I gave a very VALID reason for it. Just because you don't like that reason doesn't change what I said or invalidate what I said. So, that makes YOU the liar.

Joker said:

No, I'm the educated football fan who doesn't BLINDLY follow the flock and can think for myself. And I am human and admit I can be wrong at times. Those are qualities you don't seem to have. Just becuse I don't like the fact that the Patriots didn't address the LB corps in the 1st round doesn't make me an idiot. It makes me a person with my own opinion.

Also, I was alive back in the 80's. I was actually born in 1973. Started following the Bruins in 1979. Started with the Sox in Spring of 1980 and then the Patriots in 1982. And NO. I wouldn't have been one of the "nitwits" as you call them , that would have gone beserk over the drafting of Steve Nelson. I didn't start following the draft until 1997. And I can be HONEST about that.

Joker said:

Your personal attacks on me show how arrogant you truly are. I find it truly amazing that because of where I live and what my screen name is, you think that I am a bandwagoner. My screen name is DaBruinz because hockey is my 1st love of sports and the BOSTON BRUINS are my favortie hockey team. I still have my poster signed by Dave Christian. My hockey card signed by Cam Neely when he and Janney were rookies. My poster of Joe Juneau. My autographed picture of Andy Moog. My Moog Jersey. My Samsonov Jersey.

I would appreciate it if you stop your lying about me. Its pathetic. Especially when the proof is in the posts that I did not make the claims you are saying I made.

I am no front runner. I am a die hard Pats, Sox, and Bruins fan. Been that way most of my life. And nothing you say will change that, Joker. So take your personnel attacks and follow your own advice and STFU.

Last edited:
Wow.

Nasty thread.

Sounds like the political forum.

shirtsleeve said:
Wow.

Nasty thread.

Sounds like the political forum.

Only turned nasty when people tried to engage Joker in a debate over the facts. Guess that was our mistake to try and use facts.

And, yes, I revamped my last reply to him after I cooled down a bit.

Last edited:
What "facts" moron? Your analysis of Reche Caldwell is FACT? You are a sanctimonbious little putz, I'll give you that. This all started because I said Caldwell wasn't guaranteed to be the #2 starter opposite Branch...nobody is as of right now...it was just a simple observation...then YOU came out the side of your neck like some mongoloidal pitbull with that ridiculous take on Caldwell being SD' #1 receiver...now you say he's 1a...and then you say SD had TWO number one receivers but actually Caldwell was their fourth option..and then you try to make it sound like I don't know Gates is a TE but at the same time admit HE is SD's acknowledged #1 in receptions...that's all I was pointing out to you, you freaking nitwit.

Oh and excuse me all to hell for jumping to conclusions about how long you've been a Patriots fan...it was YOU that posted that blurb about four years...next time I'll call up Kreskin and get him to read between the lines so I can ascertain your full intention. Germany huh...well, du bist ein scheisskopf applies across national lines. In any event, stick around and we'll see what happens after june 1st...and you can dazzle the board with your self proclaimed "I take the road less traveled" bull...you really expect anybody to believe your hysterical "I've been a Patriots fan since 1982!!!....(uh...but I only started following the draft in 97)".....heh.....just what is it you do in Orange County...write comedy???...or science fiction? .....heh heh heh.....good one...."yeah, I'm a rabid (insert here) fan for decades!!!....hey, did you hear they have this thing called a draft...yeah...I just found out about it...think I'll check it out..."....reads like a scene out of "Return of the Intergalactic Moron"....keep up the good work...."rabid Bruins, Sox , and Patriots fan!!! Don't you ever question me you big liar you!!!"...yeah, heh....let me guess....I notice you left out Celtics....uh...Laker fan?....and be truthful for once

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Only turned nasty when people tried to engage Joker in a debate over the facts. Guess that was our mistake to try and use facts.

And, yes, I revamped my last reply to him after I cooled down a bit.

Nice to know. The personal attacks were really flyin here.

This is an easy one, it will be Jackson becasue paper meche' Caldwell will likely get hurt in Pre Season.

I'm thinking we won't know who is #1,2,3 until the end of the season and we add up the numbers!! It'll be who's ever OPEN and catches the ball the most!!!

Reche Caldwell is not a #2 reciever and I would be stunned if he was very productive. I will certainly be pulling for him and hope he proves me wrong but I would be willing to bet he is not even on the roster next year.

Joker said:

know more about what?

Seriously, I wasn't kidding. You don't have to be bitter and defensive because you don't know anything about the guy.

Joker said:
and BTW...how do YOU know Caldwell showed "flashes of number one talent" in San Diego...what hack fantasy geek scribe did you get this "info" from?

I watch football every sunday on 4 TV's once in a while I can snag the 5th, as a Football Fan I like to watch as much football as possible and I like to know as much about other teams as I do my own (well almost). You don't have to be a "fantasy geek" to know and understand football outside of your favorite team, most football fans watch teams other then the Patriots on Sunday as well.

DaBruinz said:
David Boston (no thanks), Dez White, Randy Hymes, Kevin Johnson (no thanks), Ricky Proehl (hasn't won a SB since his 2001 predicition), Johnnie Morton (old), Reggie Swinton (STer only), Eddie Berlin, Troy Edwards, Patrick Johnson, Jerome Pathon.

Kelley Washington is also, supposedly, being shopped around in trade. But, I don't particularly care for him.

I think Troy Edwards would be worth a shot unless he has character issues I don't know about. I'm not saying as #2 but he should be able to beat out Bethel or maybe Bam, though I have to admit I am kind of intrigued by his likeness to Troy Brown. So I will consider Bam an enigma for now.

DaBruinz said:
Could the Pats cut someone and sign someone else? Sure. There are still some vet. Free agents out there. Would you care to offer up who you would want on the roster to replace the guys we currently have?

With, in some order, Branch, Caldwell, Jackson, Brown as the top 4 plus Bethel and Bam presumably competing for 5 and possibly 6 (if they both look good), I have no desire to go and get another guy. Especially with 3 TE and our new H Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back