PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be a Patriot longer - Belichick or Brady?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will remain a Patriot longer?

• Bill Belichick

Votes: 41 83.7%
  • Tom Brady

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I thought this was as good a time as any to ask this question

With Brady having a likely contract extension in the next upcoming months do you feel he will remain a Patriot longer than coach Belichick's reign here? or will Bill still be coaching here once Brady has retired or gone elsewhere in 5 years or so?

Lets avoid the "they will leave at the same time" response..I don't see it that way

Feel free to explain why you feel what your answer is if you wish

Last edited:
Re: Who will be a Patriot longer - Belichick or Brady

IMO Belichick, i think he'll want to prove that he can win without Brady. Also its not like hes in his late Sixties or Seventies, hes still relatively young

Easily Belichick. His body isn't being torn apart week after week for about 11 months a year. And honestly, unless he has two-plus years of 7-9 or worse after Brady, I don't see him being fired. He can ride off into the sunset as the greatest Patriots coach (so far :D).

Bill and it's not even close... the only way I see Bill leaving any time soon is if somehow he does not extend Brady, Brady leaves and & Bill goes on to have some not so good seasons...

Brady has something(/someone) to do after he retires. Football is basically Bill's life.

Bill he may not be head coach but he may stick around as GM or defensive coordinator 10-15 years from now.

I voted Belichick because I don't see any way Brady would stick around without BB captaining the ship.

I think another Super Bowl victory could make Belichick consider retirement

It is alot of stress on NFL Head Coaches as well as players so you never know when Bill could decide to get married again and stay on the golf course or fishing boat all summer

With that being said I still think BB is here longer

Belichick will be with the Pats long after Brady. I think Belichick will naturally move to the front office and take on his next challenge of continuing to build the team and hand picking his replacement along with the Krafts.

I know this is Bill 36th year as a coach and he has nothing to prove. However, he is only 58 and absolutely loves being around the game.

If he wanted slow down, Kraft will find him a position, GM or VP in charge of football personnel, or VP in charge of football operations.

I thought this was as good a time as any to ask this question

With Brady having a likely contract extension in the next upcoming months do you feel he will remain a Patriot longer than coach Belichick's reign here? or will Bill still be coaching here once Brady has retired or gone elsewhere in 5 years or so?

Lets avoid the "they will leave at the same time" response..I don't see it that way

Feel free to explain why you feel what your answer is if you wish

You specify that you are asking how long BB will be "coaching" and not contributing in some other capacity.

I actually could see them going out together, despite your aversion to that response. The stats on other QB's and HC's indeed make it not unlikely, though certainly not certain.

The Average Retirement Age for a SB era HOF QB is 37.5 after 15.3 years in the League. The range is anywhere from 34 after 12 seasons (Troy Aikman) to 44 after 17 seasons (Warren Moon). Popular comparisons would be Elway, Marino and Montana all of whom retired at 38.

So, if Tommy retired at 37, he would hang 'em up after five more seasons at the end of the 2014/15 season and 15 years in the League. If he retired at the same age as John, Dan and Joe, he would do so after six more seasons at the end of the 2015/16 season and 16 years in the League. Sign me up for the latter.

The Average Retirement Age for a SB era HOF HC is 60.3 after 18.1 years as an HC. The range is anywhere from retiring at 42 after 10 seasons (John Madden) to 72 after 17 seasons (Marv Levy)--Don Shula was an HC for 33 seasons but was "only" 65 when he retired. Popular comparisons would be Chuck Noll at 59 (after 23 seasons as HC), Bill Walsh at 57 (10 seasons), Vince Lombardi at 56 (10 seasons) and BB's inspiration, Paul Brown, at 67 (21 seasons).

Bill Belichick will be 58 on opening day this season and will have been an HC for 15 seasons.

So, he's older than Lombardi and Walsh at their retirement and will be the same age as Noll, after this year. He is nine years younger than Paul Brown was when he retired.

So, it all depends on what he wants to do with the rest of his professional life; he might have confided that in some of you, but he hasn't told me anything about it. He seems to be in good health and to enjoy what he is doing. But, none of us knows (at least I don't) the toll in terms of stress and life style limitations that the job is taking and has taken on his body and mind.

He could retire after this season, two years shy of the average age and years as HC, and still be assured of an alcove in Canton along with a lucrative post retirement career in the media and on the speech circuit.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that Belichick will continue to coach for another six or seven years (up to the age of 65 and just shy of Paul Brown's retirement age) and possibly go out with Tommy, hopefully after a carefully planned succession for both of their jobs.

The Coach is here for life. I think there has been something between him and the owner since Tuna was in the fold. They are a great team. I think BB will be the brains behind whatever coaching staff they put on the field until he is PuP.

Easily Belichick. His body isn't being torn apart week after week for about 11 months a year. And honestly, unless he has two-plus years of 7-9 or worse after Brady, I don't see him being fired. He can ride off into the sunset as the greatest Patriots coach (so far :D).

I think stress and lifestyle is as much a killer as anything purely physical. I wouldn't underestimate its toll on Belichick or any HC. He just turned 58 and has been an HC for 15 seasons. It's a truly brutal job from July to January and really doesn't get much easier with the Draft and Free Agency signings through May and June.

I know this is Bill 36th year as a coach and he has nothing to prove. However, he is only 58 and absolutely loves being around the game.

If he wanted slow down, Kraft will find him a position, GM or VP in charge of football personnel, or VP in charge of football operations.

The kick him upstairs people are a hoot. He is all those things already...and what he cares most about to this day is teaching/coaching. He won't do to someone else what Tuna attempted to do to him.

I also think it's a hoot that the person who felt it was a great time for this poll AGAIN precluded the option they will leave in tandem, just because he didn't think so. Oddly it's as likely as either leaving apart from the other. And not likely to occur for another 6 or more seasons since we do know Brady intends/hopes to play until he's 40...

Which means if we're lucky it won't be as good a time as any for another of these polls until at least 2013 or so when Bill's present contract is believed to be due to expire...

The Coach is here for life. I think there has been something between him and the owner since Tuna was in the fold. They are a great team. I think BB will be the brains behind whatever coaching staff they put on the field until he is PuP.

I could see something like that, but in a Parcellian role rather than as HC in a few years. The problem of course will be that it will be difficult to get a great HC if he knows he will always be in Belichick's shadow; let's not forget BB's decision to quit as "HC of the NYJ" rather than work for his old mentor.

He is already all of those.

EDIT: did not see MLR's answer.

Last edited:
The kick him upstairs people are a hoot. He is all those things already...and what he cares most about to this day is teaching/coaching. He won't do to someone else what Tuna attempted to do to him.

I also think it's a hoot that the person who felt it was a great time for this poll AGAIN precluded the option they will leave in tandem, just because he didn't think so. Oddly it's as likely as either leaving apart from the other. And not likely to occur for another 6 or more seasons since we do know Brady intends/hopes to play until he's 40...

Which means if we're lucky it won't be as good a time as any for another of these polls until at least 2013 or so when Bill's present contract is believed to be due to expire...

Agree 100%. And, it's almost unthinkable that they will kick him upstairs simply because it would be virtually impossible to find a first rate coach to work in his shadow (we all remember BB resigning as the "HC of the NYJ" rather than play under Parcells--Tony Sparano anyone?). The data on other coaches' and QB's retirement ages actually suggest that they could leave together.

Last edited:
You specify that you are asking how long BB will be "coaching" and not contributing in some other capacity.

I actually could see them going out together, despite your aversion to that response. The stats on other QB's and HC's indeed make it not unlikely, though certainly not certain.

The Average Retirement Age for a SB era HOF QB is 37.5 after 15.3 years in the League. The range is anywhere from 34 after 12 seasons (Troy Aikman) to 44 after 17 seasons (Warren Moon). Popular comparisons would be Elway, Marino and Montana all of whom retired at 38.

So, if Tommy retired at 37, he would hang 'em up after five more seasons at the end of the 2014/15 season and 15 years in the League. If he retired at the same age as John, Dan and Joe, he would do so after six more seasons at the end of the 2015/16 season and 16 years in the League. Sign me up for the latter.

Don't forget that in today's NFL, with players taking much better care of themselves these days (year round), for quarterbacks, relatively speaking, 40 is the new 30.

Belichick, by far, will be here longer. Brady wants to play until he's 40, but it's kind of hard to see it. Meanwhile, I think BB will be here for at least another decade or so. He'll have something to prove after Brady leaves and he'll probably want to prove it.

This will be his 16th season as an HC and while he clearly loves the game, none of us can know the extent of the toll this job has taken on his health. As for "only 58," Chuck Noll hung em up at 59, Lombardi at 56 (admittedly for health reasons) and Bill Walsh at 57. Paul Brown made it to 67, but was not covered in glory at the end. Shula hung around to 65, but I'm not sure he's a role model either.

As for putting him in as a GM, how would you attract a first class HC to work in his shadow? Belichick couldn't work for Parcells, who has to end up with a Tony Sparano who is just happy to have the job. Holmgren has Mangini. What kind of precedent is that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye