PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who we are, where we stand…and some Maroney stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
First, the Maroney stuff…

Since I am always right at the front of the line to bash the kid, I will also push my way up front to congratulate him on two pretty solid games against the Jets and the Saints…

I don’t like his recent case of fumble-itis (coughing it up in three straight games), but I do like the way he is running harder and lowering his shoulders/head and delivering blows to defenders. (He damn near knocked out Darren Sharper last night!)

He also has developed a great nose for the end zone.

The only bad thing I saw last night (fumble aside) was on one play when he seemed to stop cold and stand straight up and Jonathon Vilma wrapped him up for a 2-yard loss. Other than that, he has been looking pretty good.

I still think we should have taken a flyer on Larry Johnson and I still don’t think Maroney is our long-term answer, but he is more than serviceable for now.

Second, who we are and where we stand…

To me, after 12 weeks of football, this is how I see the 2009 Pats.

Explosive on offense, decent on defense, uneventful on special teams.

The offense (read: Brady) relies too much on two players – Welker and Moss – but those are two pretty damn good players.

We still need a solid cold-weather, knock-the-snot-out-of-the-defense running back and that guy may already be on the roster, but he needs to reveal himself (Sammy Morris, can you hear me?)

I know Charlie Weis is now rich beyond his wildest dreams ($18m buyout at Notre Dame – donuts and Malomars all around, bartender!) - but I still would love to see the roly-poly one come back and run this offense.

The defense seems to get shaky at the most inopportune times against good teams, allowing big comebacks by Denver and Indy, and never getting any tread at Nawlins.

That said, I still like our young kids. I think Belichick needs to be looking for a shutdown cornerback and primo pass rusher, but we can be okay with what we have right now.

Dean Pees really needs to find a way to motivate these young players to stiffen up in critical situations these last few weeks before the post-season or they will be in trouble come January.

I miss Mike Vrabel a lot.

For me, the bottom line is this:

My expectation is that the 2009 Pats will win 11-12 games, win their division, pull a wild card playoff game at home, win it, then go on the road and lose.

Anything above that would be a pleasant surprise, as would the continued development and confidence of Laurence Maroney.

Post-Script:

Now that I live back up in the Commonwealth, I will miss going to the annual Pats game at Pro Player Stadium, or whatever the fork they call it now. We didn’t win often down there in my 25-30 Pats games between the Orange Bowl and Pro Player, but when we did, it was fun to ride the Fish Heads out of the building!

I did get to go the Falcons game end of September, and I’ll be back out at Gillette tailgating at Rodman Ford and watching my lads play the Jags on 12/27/09, so it ain’t all bad, but there is nothing like beating the Fish in Miami!

Peace,
ADPF

Last edited:
I miss the old Vrabel, not the one we would have had this year had we kept him.

Last edited:
First, the Maroney stuff…

Since I am always right at the front of the line to bash the kid, I will also push my way up front to congratulate him on two pretty solid games against the Jets and the Saints…

I don’t like his recent case of fumble-itis (coughing it up in three straight games), but I do like the way he is running harder and lowering his shoulders/head and delivering blows to defenders. (He damn near knocked out Darren Sharper last night!)

He also has developed a great nose for the end zone.

The only bad thing I saw last night (fumble aside) was on one play when he seemed to stop cold and stand straight up and Jonathon Vilma wrapped him up for a 2-yard loss. Other than that, he has been looking pretty good.

I still think we should have taken a flyer on Larry Johnson and I still don’t think Maroney is our long-term answer, but he is more than serviceable for now.

Second, who we are and where we stand…

To me, after 12 weeks of football, this is how I see the 2009 Pats.

Explosive on offense, decent on defense, uneventful on special teams.

The offense (read: Brady) relies too much on two players – Welker and Moss – but those are two pretty damn good players.

We still need a solid cold-weather, knock-the-snot-out-of-the-defense running back and that guy may already be on the roster, but he needs to reveal himself (Sammy Morris, can you hear me?)

I know Charlie Weis is now rich beyond his wildest dreams ($18m buyout at Notre Dame – donuts and Malomars all around, bartender!) - but I still would love to see the roly-poly one come back and run this offense.

The defense seems to get shaky at the most inopportune times against good teams, allowing big comebacks by Denver and Indy, and never getting any tread at Nawlins.

That said, I still like our young kids. I think Belichick needs to be looking for a shutdown cornerback and primo pass rusher, but we can be okay with what we have right now.

Dean Pees really needs to find a way to motivate these young players to stiffen up in critical situations these last few weeks before the post-season or they will be in trouble come January.

I miss Mike Vrabel a lot.

For me, the bottom line is this:

My expectation is that the 2009 Pats will win 11-12 games, win their division, pull a wild card playoff game at home, win it, then go on the road and lose.

Anything above that would be a pleasant surprise, as would the continued development and confidence of Laurence Maroney.

Post-Script:

Now that I live back up in the Commonwealth, I will miss going to the annual Pats game at Pro Player Stadium, or whatever the fork they call it now. We didn’t win often down there in my 25-30 Pats games between the Orange Bowl and Pro Player, but when we did, it was fun to ride the Fish Heads out of the building!

I did get to go the Falcons game end of September, and I’ll be back out at Gillette tailgating at Rodman Ford and watching my lads play the Jags on 12/27/09, so it ain’t all bad, but there is nothing like beating the Fish in Miami!

Peace,
ADPF

I always like your threads Armen, always optomistic. But I have to disagree with some of your optimism. They lose in Miami, and we may well be toast. Your point about our offense being explosive, I agree, somewhat. They are explosive against poor to average defenses, once they face a good defense, they get shut down pretty easily. The difference between the 2007 offense and 2009, is that if you keyed on Moss or Welker, they had Stallworth to burn you deep, and Gaffney to burn you short range. They don't have those options anymore, Stallworth and Gaffney's replacements are receivers with very little experience OR deep speed. mini-Welker (Edelman) and Stanbach and Aiken strike fear in nobody. Obviously a decent receiver must be brought in. A good OC would be nice too (please get Charlie !)

On defense, it's simple, PASS RUSH ! We were the first team to win the Super Bowl with our starting corners on IR or just injured, we beat the Eagles with Ty Law and Tyrone Poole hurt, and Asante Samuel and Randal Gay as starters. Very impressive, considering we beat some great teams that year in the playoffs. Why ? Because we could put pressure on the QB. Even in 2007, the Pats were second in sacks, and I believe we sacked Eli Manning 3 or 4 times in the SB. You can have average to below average db's succeed if you pressure the QB. That was the Belichick way, but it fails miserably if we can't sack the QB.

Also, I don't wanna seem like I'm panicking, it may be just the lack of playmakers on defense, but the game may be passing Belichick bye. The former mad scientist of defensive football can't fool anyone anymore with his defensive schemes. In fact, they are downright conservative nowadays. Also, the king of second half adjustments has seen his team get blown out 55-14 in the second half of the Pat's losses.

As I said in a thread that got locked, sports is cyclical, for example, the SF 49er's. They won 5 SB's in 14 years, and haven't sniffed the playoffs in 6 or 7 years (or longer), The yankees won 4 out of 5 WS's, then went 8 years. We may be witnessing the decline, and death of the Pats Dynasty. 2007 may have been this Dynasty's last chance for glory, we may just have to accept that. I for one, will always love the Pats (been a diehard Pats fan since 1975), always be fond of the Brady/Belichik era, but last night (and other games this year) just showed me, that I shouldn't expect the Pats to win the SB anytime soon. Not over reacting, just being honest in what I see. Lots of changes need to happen next year to remain competitive, or our Pats will just fade away like the 49er's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always like your threads Armen, always optomistic. But I have to disagree with some of your optimism. They lose in Miami, and we may well be toast. Your point about our offense being explosive, I agree, somewhat. They are explosive against poor to average defenses, once they face a good defense, they get shut down pretty easily. The difference between the 2007 offense and 2009, is that if you keyed on Moss or Welker, they had Stallworth to burn you deep, and Gaffney to burn you short range. They don't have those options anymore, Stallworth and Gaffney's replacements are receivers with very little experience OR deep speed. mini-Welker (Edelman) and Stanbach and Aiken strike fear in nobody. Obviously a decent receiver must be brought in. A good OC would be nice too (please get Charlie !).
I am not sure where I come down on all these issues...I am more in agreement that I feel it will be a Wild Card win..and then travel and lose..than anything worse. Even if Miami wins..7-5...Miami is 6-6 and they have their last game with Pitts...not at all easy. I am not sure they get shut down easily with a good D. I agree having no 3rd receiver option that is REALLY big hurts a lot..say Hello to Mr Galloway. Mini-Welker Edelman is actually taller...but..maybe much much more mini in what he can do.

On defense, it's simple, PASS RUSH ! We were the first team to win the Super Bowl with our starting corners on IR or just injured, we beat the Eagles with Ty Law and Tyrone Poole hurt, and Asante Samuel and Randal Gay as starters. Very impressive, considering we beat some great teams that year in the playoffs. Why ? Because we could put pressure on the QB. Even in 2007, the Pats were second in sacks, and I believe we sacked Eli Manning 3 or 4 times in the SB. You can have average to below average db's succeed if you pressure the QB. That was the Belichick way, but it fails miserably if we can't sack the QB.
I do agree that is an issue..but..the last two games, both Manning and Brees do not get sacked much..period. I think pressures are far more important..not enough of those. Some pressure on Manning, but the D could not solve the hurry up offense. Last night is was blown coverages and poor tackling more than a pass rush, although it would have helped.
Also, I don't wanna seem like I'm panicking, it may be just the lack of playmakers on defense, but the game may be passing Belichick bye. The former mad scientist of defensive football can't fool anyone anymore with his defensive schemes. In fact, they are downright conservative nowadays. Also, the king of second half adjustments has seen his team get blown out 55-14 in the second half of the Pat's losses.
The D shut down the Jets totally in the first half...yes, it's the Jets, but they did shut them down. Obviously some teams ARE fooled. I agree with the halftime adjustments...not many..not there as strongly. I agree..the 09 Vrabel I would be keen on..the younger Vrabel definitely. Actually I think many are panicking.
QUOTE=scott99;1618558]As I said in a thread that got locked, sports is cyclical, for example, the SF 49er's. They won 5 SB's in 14 years, and haven't sniffed the playoffs in 6 or 7 years (or longer), The yankees won 4 out of 5 WS's, then went 8 years. We may be witnessing the decline, and death of the Pats Dynasty. 2007 may have been this Dynasty's last chance for glory, we may just have to accept that. I for one, will always love the Pats (been a diehard Pats fan since 1975), always be fond of the Brady/Belichik era, but last night (and other games this year) just showed me, that I shouldn't expect the Pats to win the SB anytime soon. Not over reacting, just being honest in what I see. Lots of changes need to happen next year to remain competitive, or our Pats will just fade away like the 49er's.[/QUOTE] Very overstated..PANIC in Boston town...That would be the case MORE if the D was full of older players with a mass decline in play...and a QB that was not coming back from a serious injury. Firstly, Brady's return..which was slower than many understood..if he had been playing up to his usual play, I think 2 wins more..(Jets/Broncs) So to be honest, you need to take his early tough going play into account. Also is the fact this D is young...and taking away the line, the LBS/DBs..very young!! So I don't think it's exactly a fair comparison. With Brady coming back from an injury/D so young, more a transition year than a year fading away.

Last edited:
I miss the old Vrabel, not the one we would have had this year had we kept him.

True, but I am sure he would bring a little mroe spirit than we have right now...

By the way, did Derrick Burgess or Junior Seau even play last night?

True, but I am sure he would bring a little mroe spirit than we have right now...

By the way, did Derrick Burgess or Junior Seau even play last night?

Yes, Burgess was one of 75 Patriots that missed the tackle on Pierre Thomas' TD catch and run. He's pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes