PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who were the best free agents available? (It's not really the best FA year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Reading an AP story in the Projo I saw they referred to Asante as the "best player" available in free agency.

That might be true - if it is, its not exactly the best free agent market out there

I know the sky is falling for many fans, but I think BB and Pioli are being true to form.

Last year when Adailus Thomas was available the team moved decisively.

I don't get the feeling there were any players the front office was that hot for this year, regardless of need.

Indeed the rest of the NFL seems more focused on trades than free agency.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Re: Who were the best free agents available?

Reading an AP story in the Projo I saw they referred to Asante as the "best player" available in free agency.

That might be true - if it is, its not exactly the best free agent market out there

I know the sky is falling for many fans, but I think BB and Pioli are being true to form.

Last year when Adailus Thomas was available the team moved decisively.

I don't get the feeling there were any players the front office was that hot for this year, regardless of need.

Indeed the rest of the NFL seems more focused on trades than free agency.

Thoughts?

I would agree. There were not very many quality free agents available this year, nevermind quality free agents worth spending money on. These "sky is falling" idiots are just that. Even if we don't get Moss signed that money will be used whether it's on Offense or Defense. Our fan base seems to get more and more fairweather and whiny every year. How much longer until we're the Atlanta Braves of Football (with more championships)????

Randy Moss was and remains the best free agent available.

Randy Moss was and remains the best free agent available.

Agreed. I have no idea what would make anyone thing that Samuel is better than Moss, but those people are wrong, and there really isn't even anything to debate about it.

Agreed. I have no idea what would make anyone thing that Samuel is better than Moss, but those people are wrong, and there really isn't even anything to debate about it.

But I mean really - if Samuel is the BEST free agent in this year's draft, I have a hard time thinking that the Patriots front office should get in a bidding war for guys they're not all that excited about.

So what we have is a lot of fans and pundits who will be faulting the Patriots for not doing enough, but when one stops and looks, did we really want to put a ton of $$ in guys that don't fit here?

I think what we've seen thus far is that this season will be a return to quality depth. There will be players signed once the initial rush is over - and that will provide quality depth.

All that being said, BB did misjudge the situation at WR in 2006 when Branch held out - but I don't think he's misjudged the crop of FAs this year. Indeed the focus on trades indicates other teams felt the same way.

2 Names-

Randy Moss and Lance Briggs

Briggs has not signed anywhere yet either hmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back