PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be among the 5 cuts???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Originally I thought it was 10..but it's 5 and that is a heck of a lot easier. With 10, it would be a bit harder.
I think there might be a surprise cut of a vet, a player most had at least competing for a position. No ideas, but I just sense that one will be gone in a bit of a surprise move.
Also, with younger players eligible to go to IR without going through waivers, definitely S Barrett will join the injured list. It's also possible that S Lockett will join him or even LB Cunnningham...depending on the severity of their bumps and bruises. It's impossible to gauge
this given the secrecy and the hidden veil of silence the team puts up. (That is as it should be, but if any of these are more season ending, IR could be the place.)
The rest of the cuts will be from some of the younger players who the team gas decided upon and do not wish to see more of in the last game. A RB?? A WR?? A TE?? I tend to think MORE there than on the OL or on D as I just think they may wish to see more of the young defensive players in game situations.

My guess is that Kaczur goes to the IR, freeing up one spot. I think that Barrett can be IRed now without having to clear waivers now and that would free up another spot.

My guess from there would be Rod Owens, Carson Butler and Ryan Wendell..

I would guess Carson Butler, Thomas Clayton, Buddy Farnham, Brian Simmons, DeAngelo Willingham.

Chris Taylor, Rod Owens, Rob Myers, Darnell Jenkins, and Dane Fletcher are all distinct possibilities too.

As for Ryan Wendell, I would be extremely surprised if he is cut. I'm guessing that he not only makes the 53-man roster, but barring an injury to him (or the return of Kaczur and/or Mankins) he will be part of the 45-game roster all season too.

I would guess Carson Butler, Thomas Clayton, Buddy Farnham, Brian Simmons, DeAngelo Willingham.

Chris Taylor, Rod Owens, Rob Myers, Darnell Jenkins, and Dane Fletcher are all distinct possibilities too.

As for Ryan Wendell, I would be extremely surprised if he is cut. I'm guessing that he not only makes the 53-man roster, but barring an injury to him (or the return of Kaczur and/or Mankins) he will be part of the 45-game roster all season too.

Per National Football Post, Simmons just got cut to make room to resign Terrence Johnson. Patriots re-sign Terrence Johnson, waive Brian Simmons | National Football Post

Per National Football Post, Simmons just got cut to make room to resign Terrence Johnson. Patriots re-sign Terrence Johnson, waive Brian Simmons | National Football Post
I was rooting for Simmons but I also really thought Johnson was going to surprise...NOT as one on the 53 but as a PSquader. My guess is that Simmons could return...as a PSquader...and that Johnson will play in the last game. I liked him
and think he would have had a better shot if he didn't have an injury in camp. Welcome back!!

No way Fletcher or Jenkins are going anywhere. Both impressed in TC. Neither have been that bad in games either.

Johnson coming back tells us...................

...that Wheatley is headed to IR?

It tells us that we need an extra scrub to take reps on Thursday. Even if Wheatley were to go to IR, that wouldn't open a roster spot at corner. We would just keep Bodden, McCourty, Butler, Wilhite and Arrington. If Wheatley were to IR, it might open a roster spot for Lockett.

...that Wheatley is headed to IR?

Seems like Lockett might be a candidate for IR himself. In fact, and in keeping with the thread, I'll guess that Lockett, Barrett, Slater & Kaczur will all be IRed, and Ventrone will be waived.

I think they MAY wait on Kaczur..unless they REALLY think in 2 months or so he will not recon IR..over in time..that might NOT be known now..Barret IR...now or in a week..MY GUESS is now as this is when a non-waiver IR can be done...Ditto for Lockett..Just think they will IR him..bad luck 2 years ..showed promise as an ST guy... NOT sure about the others..Slater, Cunningham...et all. Slater I think they will cut..they have OTHER better ST players and while he is versatile..it's a numbers game. Cunningham is a mystery..Crabled this year?? NO NOT that!! Hope is he'll make the team and learn as he recovers. I would say 2 of the 5 IRed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes